is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

damn, for some reason all i want is general tso chicken right now.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?


Sexist pig.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm

dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Unitas wrote:
dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Unitas wrote:
dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


Sounds like the San Francisco firefighters, iirc.

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

dood wrote:well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


If I were you I wouldn't bother (primarily because you get no benefit out of it other than fighting the good fight).

If you care, then you may as well start with the dean. I think the prof is more likely to give you the run around.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm

bk1 wrote:
dood wrote:well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


If I were you I wouldn't bother (primarily because you get no benefit out of it other than fighting the good fight).

If you care, then you may as well start with the dean. I think the prof is more likely to give you the run around.


yeah, this is wat im thinking...just not enough incentive for me to make a stink about it.

User avatar
Unitas
Posts: 1387
Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:03 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 pm

dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:
dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


Oh, well don't rule out suing...

Real suggestion, make google e-mail address with fake information that is obviously for protection from a coffee shop internet access point, e-mail dean of student service about this issue and ask to remain anonymous, wait for reply. He'll reply saying professor didn't break any rules. Hit up girls that got good grades that belong to you. They owe you now. Win. Move on with life.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?


Sexist pig.


I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?


Sexist pig.


I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.


Yeah, mis-characterizing what happened makes your argument a lot more tenable.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:23 pm

This thread like, delivers.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?


Sexist pig.


I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.


Try again.

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?


Sexist pig.


I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.


Yeah, mis-characterizing what happened makes your argument a lot more tenable.


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Try again.


See above post.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

I'm looking at german. They are good at creating new words.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2783
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Image

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

I'm looking at german. They are good at creating new words.


What? Pretty sure I was kidding, honey. The only time I was serious was in my original post.

But thanks for informing me of my genuine intent because I had no clue otherwise.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.


Yeah, mis-characterizing what happened makes your argument a lot more tenable.


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious


I was assuming the comment was facetious and was meant to actually advance the argument that it is sexist to assume that women outperforming men is the result of sex discrimination. Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?

http://inception.davepedu.com/

User avatar
20121109
Posts: 2149
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.


Yeah, mis-characterizing what happened makes your argument a lot more tenable.


http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious


I was assuming the comment was facetious and was meant to actually advance the argument that it is sexist to assume that women outperforming men is the result of sex discrimination. Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?


Probably. I actually don't think that OP is unreasonable to think it could be a weird sort of favoritism. But sex discrimination...not sure.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

I'm looking at german. They are good at creating new words.


What? Pretty sure I was kidding, honey. The only time I was serious was in my original post.

But thanks for informing me of my genuine intent because I had no clue otherwise.


Yeah, I'm confused as to how someone could see a woman, and an intelligent one at that, talk about "most bitches not having brains" and not realize it was sarcasm...

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Drake014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:
dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


Eh, he got that case wrong anyway. Desicriminatory results are not good enough. Needs intent.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:
dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:
dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!


Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


Eh, he got that case wrong anyway. Desicriminatory results are not good enough. Needs intent.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Yeah, I'm confused as to how someone could see a woman, and an intelligent one at that, talk about "most bitches not having brains" and not realize it was sarcasm...


Calm down internet white-knight. Everybody recognized her post as sarcastic. However, that sarcasm seems predicated upon a clear misunderstanding of what's actually at issue.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?


Probably. I actually don't think that OP is unreasonable to think it could be a weird sort of favoritism. But sex discrimination...not sure.

A weird sort of favoritism that manifests itself in the men all being placed in the bottom half of the class and the women all being placed in the top half? I'm curious what kind of "weird sort of favoritism" could do that without somehow involving their gender. Very weird sort indeed. Sure it could be a coincidence that it broke down that way, but when 40% of the grade is subjective that raises an interesting question.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Yeah, I'm confused as to how someone could see a woman, and an intelligent one at that, talk about "most bitches not having brains" and not realize it was sarcasm...


Calm down internet white-knight. Everybody recognized her post as sarcastic. However, that sarcasm seems predicated upon a clear misunderstanding of what's actually at issue.

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote: Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?


Probably. I actually don't think that OP is unreasonable to think it could be a weird sort of favoritism. But sex discrimination...not sure.

A weird sort of favoritism that manifests itself in the men all being placed in the bottom half of the class and the women all being placed in the top half? I'm curious what kind of "weird sort of favoritism" could do that without somehow involving their gender. Very weird sort indeed.


I didn't think I got riled up. Also, there is a reason only Fox's statement was quoted...If I felt you didn't get the sarcasm I would have quoted you as well.

User avatar
Drake014
Posts: 886
Joined: Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:22 pm

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Postby Drake014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.


well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.


Eh, he got that case wrong anyway. Desicriminatory results are not good enough. Needs intent.


Did some douche really quote me to point out I added a letter to a word?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests