Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
romothesavior

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:32 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:Dumbest thread I've seen in a quite awhile, I think this whole "I'm so different than the world and just can't relate" idea dies pretty fast come 2L year when it is no longer tremendously exciting to be going to law school. Get over it, don't lose touch with the non-law world or you are beginning on a long road of despair.

This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Am I different? No. I still like to watch football, drink beers, hang out with my buds, hunt, cook, play XBox, etc. I act the same, although maybe a little bit more irritable and negative due to frustration with law school and employment concerns. I probably think about thinks a little bit differently than I used to, but not really that much.

But I would never be so bizarre/pretentious to say I've "changed" in ways that make me better or different than my non-law school peers.

Younger Abstention

Postby Younger Abstention » Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:08 am

Eh, i felt this way after 1L. During 2L, I regressed back to my old self. What you are referring to is the product of being in a constant state of stress and becoming a (temporary?) workaholic, as opposed to any sort of stereotypical indoctrination... trust me. It's a buzz, a temporary high.

stayway

Postby stayway » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:51 am

seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
nooyyllib wrote:Image

I see this happening sometime soon between beach and spot

Bro, I'm a fucking gazelle. Don't insult me with that depiction.

FYI, I would definitely be the smaller one. He's about to trainwreck the fuck out of the one in the air. Jumping in fights is TTT.

I'd jump all over your face motherfucker.

I mean...just look at your avatar...it has "I'd jump all over you" written all over it....

sethc

Postby sethc » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:This is pretty much exactly how I feel.

Am I different? No. I still like to watch football, drink beers, hang out with my buds, hunt, cook, play XBox, etc. I act the same, although maybe a little bit more irritable and negative due to frustration with law school and employment concerns. I probably think about thinks a little bit differently than I used to, but not really that much.

But I would never be so bizarre/pretentious to say I've "changed" in ways that make me better or different than my non-law school peers.

Well, I suppose that's due to how we each personally define the words "different" and "change", it seems. I'm really puzzled by that last part, though. I'm not so sure what was pretentious about my post.. bizarre I guess, but I think there's a better word.. I kinda thought this sort of thing was appropriate for TLS.

Younger Abstention wrote:Eh, i felt this way after 1L. During 2L, I regressed back to my old self. What you are referring to is the product of being in a constant state of stress and becoming a (temporary?) workaholic, as opposed to any sort of stereotypical indoctrination... trust me. It's a buzz, a temporary high.

Thanks man, that actually answered a question that wasn't in my OP, I think. I was curious if I'd become "tolerant" to the feeling or if this was just an anomaly. In a way, I'm glad that it goes away by 2L.. do you feel like that your grades are better? Or at least the grasping/understanding of concepts in class? Sorry that sounds so therapist-y lol

td6624 wrote:self-importance seems to be a pretty common characteristic of law students. i think this thread might partially be a result of that.

or maybe not. amateur psychology wooooo

Actually, I think you're right (about self-importance lol) because that's been the case for me, no question. I've never really had that kind of problem or overall self-esteem issues before law school at ALL. The only exception was that, for some reason, I did with academics. I hovered right around a B to A- average my whole life in terms of academic grades and got only 1 C in college. So, that allowed me to pretty much do what I wanted all the time - in other words, I was content. But, when it came crunch time doing papers & finals, I never had any confidence about them turning out to meet my life-average despite the fact that they would do just that or exceed it every single time. Interesting way you put it though - thanks.

A'nold wrote:To the naysayers: If law school hasn't changed the way you at least think when talking to lay people, you're obviously not grasping the concepts..... :?

I am the same guy to everyone that I've always been: kind, caring, empathetic, etc. However, I can't even express how much law school has changed the way I think about even miniscule things. Btw, I am a 2L.

Great, great, GREAT perspective. Thanks, man. The first part honestly needs no explanation. I can agree to a point on the second part. Like I didn't "change" in the sense that I've loved the Red Sox & Playstation my whole life and all of a sudden I hate them or have no interest. It was definitely more abstract and what you said about minuscule things sums it up pretty good for me. Pass, fail, lawyer or no lawyer --- 1st term has been worth the ticket price for me.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”