To all the grinders first semester

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

For second semester, will you:

Step it up a notch
31%
Keep it about the same
25%
Take it easier
11%
I was not a grinder, nor will be
22%
I was not a grinder, but will be
11%

Total votes: 64

solotee

To all the grinders first semester

Postby solotee » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:52 pm

For those of you who daily put in 6+ hours of efficient work outside of class (including weekends), are you:

1) Stepping it up a notch
2) Keeping the same schedule
3) Taking it easier

Feel free to reference how your grades affected your decision.

Geist13

Re: To all the grinders first semester

Postby Geist13 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 pm

I'm not necessarily stepping it up, but I'll be changing things around.

I'm still getting to school at 7 every day, that worked well for me. But I'll be turning it down a bit for the first month. I worked a ton the first month of last semester and it wasn't worth it. I will turn it way up for the middle of the semester though. Last semester I got hammered in the last couple of weeks with very heavy reading loads in most of my classes (professors making up for uncovered material). This prevented me from studying as much as I would have liked. So I'm going to try to get way ahead in the readings. The last month will be less reading but way more outlining and taking practice exams. I've been told that I had a reputation in my section for being one of the heavy workers, but I don't think this produced above average exam performance (no grades yet, but I feel awful about them). I aim to bring my performance in line with my effort.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:28 pm

I really feel like not being able to take as many practice exams/hypos as I wanted to kept me from my ultimate goal, so am going to try to work a little bit harder to get all my reading/outlining done a week or so before I really started going into "exam mode" in fall. So therefore I guess i'll be stepping up a notch slightly. But since I won't be spending my first few weeks trying to figure out wtf a case is and how to weed out the rule, it should go a lot more smoothly

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:35 pm

Earning good grades fueled my fire. But, I'm not sure I could "step it up a notch" without sacrificing time/activities that I'm unwilling to (exercise routine, girlfriend time, etcetera).

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:13 am

I plan to work less and do more extracurriculars. I became significantly more efficient over the course of the semester, so doing more work in the same things I did last semester may not yield additional benefits.

Everyone could stand to do more practice exams. I also have two closed book exams this term (zero last time) so my extra time will probably go towards memorizing property and criminal.

One thing I did that helped me stay consistent a lot last semester was to keep a spreadsheet of my hours studied. It didn't include time in class and was broken down by subject in 6 minute intervals. I figure I have to keep time for most of my professional career, so why not start now? Just kidding, there are no jobs so all my effort is in vain.

kswiss

Postby kswiss » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:19 am

I'm doing the exact same thing because it worked.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:47 am

I am spending more time on TLS than I did last semester. Maybe I am too stressed to get much studying done because of pending summer intern apps?

Or maybe its just that classes just started and the workload has not yet caught up with me?

Plans?

Network, network, network. I spent too little time going to professor office hours and networking events. So now I shall try and network more and get to know my professors better. I doubt I will grind till after March.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”