3.2 gpa, now what?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
theplaymaker
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby theplaymaker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm

tips for getting this crap gpa up 2nd semester 1L?

User avatar
thuggishruggishbone
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:53 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

just talk to profs about what went wrong--usually it's you missed issues on the exam. just do your best to try to get that gpa up for oci

lawstudent8685
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 12:31 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby lawstudent8685 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:30 pm

that is not a crap gpa lol

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:37 pm

lawstudent8685 wrote:that is not a crap gpa lol


You don't know where the OP goes to school.

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby savagedm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:43 pm

bk1 wrote:
lawstudent8685 wrote:that is not a crap gpa lol


You don't know where the OP goes to school.


Word, at my school that's a great GPA because the curve is artificially deflated to a low B-. But there are many schools which the curve is set at a solid B, which would mean the OP got maybe one or two grades above the curve, or a few above it and a couple really below it. It's all relative.

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Bustang » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:44 pm

3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:47 pm

Bustang wrote:3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."


How do you know OP goes to your school?

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Bustang » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:51 pm

bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."


How do you know OP goes to your school?


I don't. I was simply reinforcing what others were saying in this thread.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:55 pm

Some schools curve to a 3.3 and higher. If op goes to one of those schools, his gpa is indeed crap.

No need to speculate.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:57 pm

Bustang wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."


How do you know OP goes to your school?


I don't. I was simply reinforcing what others were saying in this thread.


So basically saying something completely pointless?

theplaymaker
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:10 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby theplaymaker » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:15 pm

I don't want to give away my school-but yeah it one that curves high. 3.2 is a little below median. Not sure what the hell i'm gonna do next semester

User avatar
savagedm
Posts: 392
Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2008 2:51 am

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby savagedm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:57 pm

bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."


How do you know OP goes to your school?


I don't. I was simply reinforcing what others were saying in this thread.


So basically saying something completely pointless?


Image

User avatar
Bustang
Posts: 439
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Bustang » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:35 pm

bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:
bk1 wrote:
Bustang wrote:3.2 at my school is top 30%. I don't think that qualifies as "crap."


How do you know OP goes to your school?


I don't. I was simply reinforcing what others were saying in this thread.


So basically saying something completely pointless?


I was being optimistic for the OP. Shoot me.

But, yes.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:38 pm

Good schools often have "easy" curves and bad schools often have "hard" curves. I would be much happier with a 3.2 below median at a T6 than a 3.2 above median at a T4 that curves to a C+.

3.2 being above or below median is relevant, but the school is relevant as well.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Gatriel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:49 am

theplaymaker wrote:tips for getting this crap gpa up 2nd semester 1L?


3.2 doesn't mean much. What is your schools median?

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Jan 13, 2011 2:57 am

random5483 wrote:Good schools often have "easy" curves and bad schools often have "hard" curves. I would be much happier with a 3.2 below median at a T6 than a 3.2 above median at a T4 that curves to a C+.

3.2 being above or below median is relevant, but the school is relevant as well.


I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what does it really mean, in practice, for students when their schools have "high" or "low" curves? It seems to me that the GPA number at which the curve is set isn't really that important since class rank/being above or below median seems to be more important than absolute GPA numbers. Again, sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about.

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Gatriel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:14 am

So lets say you have a 3.0 GPA.

In a school with a "high curve" the median score would be say a 3.33, which makes that 3.0 a poor score, as it is sub median, however if the school has a "low curve" the median score might be a 2.67 thus making the 3.0 an excellent GPA. Schools have differing medians for differing reasons, I believe it is an element of the CDO to make their students look better than X schools students because their students GPA is higher.

For example, Loyola recently changed their median GPA from a B (3.0) to a B+ (3.33) curve, and doing it retroactively for 3 past years. Ergo, someone who graduated from Loyola in 09 with a 3.0 now has a 3.33. Their class rank hasn't changed, but for lay paralegals who might sort resumes for an attorney in a large firm a higher GPA looks better even if the class rank in the same.

Hope that helps!

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby random5483 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:22 am

Ialdabaoth wrote:
random5483 wrote:Good schools often have "easy" curves and bad schools often have "hard" curves. I would be much happier with a 3.2 below median at a T6 than a 3.2 above median at a T4 that curves to a C+.

3.2 being above or below median is relevant, but the school is relevant as well.


I'm sorry if this is an ignorant question, but what does it really mean, in practice, for students when their schools have "high" or "low" curves? It seems to me that the GPA number at which the curve is set isn't really that important since class rank/being above or below median seems to be more important than absolute GPA numbers. Again, sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about.




My comment was directed at the people who place all their focus on whether the student is above or below median. I merely was commenting that a 3.2 below median GPA at a top ranked school is a much better position than a 3.2 above median GPA at an average or low ranked school. Simply put, since GPA scales by school and since the school's ranking is unknown we cannot accurately gauge the poster's situation.

A school's curve has a very limited impact for its applicants. Most legal employers know about school rankings and they focus on class rank more than merely GPA. However, with governmental employment for example, there are often strict GPA cutoffs. A school with a more lenient curve would have a higher percentage of applicants qualify for the aforesaid jobs.

StudentAthlete
Posts: 88
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:48 am

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby StudentAthlete » Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:13 am

It's contingent upon the curve, not necessary GPA as it was in undergraduate school. LS= curved and thus GPA's vary

User avatar
Ialdabaoth
Posts: 240
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:26 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Ialdabaoth » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:26 am

Thanks for the explanations everybody--very helpful! And I didn't know about the GPA cutoffs for some government positions. That's interesting and seems to be another reason (at least for me) to attend a top school with a high curve. Thanks for the info!

User avatar
Gatriel
Posts: 2015
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby Gatriel » Thu Jan 13, 2011 1:36 pm

Ialdabaoth wrote:Thanks for the explanations everybody--very helpful! And I didn't know about the GPA cutoffs for some government positions. That's interesting and seems to be another reason (at least for me) to attend a top school with a high curve. Thanks for the info!



Many "top" schools don't have a curve or GPA at all. It is just Low Pass -> Pass -> High Pass. This is definitely the way you want to go.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: 3.2 gpa, now what?

Postby vanwinkle » Sun Jan 16, 2011 12:24 am

theplaymaker wrote:tips for getting this crap gpa up 2nd semester 1L?

thuggishruggishbone wrote:just talk to profs about what went wrong--usually it's you missed issues on the exam. just do your best to try to get that gpa up for oci

Dude, seriously, quit having conversations with yourself. Banned for alting.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: encore1101, hairbear7, LawHammer, Stubbazubba, Yahoo [Bot] and 15 guests