Difference b/w 1st and 2nd Semester is

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
soaponarope

Difference b/w 1st and 2nd Semester is

Postby soaponarope » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:01 pm

a lot of people seem depressed/detached. I noticed there are fewer smiling faces in the hallways... and it feels like there is tension in every classroom. Is it just me/my school? I would assume the "mood" my classmates display are due to grades/having their dreams crushed, i.e. not top 10%. FTR, I'm not top 10% (right on the cusp of 15th %).

What is the atmosphere in your school, 2nd semester?

SN: Con Law is awful.

PirateCap'n

Re: Difference b/w 1st and 2nd Semester is

Postby PirateCap'n » Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:33 pm

soaponarope wrote:SN: Con Law is awful.

Agreed. Especially when your professor wrote the book and treats you like high schoolers with busy work and stupid questions.......

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:06 am

Con law is awful is Civ Pro 2 makes me really regret bad mouthing Civ pro 1 which seems so much easier now. We have a few people that are outright pissed off about grades and everyone else including myself waiting for final grades and upset that the ORM wasnt graded over break.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:08 am

soaponarope wrote:a lot of people seem depressed/detached. I noticed there are fewer smiling faces in the hallways... and it feels like there is tension in every classroom. Is it just me/my school? I would assume the "mood" my classmates display are due to grades/having their dreams crushed, i.e. not top 10%. FTR, I'm not top 10% (right on the cusp of 15th %).

People have either turned depressed or into raging assholes.

And I can totally commiserate on the Con Law front. I want to stab myself in the eye I'm so bored in there.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 am

I don't mind ConLaw so far. It's kind of like a History class, and while my teacher is kind of dry, I like him. It's weird because I thought I would totally hate ConLaw and I don't.

The only difference is that I feel like I'm doing way less work, but that could be that it took forever to do anything at the beginning of last semester and finals were like a 24/7 shitshow.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:34 am

People were stressed out and studying hard since November. Now people are stressed out about grades, summer jobs, etc. Endless cycle of stress. Would be funny if I were not stressed out too. Looks like I might not end up with "good" options for my 1L summer. Time to pray some good opportunities or interviews come my way soon.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:17 am

I doubt that article in the NYT helped.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:58 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
soaponarope wrote:a lot of people seem depressed/detached. I noticed there are fewer smiling faces in the hallways... and it feels like there is tension in every classroom. Is it just me/my school? I would assume the "mood" my classmates display are due to grades/having their dreams crushed, i.e. not top 10%. FTR, I'm not top 10% (right on the cusp of 15th %).

And I can totally commiserate on the Con Law front. I want to stab myself in the eye I'm so bored in there.

+1000

Interesting enough, I notice a lot more chatter going on before class sessions begin this semester. In the last few days, it's seemed to have gotten louder and more joyous, presumably because mostly everyone knows their grades. However, it could be that I'm just hella depressed/stressed/not talking to anyone and that is what makes everyone else sound louder and happier...

Poker faces all around...

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

Bronte wrote:I doubt that article in the NYT helped.

I've heard a lot about that recently, from fellow students. Apparently the career office has been hearing about it too. :oops:

Someone even stopped me on the street and asked me if I had read the article. I guess I was a marked law student with my university bookstore bag.

I think that article, and the coverage it has been getting, is many students first exposure to the stark reality of the legal job market. It's a rude awakening to some, especially as grades come back. And as the summer job search continues, I think some people are also realizing that even finding an unpaid internship is going to be difficult.

MrAnon

Postby MrAnon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:18 am

You now know who the haves and the have nots are. Forget all that jazz about people recovering from fall semester and bouncing back to have an amazing spring. Statistically it doesn't happen very often. The bottom half of the class, heck even the bottom 75% exists and pays $25,000 this semester just to keep the top quarter afloat in its lofty perch.

Drake014

Postby Drake014 » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:20 am

chicagolaw2013 wrote:

I had such an awesome con law professor.... I feel sorry for everyone else. I actually looked forward to going to class most of the time. Con law can be painfully boring if you don't have a good professor.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:27 am

Drake014 wrote:I had such an awesome con law professor.... I feel sorry for everyone else. I actually looked forward to going to class most of the time. Con law can be painfully boring if you don't have a good professor.

I decided that I'm going to start attending a different section's conlaw class. Then I will just take take my prof's exam at the end of the semester. I'm pretty psyched about this plan.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:37 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Drake014 wrote:I had such an awesome con law professor.... I feel sorry for everyone else. I actually looked forward to going to class most of the time. Con law can be painfully boring if you don't have a good professor.

I decided that I'm going to start attending a different section's conlaw class. Then I will just take take my prof's exam at the end of the semester. I'm pretty psyched about this plan.

If you're serious, please tell how this works out for you. I was considering doing the same, especially since the other section uses the same textbook. But whatever. At the end, I'll probably end up with the same grade regardless. :roll:

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:55 pm

First class done and I'm disappointed. A couple gunners were completely silent but one annoying ubergunner from last semester is gunning harder than ever. He raised his hand for literally every single question asked.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”