is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
salanc1

New

Re: is giving all males in class low grades sex discrimination?

Post by salanc1 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:19 pm

how do you know the grades of every person in the class?

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:10 am

Not sure if this is what you mean, but in terms of legal action I'm of the understanding that courts typically don't get involved in disputes like this arising out of a university/school. I could be way off or perhaps law school might be different, but then again that may not even be what you're asking about.

If you did well in the class and won't have another class like this with that particular professor.. I say why worry about it? There's plenty of moral justifications, sure, but if it doesn't impact your transcript/resume to the point of discomfort then I would just keep my head low and keep flying under the radar. Make a note and tell friends that may wind up taking the class in the future, or maybe if you want the best of both worlds then something like dropping an anonymous letter off to your Dean's office would accomplish what you want?

Note: I didn't read all of the replies - only the OP.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:20 am

Sad I got into this late, but d00d is a great poaster.

BaronDetroit

New

Post by BaronDetroit » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:52 am

The jurisprudence arising out of Civil Rights Litigation would tell you that there exists a male privilege, white privilege, middle class privilege, etc. Those who have the privilege often deny its existance. Maybe this particuliar professor believes in a female privilege?

worldtraveler

Platinum

Post by worldtraveler » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:07 am

BaronDetroit wrote:The jurisprudence arising out of Civil Rights Litigation would tell you that there exists a male privilege, white privilege, middle class privilege, etc. Those who have the privilege often deny its existance. Maybe this particuliar professor believes in a female privilege?
You really have to look at jurisprudence to figure that out?

OP it might be discrimination. It might be. Either way, it sounds like you would have a long, uphill battle proving it. It would also involve dragging all of the other students in the class into it, which they may or may not appreciate.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:43 am

Yeah, a couple others mentioned it earlier but the irony just struck me -- lawyers, oddly enough, are about the only "class" that isn't protected in the normal/legal sense haha.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”