is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dood

Gold

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Post by dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

damn, for some reason all i want is general tso chicken right now.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:12 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?
Sexist pig.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:15 pm

dood wrote:i couldnt have phrased it better myself!!
Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:16 pm

Unitas wrote:
Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Obviously this should not be taken as legal advice. It certainly wouldn't be good legal advice if it was.
well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

Unitas wrote:

Sounds like the San Francisco firefighters, iirc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:17 pm

dood wrote:well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.
If I were you I wouldn't bother (primarily because you get no benefit out of it other than fighting the good fight).

If you care, then you may as well start with the dean. I think the prof is more likely to give you the run around.

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:19 pm

bk187 wrote:
dood wrote:well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.
If I were you I wouldn't bother (primarily because you get no benefit out of it other than fighting the good fight).

If you care, then you may as well start with the dean. I think the prof is more likely to give you the run around.
yeah, this is wat im thinking...just not enough incentive for me to make a stink about it.

Unitas

Silver

Post by Unitas » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:20 pm

dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:

well either way i wouldnt sue in a court of law. more wondering if i should bring this up to the prof and/or a dean.
Oh, well don't rule out suing...

Real suggestion, make google e-mail address with fake information that is obviously for protection from a coffee shop internet access point, e-mail dean of student service about this issue and ask to remain anonymous, wait for reply. He'll reply saying professor didn't break any rules. Hit up girls that got good grades that belong to you. They owe you now. Win. Move on with life.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:Maybe the women participated more or had more significant contributions than the men?
Sexist pig.
I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:22 pm

GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sexist pig.
I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.
Yeah, mis-characterizing what happened makes your argument a lot more tenable.

prezidentv8

Gold

Post by prezidentv8 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:23 pm

This thread like, delivers.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Sexist pig.
Try again.

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Sexist pig.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/facetious

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Try again.
See above post.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:25 pm

Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

I'm looking at german. They are good at creating new words.

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:28 pm

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

What? Pretty sure I was kidding, honey. The only time I was serious was in my original post.

But thanks for informing me of my genuine intent because I had no clue otherwise.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.
I was assuming the comment was facetious and was meant to actually advance the argument that it is sexist to assume that women outperforming men is the result of sex discrimination. Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?

http://inception.davepedu.com/

Gold

Post by 20121109 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
GAIAtheCHEERLEADER wrote: I think its pretty obvious that a woman can earn a higher grade than her male counterpart only when a male professor finds her sexually attractive. Most bitches ain't got brains to do it themselves.
I was assuming the comment was facetious and was meant to actually advance the argument that it is sexist to assume that women outperforming men is the result of sex discrimination. Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?
Probably. I actually don't think that OP is unreasonable to think it could be a weird sort of favoritism. But sex discrimination...not sure.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Is there a word for embarrassing one's self then pretending it wasn't genuine?

What? Pretty sure I was kidding, honey. The only time I was serious was in my original post.

But thanks for informing me of my genuine intent because I had no clue otherwise.
Yeah, I'm confused as to how someone could see a woman, and an intelligent one at that, talk about "most bitches not having brains" and not realize it was sarcasm...

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:33 pm

dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Eh, he got that case wrong anyway. Desicriminatory results are not good enough. Needs intent.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Drake014 wrote:
dood wrote:
Unitas wrote:

Eh, he got that case wrong anyway. Desicriminatory results are not good enough. Needs intent.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:37 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Yeah, I'm confused as to how someone could see a woman, and an intelligent one at that, talk about "most bitches not having brains" and not realize it was sarcasm...
Calm down internet white-knight. Everybody recognized her post as sarcastic. However, that sarcasm seems predicated upon a clear misunderstanding of what's actually at issue.
Bildungsroman wrote: Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?
Probably. I actually don't think that OP is unreasonable to think it could be a weird sort of favoritism. But sex discrimination...not sure.
A weird sort of favoritism that manifests itself in the men all being placed in the bottom half of the class and the women all being placed in the top half? I'm curious what kind of "weird sort of favoritism" could do that without somehow involving their gender. Very weird sort indeed. Sure it could be a coincidence that it broke down that way, but when 40% of the grade is subjective that raises an interesting question.

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:39 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
Calm down internet white-knight. Everybody recognized her post as sarcastic. However, that sarcasm seems predicated upon a clear misunderstanding of what's actually at issue.
Bildungsroman wrote: Are you saying there were two layers of sarcasm here?
A weird sort of favoritism that manifests itself in the men all being placed in the bottom half of the class and the women all being placed in the top half? I'm curious what kind of "weird sort of favoritism" could do that without somehow involving their gender. Very weird sort indeed.
I didn't think I got riled up. Also, there is a reason only Fox's statement was quoted...If I felt you didn't get the sarcasm I would have quoted you as well.

Drake014

Silver

Post by Drake014 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 8:40 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
Drake014 wrote:
dood wrote:
Unitas wrote: Does pattern and practice discrimination work for gender? I remember reading about African American firefighters or something that basically held that regardless of discriminatory intent of the grading if the ends are discriminatory it is discriminatory. Wish I could remember more for you or if I didn't just make most of this up in my head - either way good luck.

Did some douche really quote me to point out I added a letter to a word?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”