Keeping Supplements to Study for Bar Exam

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Amy wineBerry

Keeping Supplements to Study for Bar Exam

Postby Amy wineBerry » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:34 am

I had a discussion today with a few law school colleagues. Some people said they were keeping their supplements to use them to study for the bar exam. Are the E&Es and commercial outlines that helpful when studying for the bar exam to encourage one to keep them? My thoughts were that they may help get through a class, but not necessarily the bar exam. Thoughts? I'm particularly interested in hearing from anyone who has taken the bar exam.

Miniver

Re: Keeping Supplements to Study for Bar Exam

Postby Miniver » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:05 pm

Amy wineBerry wrote:Some people said they were keeping their supplements to use them to study for the bar exam.

These people are being ridiculous, and they will realize this once they start studying for the bar. On the bright side, at least you now know that some people in your jurisdiction will be engaging in stupid study tactics, thereby increasing your chances of success. You would do well to not discourage this behavior.

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:54 pm

Miniver wrote:
Amy wineBerry wrote:Some people said they were keeping their supplements to use them to study for the bar exam.

These people are being ridiculous, and they will realize this once they start studying for the bar. On the bright side, at least you now know that some people in your jurisdiction will be engaging in stupid study tactics, thereby increasing your chances of success. You would do well to not discourage this behavior.

Current-stated intention to study stupidly=/=actual stupid studying on the bar exam.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

mikeytwoshoes wrote:
Miniver wrote:

Current-stated intention to study stupidly=/=actual stupid studying on the bar exam.

Also, I don't think "other people's failures = your success" is true when it comes to the bar. Isn't it theoretically for every person who takes the bar to pass it?

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Obviously. It should be clear that I intended to convey that the less you discourage that intent, the greater the likelihood of it coming to pass. Nit-pick away.

Also, I don't think "other people's failures = your success" is true when it comes to the bar. Isn't it theoretically for every person who takes the bar to pass it?

Scores aren't curved, but they are scaled. If many, many people do poorly, the scores will be scaled to compensate for the (interpreted) difficulty of the exam in relation to prior exams, which will result in you getting a better scaled score than you otherwise would have gotten had the vast majority of people done well on the exam; and it's the scaled score that matters. Of course, everyone could theoretically pass the exam, but it will be harder to do the better everyone does.

Amy wineBerry

Postby Amy wineBerry » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:00 pm

Thanks for all the insightful (and hilarious) thoughts lol. :lol:

Smh at my classmates. Grades haven't even come out yet, and they're already on "studying for the bar exam." Don't even know if these supplements helped get through the class...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”