Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
seespotrun

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby seespotrun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I've lost the ability to empathize.

forza

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:
sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:I always thought like a lawyer. Even before I went to law school I ran with a bad crowd (lawyers, judges, law students - basically any two-timing player with an "in" to the system). I was a pretty messed up kid really and now, I guess, its come to this. As we speak, I'm staring at my casebook, a bottle of diet coke on the desk. I woke up with a pounding headache feeling like shit this morning -eyestrain- and promised myself that last night was the last time I'd go on an a 24 hour bender. I used to try to be a good person you know, that whole deal. Now I'm not even sure whether right and wrong exist, much less what they are. My mama would've balled her eyes out if she had seen the way that I impleaded a couple of little girls just to score some cheap points on a Torts exam. I don't even give a fuck at this point - the client is the only thing that matters. Law is one hell of a drug.

Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.

Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.

Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.

sethc

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Excuse me for showing some empathy whether or not he was telling the truth or not. Fuck, man.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm

sethc wrote:Excuse me for showing some empathy whether or not he was telling the truth or not. Fuck, man.

:lol:

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

[/quote]

Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.[/quote]

Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.[/quote]

Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.[/quote]

Image[/quote]

What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kabuo

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Was it jdubbs who thought he wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone from his past life anymore? Only he thought it made him very superior?

sethc

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Veyron wrote:What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.

Ah well that's what I was asking the first time around. I completely agree with you in the demands/duties of an attorney and it's part of the reason I enjoy the idea of being a lawyer so much. Anyway, I'm not sure about everyone else, but here recently I have taken mental/personal issues + law school very, very seriously.. and I wasn't trying to just feel sorry for you or anything, but simply offer help. I just know the burden that certain personal issues can take while in law school are ones that others most likely have not had to deal with. My bad man.

Rand M.

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 pm

missinglink wrote:
dood wrote:im more of an elitist.

+1

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

dood wrote:im more of an elitist.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:22 pm

forza wrote:
Veyron wrote:
sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.

Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.

Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.

Wait......I thought dude talking about counseling was just messing around......am I going to get a face palm now? :?

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 pm

sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.

Ah well that's what I was asking the first time around. I completely agree with you in the demands/duties of an attorney and it's part of the reason I enjoy the idea of being a lawyer so much. Anyway, I'm not sure about everyone else, but here recently I have taken mental/personal issues + law school very, very seriously.. and I wasn't trying to just feel sorry for you or anything, but simply offer help. I just know the burden that certain personal issues can take while in law school are ones that others most likely have not had to deal with. My bad man.

Nothing to feel sorry about, your mistake was an honest one. Law school is a step towards the realization of a lifelong dream for me. I'm sorry that my bit of satire misled you to such a great extent as to my true feelings. I guess now I know how Jonathan Swift felt.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 am

I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 am

Bronte wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.

This gives me an idea for a new thread called "Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after being exposed to TLS?"

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Bronte wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.

This gives me an idea for a new thread called "Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after being exposed to TLS?"

Made me post/talk less b/c people are douches that try to prop themselves up by crapping on nice people not making sure every single possible flaw in their statement is air tight b/c they are on a freaking message board. :wink:

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:42 am

Today I was driving through a brand-new downtown apartment community. Looking around, I thought, "this is a great example of planned unit development!"

Adjudicator

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:59 am

I haven't gone to law school yet but I imagine it's something like this

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood

flcath

Postby flcath » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:12 am

I'm not as funny as I was. When asked for my opinion on anything, my answer is almost always some variation of 'maybe,' augmented by arguments from each side. I use the words "analysis," "brilliant," and "prestigious," in contexts that annoy those around me. My writing style is choppy and economical.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I haven't gone to law school yet but I imagine it's something like this

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood

TITCR

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm

seespotrun wrote:I've lost the ability to empathize.

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)

plum

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 pm

i've definitely changed in that i have never been this stressed out and under pressure in my life. and it ain't gonna end anytime soon.

td6624

Postby td6624 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

uh, no

a lot of you sound kind of obnoxious

or maybe i failed all my classes and that's why i'm not getting what i'm reading here.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)

*pounds chest while sniffing upper lip*

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I lol'd (but mostly because of your similarity to an ape)

stayway

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:

I lol'd (but mostly because of your similarity to an ape)

I see this happening sometime soon between beach and spot

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you guys all going to that Philly Law Student party thing?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”