What class ranking would you be happy with?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

What class ranking would you be happy with?

Top 1%
21
9%
Top 2%
3
1%
Top 5%
15
7%
Top 7.5%
6
3%
Top 10%
31
14%
Top 15%
9
4%
Top 20%
19
9%
Top 25%
41
18%
Top 30%
48
22%
Top 50%
30
13%
 
Total votes: 223

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:40 pm

The title kind of says it all...what percentile would you be happy with? Grades just came out at my school so I was just wondering :)

Edit: I added Top 20%, but I left in Top 7.5% because it is one that my school lists in the percentile charts that it publishes
Last edited by jbarl1 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 3 times in total.

User avatar
KMaine
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:57 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby KMaine » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:45 pm

Perhaps take out Top 7.5% and put in Top 20%?

User avatar
Cavalier
Posts: 1994
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:47 pm

Number one or bust.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Top 75% and I'd stay in school.

User avatar
uwb09
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 am

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby uwb09 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:50 pm

by happy, do you mean "100%" happy, or "i haven't completely screwed over my career" happy or what?

If i don't get the top grade in every class, even as delusional as that is, I'm not gonna be completely happy, because I see that as a missed opportunity.

But if I finish top 25% I'm not gonna complain about it, but i'll still be a little upset that I didn't do as good as I felt I could have.

User avatar
Big Shrimpin
Posts: 2468
Joined: Fri Oct 24, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Big Shrimpin » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:52 pm

top 5ish or drop out, duh

User avatar
jbarl1
Posts: 563
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:40 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby jbarl1 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:24 pm

I think I accidentally erased the votes when I changed the numbers in the poll...sorry! Please re-vote!

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7249
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:32 pm

Top 20% for this semester. Would make moving into the top 10% a legitimate possibility. Top 1/4th and below I'll be disappointed with myself.

clwilson6
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:31 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby clwilson6 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:02 pm

As long as I can remain in school, I'd be happy but my vote really doesn't mean squat considering I'm only going to law school to find a possible second career. I'm too old for the Big Law BS and stress. I'd be happy doing menial public interest work. Don't have the same concerns about money (government's paying for it all, prior military) and I didn't want to sit on my seat warmer twiddling my thumbs wondering what if for the rest of my life.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:04 pm

Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby keg411 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:13 pm

I say top 5% based on the info I have about 50% of my K's grade. If I fall out of the top 10%, I basically bombed the last half of my contracts class.

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby swc65 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Whatever rank gets me a damn job will make me happy!

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:37 pm

romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.
:shock: It's like you read my mind!

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:41 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.
:shock: It's like you read my mind!

We're just keenly aware of how to win the lawl school game at Woostle.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jan 13, 2011 5:51 pm

romothesavior wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.
:shock: It's like you read my mind!

We're just keenly aware of how to win the lawl school game at Woostle.
The hundreds of hours of research on this very subject burned it into my brain

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:03 pm

I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top10% ......... [100%] 23436256736
Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:11 pm

before exams: top 25%
after exams: will sacrifice a lamb if I'm anywhere close to median

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:28 pm

I would be ecstatic to be in the top 10%.
I would be somewhat happy to be top quarter.
Anything below that would make me very very unhappy.

User avatar
Doritos
Posts: 1232
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:24 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Doritos » Thu Jan 13, 2011 7:54 pm

romothesavior wrote:Top 1/3 to be content
Top 1/4 to be happy
Top 10% to be ecstatic

And I'd consider dropping if I was below median, and I certainly would at bottom quarter.


exactly

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:03 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top10% ......... [100%] 23436256736
Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0

Geist13 wrote:before exams: top 25%
after exams: will sacrifice a lamb if I'm anywhere close to median

This and this, for sure. Some of the most confident people I knew before LS have not fared as well as expected. I also know a lot of people who felt good all semester about the material, and but after the exam they were saying they would kill for median. Many people who felt awesome after the exam were unpleasantly surprised when grades come back.

It really is impossible to know how you will do in law school, and anyone who banks on finishing at a certain level and is willing to drop a huge sum of money on a bad school because they just know they're gonna kill it in law school is nuts.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:I think this poll may be biased by the upper class men with grades. I'd love to see the 0L version of this. "Where I think I'll be after first semester:"

Top10% ......... [100%] 23436256736
Top20% ......... [0%] 0
Top50% ......... [0%] 0

Geist13 wrote:before exams: top 25%
after exams: will sacrifice a lamb if I'm anywhere close to median

This and this, for sure. Some of the most confident people I knew before LS have not fared as well as expected. I also know a lot of people who felt good all semester about the material, and but after the exam they were saying they would kill for median. Many people who felt awesome after the exam were unpleasantly surprised when grades come back.

It really is impossible to know how you will do in law school, and anyone who banks on finishing at a certain level and is willing to drop a huge sum of money on a bad school because they just know they're gonna kill it in law school is nuts.


The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:30 pm

Geist13 wrote:The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).

Breathe easy for now and don't stress. I cannot even describe how badly I thought I screwed up contracts (I wrote one sentence for one of the policy questions and I missed at least 4 of the 20 short answer). Yet I still got above median and am very pleased with my semester overall. I have talked to so many people who have felt like crap and done well and vice-versa. So don't freak out.

If you get your grades and they suck, then you can commence the fretting. But until then, just try to keep your sanity and don't get too down (easier said than done, I admit).

User avatar
megaTTTron
Posts: 980
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:26 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:35 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Geist13 wrote:The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).

Breathe easy for now and don't stress. I cannot even describe how badly I thought I screwed up contracts (I wrote one sentence for one of the policy questions and I missed at least 4 of the 20 short answer). Yet I still got above median and am very pleased with my semester overall. I have talked to so many people who have felt like crap and done well and vice-versa. So don't freak out.

If you get your grades and they suck, then you can commence the fretting. But until then, just try to keep your sanity and don't get too down (easier said than done, I admit).


Credited. Although it's hard to take that advice.

Geist13
Posts: 739
Joined: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:21 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby Geist13 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:36 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Geist13 wrote:The amazing thing is that you can't even understand this until you actually take the exams. All semester I felt really confident about the material. I had a much better grasp than most of the people I would talk to and a couple professors indicated that they thought I was doing really well with the material when I met with them in office. Then the first exam hit and I was blown away at how I struggled. Then the second and third ones came I felt even worse. It wasn't even because I didn't know the material or spent all my time combing through my outline. The exams are just f-ing hard and the time constraints are a real bitch. You just don't understand it until you actually sit down for a real exam and suffer through it. I understand that its very possible that I end up doing alright (no grades yet). But honestly, if my performance is top third, then I don't know what the hell the rest of my section was doing (especially since they all seemed so happy).

Breathe easy for now and don't stress. I cannot even describe how badly I thought I screwed up contracts (I wrote one sentence for one of the policy questions and I missed at least 4 of the 20 short answer). Yet I still got above median and am very pleased with my semester overall. I have talked to so many people who have felt like crap and done well and vice-versa. So don't freak out.

If you get your grades and they suck, then you can commence the fretting. But until then, just try to keep your sanity and don't get too down (easier said than done, I admit).


Oh definitely. I'm not even too stressed. I really enjoyed the semester and did my best. Now I have an entire semester and the opportunity to make the necessary changes.

User avatar
chicagolaw2013
Posts: 584
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: What class ranking would you be happy with?

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:23 pm

Vote: top 10%
Real life: probably top 30-ish % :oops: :cry:




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: heresthesitch and 6 guests