Taking a class not based on the case-study method - bored Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Veyron

Gold

Taking a class not based on the case-study method - bored

Post by Veyron » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:27 am

You would think that this would be great but reading only rules for several hours at a time makes me want to gouge me eyeballs out. Where's the story? Where's the human interest? Fuck this shit, if I wanted to read a list of rules I would have studied engineering.

beach_terror

Platinum

Re: Taking a class not based on the case-study method - bored

Post by beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:39 am

fine, i'll be nice.
Last edited by beach_terror on Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:02 am

beach_terror wrote:coolstorybro.gif
This meme's getting old quick.

I had a section of a class last semester taught without the case method, and I found the same thing. If you have to read hundreds of pages a week, it's nice to have a few stories thrown in.

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:25 am

I was just telling somebody about this the other day. There is this crazy hatred of "cases" around school and people get all amazed when I tell them that I love cases and the case study method. People get all uptight about "memorizing" cases for exams, but it isn't even hard. There's a story; just remember the story, what happened and how the court applied the law. It's extremely interesting, even in seemingly boring cases and subject matter.

cornellbeez

Bronze

Post by cornellbeez » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:12 pm

I'm taking a course like this now, and it feels like I am back in undergrad. Liking it, at least the material.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:19 pm

As the class has progressed, I dislike it less. Its a good way of teaching the material. Still, I miss my cases and the few that are sprinkled throughout the book just are not doing it for me.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:46 am

Interesting. I wasn't even aware (1L here) that there was a method of teaching law classes that was strictly non-case-study style. I would say "non-traditional" but that's way too confusing here and I'm sure you can see how it would be haha

Having said that, I'm not sure I'll ever be in a class that's taught the way you describe. I'd love to try it at least once I think. It seems like it seems more cut-and-dry than your typical law class and thus would make exams easier to study for, IMHO. You can speak on that better than me though, for sure

Pizon

Bronze

Post by Pizon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:01 pm

None of my classes this semester is based on the case-study method. :shock:

For the first time in 1.5 years, I feel like a (semi-) normal human being.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:13 pm

Pizon wrote:None of my classes this semester is based on the case-study method. :shock:

Really? I won't be nosy and ask where you go to school at lol but how far along are you? 1L or beyond?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:23 pm

sethc wrote:
Pizon wrote:None of my classes this semester is based on the case-study method. :shock:

Really? I won't be nosy and ask where you go to school at lol but how far along are you? 1L or beyond?
This isn't that strange. I don't have any doctrinal classes this semester, either.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:25 pm

Renzo wrote:
sethc wrote:

This isn't that strange. I don't have any doctrinal classes this semester, either.

I never thought it to be strange.. I'm just curious when/if & what to expect.

California Babe

Bronze

Post by California Babe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:40 pm

sethc wrote:

I would guess from "for the first time in 1.5 years" Pizon is a 2L.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:54 pm

California Babe wrote:
sethc wrote:

I would guess from "for the first time in 1.5 years" Pizon is a 2L.

Yup, maybe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:03 pm

Veyron wrote:You would think that this would be great but reading only rules for several hours at a time makes me want to gouge me eyeballs out. Where's the story? Where's the human interest? Fuck this shit, if I wanted to read a list of rules I would have studied engineering.
Totally unrelated, but we just read the case that had that addendum on the deposition in your profile. Amazing.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:38 pm

megaTTTron wrote: Totally unrelated, but we just read the case that had that addendum on the deposition in your profile. Amazing.
Dude, I'm so incredibly stressed/tired that I read your post as seeing the OP's "Fuck this shit, if I wanted to read a list of rules I would have studied engineering." quote as something you read in a casebook or the like ahaha. That would be so funny to hear during a legal proceeding lol

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:39 pm

sethc wrote:
megaTTTron wrote: Totally unrelated, but we just read the case that had that addendum on the deposition in your profile. Amazing.
Dude, I'm so incredibly stressed/tired that I read your post as seeing the OP's "Fuck this shit, if I wanted to read a list of rules I would have studied engineering." quote as something you read in a casebook or the like ahaha. That would be so funny to hear during a legal proceeding lol
hahah get off TLS and watch some football or something man. lol

