Federal Judge Interview - How long till answer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
phonepro

Federal Judge Interview - How long till answer?

Postby phonepro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:59 pm

I interviewed last Wed. and still havent heard anything. He said he'll let me know within a week b/c he was still interviewing. He also said he was hiring up to 8 interns!

The interview went so well and he concluded with telling me the hours and days and everything... i was convinced i got it. not so much anymore.

Is there no hope? I'm surprised he didnt let me know either way already.
Last edited by phonepro on Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RMstratosphere

Re: Fedearl Judge Interview - How long till answer?

Postby RMstratosphere » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:05 pm

Don't sweat it yet. Fed. judges are incredibly buys people. I'll be doing the same type of internship this summer so I don't mean any disrepect at all, but you (we) are an intern. Just not that important (relatively).

Big Shrimpin

Re: Fedearl Judge Interview - How long till answer?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:40 pm

Timelines? Hmmm...when is the next Olympics?

phonepro

Re: Federal Judge Interview - How long till answer?

Postby phonepro » Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:09 pm

hmm...

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:31 pm

I got an email the next day. I hear those places move pretty quick. Don't freak though, all chambers work a little differently.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 1:36 pm

yea at this point i guess i didnt get it. i'm really surprised he didnt have a clerk call either way.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Fri Jan 14, 2011 4:40 pm

Rejections almost always take a while.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:02 pm

Anecdotally, offers are given on the spot or within a couple of days.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:36 pm

cornellbeez wrote:Anecdotally, offers are given on the spot or within a couple of days.

I agree. Oddly, my judge told me she was going to "get back to me w/ in a couple weeks" after they conducted more interviews. I got the offer the next day. So you never know. Hopefully OP gets lucky.

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:17 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
cornellbeez wrote:Anecdotally, offers are given on the spot or within a couple of days.

I agree. Oddly, my judge told me she was going to "get back to me w/ in a couple weeks" after they conducted more interviews. I got the offer the next day. So you never know. Hopefully OP gets lucky.

Thanks. I've accepted I didn't get it.

Is it never okay to contact them?

phonepro

Postby phonepro » Tue Jan 25, 2011 7:19 pm

update: i still have yet to hear from the judge. i sent a thank you note and then a week later an update with my grades (which were good). In the words of Stephanie Tanner... "How Rude!"

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jan 25, 2011 11:16 pm

Considering that it's already late into January, is it stupid to turn down an interview for a federal judicial internship due to location? It's feasible for me to be there, but I'd much prefer something closer to my school. A part of me is saying that I shouldn't be picky at this point.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:44 pm

f0bolous wrote:Considering that it's already late into January, is it stupid to turn down an interview for a federal judicial internship due to location? It's feasible for me to be there, but I'd much prefer something closer to my school. A part of me is saying that I shouldn't be picky at this point.

posts like this freak me out. I have only applied to 3 or 4 places thus far and interviewed at one. got a call back for a 2nd interview and am just hoping that it works out so I can be done with this process early. I feel like knowing where I will be by the beginning of february is incredibly early---and feel really panicked when I see posts like the above :shock:

lawloser22

Postby lawloser22 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:50 pm

f0bolous wrote:Considering that it's already late into January, is it stupid to turn down an interview for a federal judicial internship due to location? It's feasible for me to be there, but I'd much prefer something closer to my school. A part of me is saying that I shouldn't be picky at this point.

I think it depends on your grades, as they're the best indication of your likelihood of finding something better.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:56 pm

goosey wrote:

posts like this freak me out. I have only applied to 3 or 4 places thus far and interviewed at one. got a call back for a 2nd interview and am just hoping that it works out so I can be done with this process early. I feel like knowing where I will be by the beginning of february is incredibly early---and feel really panicked when I see posts like the above :shock:

Thats quite a good ratio. I've applied to about 150 judges and only have 2 interviews set up so far. Though I just updated with my grades a week ago, so hopefully that will get me a few more calls.

goosey

Postby goosey » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:17 pm

dakatz wrote:
goosey wrote:

Thats quite a good ratio. I've applied to about 150 judges and only have 2 interviews set up so far. Though I just updated with my grades a week ago, so hopefully that will get me a few more calls.

wow...I am really behind if this internship falls through.

huckabees

Postby huckabees » Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:25 pm

dakatz wrote:
goosey wrote:

Dakatz, your grades are amazing and you attend a good school. I'm really surprised that you've only had 2 interviews. (I know they haven't taken into account your grades yet, but they're probably a good indication of what the rest of your app looks like.)

At one point, I thought judicial internships were incredibly hard to obtain, but the more people I talk to, the more I believe it's related to the timing of your app and fit with the chambers. I know you sent out your apps pretty early, so that makes it even more mystifying why you haven't received more interviews. Did you get anyone to look over your app? Not sure what district(s) you applied to (or if you applied to CoA judges), but it shouldn't be that hard even in competitive districts, though it seems many CoA judges just don't take 1L interns.

On the other hand, this could be a blessing in disguise for you... you could probably get something "better" than a judicial internship with those grades.

dakatz

Postby dakatz » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:13 pm

huckabees wrote:
dakatz wrote:
goosey wrote:

Dakatz, your grades are amazing and you attend a good school. I'm really surprised that you've only had 2 interviews. (I know they haven't taken into account your grades yet, but they're probably a good indication of what the rest of your app looks like.)

At one point, I thought judicial internships were incredibly hard to obtain, but the more people I talk to, the more I believe it's related to the timing of your app and fit with the chambers. I know you sent out your apps pretty early, so that makes it even more mystifying why you haven't received more interviews. Did you get anyone to look over your app? Not sure what district(s) you applied to (or if you applied to CoA judges), but it shouldn't be that hard even in competitive districts, though it seems many CoA judges just don't take 1L interns.

There was actually a typo in the very last line of my writing sample. But I can't imagine it would make that huge a difference. My first batch of apps to federal judges was 100 apps and yielded zero interviews. Sent out another 45 or so to state judges and got one interview set up. Last week sent out my grades and got one call from the first batch of 100. Im getting nervous that a typo is making them ignore my grades and just toss my app in the trash. Applied to 40 firms also but thy was jus a week ago and its all rejections so far

On the other hand, this could be a blessing in disguise for you... you could probably get something "better" than a judicial internship with those grades.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:44 pm

Dakatz, I think you are going to be okay. You have top grades at a top school. Rock the interviews you got and you will be fine. I only got 5 interviews out of a similar mailing (and one was a few weeks ago and I still haven't heard back and one was from an app I sent last week).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”