Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby seespotrun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:35 pm

I've lost the ability to empathize.

User avatar
forza
Posts: 2779
Joined: Tue Aug 04, 2009 10:32 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby forza » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:36 pm

sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:
sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:I always thought like a lawyer. Even before I went to law school I ran with a bad crowd (lawyers, judges, law students - basically any two-timing player with an "in" to the system). I was a pretty messed up kid really and now, I guess, its come to this. As we speak, I'm staring at my casebook, a bottle of diet coke on the desk. I woke up with a pounding headache feeling like shit this morning -eyestrain- and promised myself that last night was the last time I'd go on an a 24 hour bender. I used to try to be a good person you know, that whole deal. Now I'm not even sure whether right and wrong exist, much less what they are. My mama would've balled her eyes out if she had seen the way that I impleaded a couple of little girls just to score some cheap points on a Torts exam. I don't even give a fuck at this point - the client is the only thing that matters. Law is one hell of a drug.



Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.


Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.



Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.


Image

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:43 pm

Excuse me for showing some empathy whether or not he was telling the truth or not. Fuck, man.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby seespotrun » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:45 pm

sethc wrote:Excuse me for showing some empathy whether or not he was telling the truth or not. Fuck, man.

:lol:

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:46 pm

[/quote]


Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.[/quote]

Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.[/quote]


Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.[/quote]

Image[/quote]

What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.
Last edited by Veyron on Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kabuo
Posts: 1114
Joined: Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:53 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Kabuo » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:02 pm

Was it jdubbs who thought he wouldn't be able to communicate with anyone from his past life anymore? Only he thought it made him very superior?

sethc
Posts: 208
Joined: Fri Sep 10, 2010 1:55 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby sethc » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:06 pm

Veyron wrote:What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.



Ah well that's what I was asking the first time around. I completely agree with you in the demands/duties of an attorney and it's part of the reason I enjoy the idea of being a lawyer so much. Anyway, I'm not sure about everyone else, but here recently I have taken mental/personal issues + law school very, very seriously.. and I wasn't trying to just feel sorry for you or anything, but simply offer help. I just know the burden that certain personal issues can take while in law school are ones that others most likely have not had to deal with. My bad man.

User avatar
Rand M.
Posts: 1033
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:24 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Rand M. » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:07 pm

missinglink wrote:
dood wrote:im more of an elitist.

+1

User avatar
JazzOne
Posts: 2938
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:04 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby JazzOne » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:17 pm

dood wrote:im more of an elitist.

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby A'nold » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:22 pm

forza wrote:
Veyron wrote:
sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:
Are you being serious or did a pop-culture reference just whoosh over my head? I feel like it's the latter, but I feel compelled to ask.


Pop-culture? No. I'm being half serious - truth makes the best fiction.



Well, at any rate - if any or all of that is true then talking about it/venting can be a big, big, BIG help. I don't mean to come off sounding like a shrink or a doctor, but that seriously helps. I'm speaking from experience and I'm also one that HATED the thought of doing this and was very skeptical of any kind of "therapy" in general. It honestly sounds like you and I have a lot in common, whether or not that's immediately apparent. Feel free to message me if you feel comfortable & want to.. talking about some of that stuff probably wouldn't be a bad thing for either of us.


Image


Wait......I thought dude talking about counseling was just messing around......am I going to get a face palm now? :?

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Veyron » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:43 pm

sethc wrote:
Veyron wrote:What, has the Giffords thing made everyone uber sensitive about mental health? It was a piece of satire bro. The truthful parts are about the workload and hanging around with attorneys before law school and such. I have no moral qualms or reservations about what the legal profession demands from attorneys. Vigorously defending one's clients to the full extent of the law is our sacred duty as lawyers, democracy could not exist if we didn't believe in that; I'd happily defend a rogue farmer in court by impleading some girls if a good argument for their comparative negligence could be made. For that matter, I'd readily defend Phillip Morris or an (alleged) axe murderer.