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:13 pm

megaTTTron wrote: hahah get off TLS and watch some football or something man. lol
you kiddin me?!!? what do you think I'm doing?! I'm posted up stretched on my couch with a laptop-table hovering over me & tv-tray beside me full of snacks and drinks.. and have been all day! I'm set! At least til the Green Bay game.. gotta go to B-Dubs so I can pay close attention and have endless beer lol..Go Pack Go!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Veyron

Gold

Post by Veyron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:34 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
Veyron wrote:You would think that this would be great but reading only rules for several hours at a time makes me want to gouge me eyeballs out. Where's the story? Where's the human interest? Fuck this shit, if I wanted to read a list of rules I would have studied engineering.
Totally unrelated, but we just read the case that had that addendum on the deposition in your profile. Amazing.
Yah, our Ks casebook edited out the good shit. Fuck them, are they TRYING to make Ks borring? Also, JJs dig at Connecticut is 180.
Last edited by Veyron on Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:35 pm

sethc wrote:
megaTTTron wrote: hahah get off TLS and watch some football or something man. lol
you kiddin me?!!? what do you think I'm doing?! I'm posted up stretched on my couch with a laptop-table hovering over me & tv-tray beside me full of snacks and drinks.. and have been all day! I'm set! At least til the Green Bay game.. gotta go to B-Dubs so I can pay close attention and have endless beer lol..Go Pack Go!
Yes but are you wearing an NFL snuggy? If not, MEGATTTRON FTW!

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:41 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
sethc wrote:

Ok dude this thread is now officially alarming. While it isn't NFL, I actually within the comforts of an MLB snuggy that my girlfriend got me for xmas hahahah.. I hate goddamn snuggies, but she KNEW that one with my fav team on it was too big of a dilemma for me haha

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:16 pm

sethc wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
sethc wrote:

Ok dude this thread is now officially alarming. While it isn't NFL, I actually within the comforts of an MLB snuggy that my girlfriend got me for xmas hahahah.. I hate goddamn snuggies, but she KNEW that one with my fav team on it was too big of a dilemma for me haha
a-mazing. got mine from my brother. i was a pre-owner snuggy hater, now, LOVE it.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:32 pm

Go SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Diehard fan my entire life. I was there when for the Beast Quake when Lynch went 67 yards to seal the deal. I was right there in the end zone to watch him cut back an jump in. Best sports moment I've ever seen.

You heard it here btw: The Seahawks will beat the Bears tomorrow. After that, I have no predictions, but I've analyzed this game through and through and I actually think the Seahawks have the edge.

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:13 pm

A'nold wrote:Go SEAHAWKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Diehard fan my entire life. I was there when for the Beast Quake when Lynch went 67 yards to seal the deal. I was right there in the end zone to watch him cut back an jump in. Best sports moment I've ever seen.

You heard it here btw: The Seahawks will beat the Bears tomorrow. After that, I have no predictions, but I've analyzed this game through and through and I actually think the Seahawks have the edge.
I've got the bears. Let the ultimate battle begin A'nold.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:58 pm

'Hawks over Bears for me too, dude! No offense by that, but I hate Cutler & Co. and I think we (GB) have a better shot at beating Seattle to get to the Super Bowl. But, that's contingent on us beating Atlanta tonight duh... FUCK!! Rodgers just got sacked as I was typing this. This game is giving me anxiety lol

sports team emotional investment + law school = :x

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:02 pm

sethc wrote:'Hawks over Bears for me too, dude! No offense by that, but I hate Cutler & Co. and I think we (GB) have a better shot at beating Seattle to get to the Super Bowl. But, that's contingent on us beating Atlanta tonight duh... FUCK!! Rodgers just got sacked as I was typing this. This game is giving me anxiety lol

sports team emotional investment + law school = :x

GB is owning right now. And all this talk is irrelevant anyways, Pats are going all the way.

Let's stop hijacking this thread: http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5#p3867955

Also, hilarious that a'nold hasn't seen any of this yet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”