For Torts: E&E or Understanding?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Which did/would you buy, the E&E or Understanding Torts?

Torts E&E
74%
Understanding Torts
26%

Total votes: 31

zeth006

For Torts: E&E or Understanding?

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:16 pm

Hey all,

I got the E&E for Torts but was wondering whether I should've gotten Understanding Torts instead. Heard a bookstore employee upon being asked by a student telling him that his prof was recommending Understanding Torts for his class.

Any thoughts? Also, is there any difference between the 2010 and the 2007 editions of Understanding Torts?

traehekat

Re: For Torts: E&E or Understanding?

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Does your professor recommend it? If not, all I can say is that the E&E was the only supplement I really used throughout the semester and I did pretty well. I think it was one of the best supplements I used for any class.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:36 pm

Understanding by Diamond.

Loved it, very clear. Torts was a fairly straightforward class so I didnt use it much but I thought it was very well done. Hey, I'll sell you mine if you want :)

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:37 pm

I really liked the torts E&E, and I got an A+. But if your professor is endorsing the other book, then I dunno. Tough one.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:39 pm

You could always do what I did and use both. They are not mutually exclusive.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:51 pm

Is there a difference between the 2007 and 2010 editions for Understanding?

I'm probably going to opt for just using the E&E seeing how I don't see myself finding the time to go through both with the increased workload this semester.

Everyone seems to like the E&E though I'm guessing judging from the responses it complements Understanding.

Prof's not recommending any supplement. I just overheard the bookstore employee telling the 1L from another section that his prof was recommending Understanding. Beyond that, my prof's class so far seems pretty straightforward, though it's been only two days. The BLL is in the casebook and is stated clearly.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:26 am

What casebook are you using?

I used the 2007 version. I bought it before I knew there was a 2010 version, and I think it worked out fine. If this were Civil Procedure, I'd always buy the latest supplement. Here, save some cash.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 1:43 am

I thought the E&E was very well done. I have no torts grade yet though, I'll be sure to report in when I do though. Either way, I don't think you can go wrong with the E&E.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:16 am

A torts class tested in the classic way (massive issue spotters with heavy time pressure) is more about execution than doctrine. The black letter is mostly pretty easy to garner from the cases. I hardly used my supplement (E&E). Haven't received grades yet, but whether I did well or poorly, I will attribute it more to my use of PTs and my execution on the real exam than to my understanding of the blackletter. Take a ton of PTs as early as possible and carefully review any sample answers provided.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 am

Bronte wrote:A torts class tested in the classic way (massive issue spotters with heavy time pressure) is more about execution than doctrine. The black letter is mostly pretty easy to garner from the cases. I hardly used my supplement (E&E). Haven't received grades yet, but whether I did well or poorly, I will attribute it more to my use of PTs and my execution on the real exam than to my understanding of the blackletter. Take a ton of PTs as early as possible and carefully review any sample answers provided.

Yeah--I'm realizing execution was where I was weakest. I knew the BLL cold for Crim, but my application sucked ass, leading to a mediocre grade.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:39 pm

Thanks for the responses, guys.

I probably should've added a poll option for "both," but as it is, I highly doubt I'll have time to read through more than 1-2 supplements per class. The E&E on my first day of use has been gold as it almost restates what my prof said for today's class. I'm holding off on buying Understanding for now. Probably stop by and look at it at the bookstore when I have time.

cornellbeez

Postby cornellbeez » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:59 pm

Probs the understanding. It depends on what type of torts test you have though (m/c or no m/c).

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:12 pm

I actually liked Gilbert's better than either of those two because it's in more of an outline format as opposed to paragraphs (and it gives the rule for the minority jurisdictions if your professor tests that). If that's an option, go with it. If you're set on the E&E or Understanding, go with the E&E. It's much more helpful and covers everything you'll need to know.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:21 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:I actually liked Gilbert's better than either of those two because it's in more of an outline format as opposed to paragraphs (and it gives the rule for the minority jurisdictions if your professor tests that). If that's an option, go with it. If you're set on the E&E or Understanding, go with the E&E. It's much more helpful and covers everything you'll need to know.

I gotcha. I've been noting the minority JXDN rules as I read. Really helps having an old outline to keep track of them.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:15 am

E&E baby. Understanding is legit for Crim tho.

kxz

Postby kxz » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:15 am

E&E +1. This supplement was amazing.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”