Mental Health Law

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
northwood

Mental Health Law

Postby northwood » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:12 pm

Does anyone know of any reputable sites, schools or places to go for more informaiton about mental health law/ family and disabilities law? I am very interested in the legal side of mental health issues ( laws, policies, educational information), and not so mucha s doing research to figure out why people do what they do ( although that coulod help an attorney). I do not want to be a psychologist, but I would like to work with educational institutions, help fight for legislation and advocate for people with mental illness, disabilities to ensure that they have the resources and faciliities available for them, and have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to their community.

Thank you for your time and help. I greatly appreciate all responses.

oxbb

Re: Mental Health Law

Postby oxbb » Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:57 pm

northwood wrote:Does anyone know of any reputable sites, schools or places to go for more informaiton about mental health law/ family and disabilities law? I am very interested in the legal side of mental health issues ( laws, policies, educational information), and not so mucha s doing research to figure out why people do what they do ( although that coulod help an attorney). I do not want to be a psychologist, but I would like to work with educational institutions, help fight for legislation and advocate for people with mental illness, disabilities to ensure that they have the resources and faciliities available for them, and have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to their community.

would love to follow up with this post. if anyone knows the career aspects of the intersection between law and mental health...

andythefir

Postby andythefir » Mon Dec 22, 2014 11:15 pm

I work in a small town DA's office, and I do involuntary civil commitments for the county. Either the police or the person's family will take them to the counseling place in town to get evaluated. After they do the evaluation, I petition the court for the commitment. If they're a danger to themselves or others, as decided by the treating psychiatrist, they go to a hospital for 30 days for intensive treatment. The hearings are me asking questions of the psychiatrist with the person having their own counsel. Although we're technically fighting each other, we all just want what's best for the person, which is a nice break from the adversarial rest of my job.

I've learned a lot about different mental illnesses, especially schizophrenia. I'd say the average case I get has some mental illness and the person uses drugs/booze to hide it, which then spins out its own problems. The whole mental health system in town works together to try to get more funding from the legislature.

How it works in my state (New Mexico) is members of the local bars have to represent the person about to be committed on a revolving system. Almost everyone just pays one guy who actually enjoys it, and he does virtually all of the hearings. I have no idea how much of his practice is mental health, I'd guess around half.

Chevron Deference

Postby Chevron Deference » Tue Dec 23, 2014 1:31 am

I am taking disability law. Is there anyway I can get ahold of some practice exams with model answers?

lacrossebrother
Top 17 consensus poster

Postby lacrossebrother » Tue Dec 23, 2014 2:34 am

northwood wrote:Does anyone know of any reputable sites, schools or places to go for more informaiton about mental health law/ family and disabilities law? I am very interested in the legal side of mental health issues ( laws, policies, educational information), and not so mucha s doing research to figure out why people do what they do ( although that coulod help an attorney). I do not want to be a psychologist, but I would like to work with educational institutions, help fight for legislation and advocate for people with mental illness, disabilities to ensure that they have the resources and faciliities available for them, and have the opportunity to make a positive contribution to their community.

Have you checked west law?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”