Ah well that's what I was asking the first time around. I completely agree with you in the demands/duties of an attorney and it's part of the reason I enjoy the idea of being a lawyer so much. Anyway, I'm not sure about everyone else, but here recently I have taken mental/personal issues + law school very, very seriously.. and I wasn't trying to just feel sorry for you or anything, but simply offer help. I just know the burden that certain personal issues can take while in law school are ones that others most likely have not had to deal with. My bad man.


Nothing to feel sorry about, your mistake was an honest one. Law school is a step towards the realization of a lifelong dream for me. I'm sorry that my bit of satire misled you to such a great extent as to my true feelings. I guess now I know how Jonathan Swift felt.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Bronte » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:24 am

I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 am

Bronte wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.


This gives me an idea for a new thread called "Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after being exposed to TLS?"

User avatar
A'nold
Posts: 3622
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:07 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:38 am

Adjudicator wrote:
Bronte wrote:I'm dumbfounded by the earnestness of OP. Would I have understood it before law school? I don't even know anymore.


This gives me an idea for a new thread called "Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after being exposed to TLS?"


Made me post/talk less b/c people are douches that try to prop themselves up by crapping on nice people not making sure every single possible flaw in their statement is air tight b/c they are on a freaking message board. :wink:

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:42 am

Today I was driving through a brand-new downtown apartment community. Looking around, I thought, "this is a great example of planned unit development!"


.............

User avatar
Adjudicator
Posts: 1108
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:18 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby Adjudicator » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:59 am

I haven't gone to law school yet but I imagine it's something like this

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby flcath » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:12 am

I'm not as funny as I was. When asked for my opinion on anything, my answer is almost always some variation of 'maybe,' augmented by arguments from each side. I use the words "analysis," "brilliant," and "prestigious," in contexts that annoy those around me. My writing style is choppy and economical.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby smokyroom26 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Adjudicator wrote:I haven't gone to law school yet but I imagine it's something like this

the car's on fire and there's no driver at the wheel
and the sewers are all muddied with a thousand lonely suicides
and a dark wind blows

the government is corrupt
and we're on so many drugs
with the radio on and the curtains drawn

we're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine
and the machine is bleeding to death

the sun has fallen down
and the billboards are all leering
and the flags are all dead at the top of their poles

it went like this:

the buildings tumbled in on themselves
mothers clutching babies picked through the rubble
and pulled out their hair

the skyline was beautiful on fire
all twisted metal stretching upwards
everything washed in a thin orange haze

i said: "kiss me, you're beautiful -
these are truly the last days"

you grabbed my hand and we fell into it
like a daydream or a fever

we woke up one morning and fell a little further down -
for sure it's the valley of death

i open up my wallet
and it's full of blood


TITCR

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm

seespotrun wrote:I've lost the ability to empathize.

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)

plum
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby plum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:22 pm

i've definitely changed in that i have never been this stressed out and under pressure in my life. and it ain't gonna end anytime soon.

td6624
Posts: 551
Joined: Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:45 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby td6624 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

uh, no

a lot of you sound kind of obnoxious

or maybe i failed all my classes and that's why i'm not getting what i'm reading here.

User avatar
seespotrun
Posts: 2395
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 9:36 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby seespotrun » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:I've lost the ability to empathize.

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)


*pounds chest while sniffing upper lip*

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7248
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:04 pm

seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:I've lost the ability to empathize.

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)


*pounds chest while sniffing upper lip*

I lol'd (but mostly because of your similarity to an ape)

stayway
Posts: 1275
Joined: Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:38 am

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby stayway » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:00 pm

beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
seespotrun wrote:I've lost the ability to empathize.

Exhibited by you telling me not to worry about 1L grades, because all they do is determine my family's happiness (right before I went to take my crim midterm)


*pounds chest while sniffing upper lip*

I lol'd (but mostly because of your similarity to an ape)

Image

I see this happening sometime soon between beach and spot

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Did/does anyone else feel like they "changed" after 1L?

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:32 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Are you guys all going to that Philly Law Student party thing?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Fed_Atty and 5 guests