What class ranking would you be happy with? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What class ranking would you be happy with?

Top 1%
9%
Top 2%
1%
Top 5%
7%
Top 7.5%
3%
Top 10%
14%
Top 15%
4%
Top 20%
9%
Top 25%
18%
Top 30%
22%
Top 50%
13%

Total votes: 223

keg411

Platinum

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:53 pm

I cried all winter break because I thought I totally screwed up my exams. I didn't go in expecting to do well, though. If you had asked me before school, I would have said top 1/4. If you asked me after exams, I would have said median. Now, I'd be upset if I dropped to top 15%.

Doritos

Silver

Post by Doritos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:54 pm

keg411 wrote:I cried all winter break because I thought I totally screwed up my exams. I didn't go in expecting to do well, though. If you had asked me before school, I would have said top 1/4. If you asked me after exams, I would have said median. Now, I'd be upset if I dropped to top 15%.
I want to be you

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:55 pm

Doritos wrote:
keg411 wrote:I cried all winter break because I thought I totally screwed up my exams. I didn't go in expecting to do well, though. If you had asked me before school, I would have said top 1/4. If you asked me after exams, I would have said median. Now, I'd be upset if I dropped to top 15%.
I want to be you
I also go to a TT. So I'm pretty much life-pwnd anyway.

General Tso

Gold

Post by General Tso » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:02 pm

keg411 wrote:
Doritos wrote:
I want to be you
I also go to a TT. So I'm pretty much life-pwnd anyway.
I dunno...based on the OCI threads from last semester, I think top 5-10% at a T2 is better than top 20-25% at a lower T1.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top10% ......... [100%] 23436256736
Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0
So true. Gotta start 0L prep!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:10 pm

We will see. I still have another semester, and I just think it's going to be really really difficult to repeat (lawl skool is freakin' hard). And I'll drop to 15% if I somehow managed to screw up the last 50% of my grade in Contracts too.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:20 pm

keg, you make me insanely jealous. Rumor mill is ours come out Wednesday.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:keg, you make me insanely jealous. Rumor mill is ours come out Wednesday.
I don't mean to make people jealous and I think I'm starting to get to the edge of asshole since I'm sure more of my classmates still read here than I think. I'm going to start keeping my mouth shut more ... or get one of those mod-approved new user names :oops: .

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:40 pm

0L Bob Sacamano: Top 25% would be gravy, at the very very least above median. Top 10% ideal.
1L Bob Sacamano, pre-exams: Top 25% would be gravy, at the very least above median. Top 10% ideal.
1L Bob Sacamano, post-exams, pre-grades: WILL DO ANYTHING TO ATTAIN SWEET SWEET MEDIAN.
2L Bob Sacamano: Hope I stay in the top 10%!

Hang in there, 1Ls. You probably didn't do nearly as bad as you thought you did.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:45 pm

BobSacamano wrote: Hang in there, 1Ls. You probably didn't do nearly as bad as you thought you did.
Someone has to.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:50 pm

td6624 wrote:
BobSacamano wrote: Hang in there, 1Ls. You probably didn't do nearly as bad as you thought you did.
Someone has to.
But hopefully not the self-selecting, over-achieving sample of students on this site. So many of the people on here make A's look easy that I'm starting to feel like perhaps I actually have a shot at some A's as well (which of course means that I'm in for some disappointment, but I'll leave that for when grades come out)

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:53 pm

td6624 wrote:
Someone has to.

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:58 pm

dakatz wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Someone has to.
But hopefully not the self-selecting, over-achieving sample of students on this site. So many of the people on here make A's look easy that I'm starting to feel like perhaps I actually have a shot at some A's as well (which of course means that I'm in for some disappointment, but I'll leave that for when grades come out)

yes

hopefully

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:00 pm

td6624 wrote:
dakatz wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Someone has to.

yes

hopefully
Lol its sort of my "maybe I'll get A's by association" argument. Completely illogical, but makes me feel a little less horrible

td6624

Silver

Post by td6624 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:03 pm

dakatz wrote:
Lol its sort of my "maybe I'll get A's by association" argument. Completely illogical, but makes me feel a little less horrible
eh, whatever works, really. i could have gotten a couple A's or all B-'s and C's. I have absolutely no idea. It's a strange and unfamiliar feeling.

ReesesPieces15

New

Post by ReesesPieces15 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:08 pm

dakatz wrote:
td6624 wrote:
Someone has to.

My hopes exactly

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:09 pm

td6624 wrote:
dakatz wrote:
eh, whatever works, really. i could have gotten a couple A's or all B-'s and C's. I have absolutely no idea. It's a strange and unfamiliar feeling.
Yeah, I'm sort of the same way. I'm in a study group with a few people that I see as very smart and probably amongst the brightest in our class. When taking practice exams together, we were consistently pounding out highly similar answers that were all very detailed, nuanced, etc. and were tailored to what our professor likes. But that left us confused. Are we all coming up with the same things consistently because we have mastered the course material (relatively speaking of course), or does it mean that we are just coming up with the things everyone else is coming up with. So yeah, it could be A's or it could be straight B's. I would be surprised by neither. Any B- or C would shock me though.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:11 pm

dakatz wrote: When taking practice exams together, we were consistently pounding out highly similar answers that were all very detailed, nuanced, etc. and were tailored to what our professor likes. But that left us confused. Are we all coming up with the same things consistently because we have mastered the course material (relatively speaking of course), or does it mean that we are just coming up with the things everyone else is coming up with.
Summarizes my feelings very well.

random5483

Silver

Post by random5483 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm

Happy? Are 1Ls ever happy even if they rank #1? Summer jobs, spring grades, actual summer job, transfers, OCI, etc etc. No happiness for us!

Ok, maybe I exaggerate! :)

Encyclopedia Brown

Silver

Post by Encyclopedia Brown » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.
:shock: It's like you read my mind!
We're just keenly aware of how to win the lawl school game at Woostle.
Ditto on these numbers. The game's about the same at GW.

pinkzeppelin

Bronze

Post by pinkzeppelin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:17 pm

In undergrad, I'm not happy unless I have the top grade in the class. I imagine I'll be the same in LS until it beats it out of me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:24 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:In undergrad, I'm not happy unless I have the top grade in the class. I imagine I'll be the same in LS until it beats it out of me.
Boy how I would kill to do it undergrad style. Control is a nice thing. Law school takes it away from you.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”