Being a lawyer and having a family -- your thoughts?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Stanford4Me

Re: Being a lawyer and having a family -- your thoughts?

Postby Stanford4Me » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:44 am

I plan on having a family and talked with a lot of lawyers who have families during my interviews this week. Granted, I'm in Texas so it's probably easier here than somewhere like NYC.

BaronDetroit

Postby BaronDetroit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 am

firemedicprelaw wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Aren't all the youngsters negligently breeding essentially living off of goverment subsidies to ensure their existance in the name of helping children?

I really hope that was a pathetic (and, BTW, not funny) attempt at a joke.

No joke. I'm saying that an unemployed person having just bred can become a claimant for his or her entitlement from whatever programs exist in the particuliar jurisdiction.

d34d9823

Postby d34d9823 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 am

BaronDetroit wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:Aren't all the youngsters negligently breeding essentially living off of goverment subsidies to ensure their existance in the name of helping children?

No joke. I'm saying that an unemployed person having just bred can become a claimant for his or her entitlement from whatever programs exist in the particuliar jurisdiction.

You've clearly never been unemployed or "bred".

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:22 am

d34dluk3 wrote:
BaronDetroit wrote:
firemedicprelaw wrote:

You've clearly never been unemployed or "bred".

Eh, don't try to convince people like him. He's from a specific sub culture that taught him all about poverty and the working class without the use of things like facts or statistics.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:58 pm

tilapiahollandaise wrote:"Mendenhall Spam" made a comment on abovethelaw which articulated perfectly a worry I've had in my unconscious for quite some time:

If all the intelligent, responsible, motivated, disciplined people of the world forgo child rearing in order to have a career (even though the two are not mutually exclusive), then only the ignorant, irresponsible people who don't have their life together are raising children.

What do you think? Do you plan to raise a family in the future? If so, how do you plan to go about doing it?

Yes, I definitely do. Make bank until I get my wife prego, then take a massive pay cut and get down to about 60 hours a week.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”