bar courses that test theory/policy versus black letter

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kimins

bar courses that test theory/policy versus black letter

Postby kimins » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:26 am

I know the bar tests black letter law and I don't always take bar courses (but if I do, I make sure it's a prof that focuses on black latter law). People suggested I should take Con Law 2 but the prof focuses on theories and policy, not black letter law....so I dunno if it's worth my time and units or if I should just opt for something else.......ideas from ppl that have taken the bar?

nealric

Re: bar courses that test theory/policy versus black letter

Postby nealric » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:53 am

Conlaw 2 is hardly tested on most states bars. I think there was a grand total of one question on the MBE last July.

Take the classes you like. Barbri will take care of the BLL.

Jordan77

Postby Jordan77 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:29 pm

I agree with nealric that you shouldn't judge a class on whether they teach BLL or policy because you will get all the BLL you need at bar bri or whatever bar course you take. However, I will say that depending on which state you take, they can occur on the essays and MBE. There will generally be a con law 1 or 2 essay on any given bar exam.

I took the July Bar this year and we had an essay on freedom of speech, public forums, and some other con law 2 issues like religion or something.

edit: I will say that I took Con Law II because I knew it was on the bar, and I actually did enjoy it as a class... it is the "interesting" con law class after all. I would recommend taking it.

kimins

Postby kimins » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:34 pm

Jordan77 wrote:I agree with nealric that you shouldn't judge a class on whether they teach BLL or policy because you will get all the BLL you need at bar bri or whatever bar course you take. However, I will say that depending on which state you take, they can occur on the essays and MBE. There will generally be a con law 1 or 2 essay on any given bar exam.

I took the July Bar this year and we had an essay on freedom of speech, public forums, and some other con law 2 issues like religion or something.

edit: I will say that I took Con Law II because I knew it was on the bar, and I actually did enjoy it as a class... it is the "interesting" con law class after all. I would recommend taking it.

was your con law class bll? im hearing that most aren't.....im in CA, so I guess ill go do some digging to see if we have many con law 2 questions on the bar.....

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”