Supplement for Crim law and Con law Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
RP1983

Bronze

Supplement for Crim law and Con law

Post by RP1983 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 5:55 pm

I know people suggest Dressler for Crim and Chemerinsky for Con law, but with regards to both, I am not sure which one to get. There seem to be a couple. There is a casebook, hornbook, etc. Could someone help me by providing the exact name. It was so much easier with E&E for torts haha.

zeth006

Silver

Re: Supplement for Crim law and Con law

Post by zeth006 » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:13 pm

RP1983 wrote:I know people suggest Dressler for Crim and Chemerinsky for Con law, but with regards to both, I am not sure which one to get. There seem to be a couple. There is a casebook, hornbook, etc. Could someone help me by providing the exact name. It was so much easier with E&E for torts haha.
Hate to ruin your day, but some profs at my school recommend Understanding Torts. I got the Torts E&E but am going to make a separate thread on E&E vs. Understanding to see what others are saying.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:22 pm

I used Dressler's black letter outline for a quick reference during outline formation. It helped. Can't comment on conlaw.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 pm

zeth006 wrote:
RP1983 wrote:I know people suggest Dressler for Crim and Chemerinsky for Con law, but with regards to both, I am not sure which one to get. There seem to be a couple. There is a casebook, hornbook, etc. Could someone help me by providing the exact name. It was so much easier with E&E for torts haha.
Hate to ruin your day, but some profs at my school recommend Understanding Torts. I got the Torts E&E but am going to make a separate thread on E&E vs. Understanding to see what others are saying.
Understanding Torts is credited.

I actually found the E&E for Torts to be pretty useful. The hypos were pretty good, and the coverage complemented my class.

Understanding Torts is fairly short. It's good for a concise overview; almost like a mini horbook. Where the E&E shines is in the hypos. If you have the time, I think you could reasonably use both.

sethc

Bronze

Post by sethc » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:17 am

My CrimLaw recommended the Dressler/Lexis supplement. I bought it and tried using it the early part of the class (1L first-term at the time) and found that it just confused and overwhelmed me more than I already was. So, I decided to just refer to it sparingly if I needed another way of explaining a given issue/case/point that would help me explain whatever it was in my own words.. or if it was something I specifically needed to know for the exam. I did buy the crimlaw Nutshell and found that it helped tremendously.. you might want to check into that - it's an easier read than Dressler's.

As far as individual stuff, I'd be glad to throw you some help. I understood that class exceptionally well and it was also my favorite that semester. I got a B on the final, but the curve is absolutely deathly at my school.. so make of that what you will and PM me anything you might want me to personally answer.

Having said that - don't stress about crim too early on. I love crimlaw and knew that's the area of law I wanted to practice before even taking that course. Early on I felt overwhelmed and so lost that it depressed me.. but right about midway through and beyond it all started to click and make sense.. turned out pretty easy to understand for me -- but of course that will vary individually.

chicagolaw2013

Silver

Post by chicagolaw2013 » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:44 am

My professors actually made Dressler and Chemerinsky required books for their courses. My Con Law prof teaches from the Chemerinsky casebook, so the supplement was logical, and apparently Dressler is money in Crim according to my Crim prof.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”