Who else is dreading Legal Writing II?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
themasterpiece1

Who else is dreading Legal Writing II?

Postby themasterpiece1 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:57 am

The second semester of the hellish writing class is upon us. I was very disappointed with my grade this semester (B-) so hopefully I can improve upon that.

I have a story about that B- actually, but in the end I won't be able to tell this story in interviews. So my professor for the first Legal Writing class was VERY unorganized, the due dates for the memo kept jumping around and it was a mess. So we have an ungraded rough draft due and I accidentally hand it in late (I thought it was due on the 5th and it was due on the 6th). So I get an email from the professor saying I have failed and been dropped from the class. So I got this email in the middle of my Civ Pro class and start freaking out. I email the professor and she explains it is because I handed the rough draft late, she sends me to the Dean. So I explain to the Dean that I got confused with the date and show her how many times the due date had been changed, etc. Dean says tough luck, if the professor wants to fail you she can. So I go plead to the professor to not fail me (I would have lost my scholarship if she did) and she finally gave in. However, she said she was going to lower my final grade. Hoping I never have to go through that stress again.

Anyways, this semester I am freaking out about the oral arguments we have to do for the Legal Writing II. Most professors probably do them differently but ours is making it 20% of our grade. Last time I publicly spoke was in High School, so I already feel the panic attacks coming.

Baylan

Re: Who else is dreading Legal Writing II?

Postby Baylan » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:37 am

themasterpiece1 wrote:The second semester of the hellish writing class is upon us. I was very disappointed with my grade this semester (B-) so hopefully I can improve upon that.

I have a story about that B- actually, but in the end I won't be able to tell this story in interviews. So my professor for the first Legal Writing class was VERY unorganized, the due dates for the memo kept jumping around and it was a mess. So we have an ungraded rough draft due and I accidentally hand it in late (I thought it was due on the 5th and it was due on the 6th). So I get an email from the professor saying I have failed and been dropped from the class. So I got this email in the middle of my Civ Pro class and start freaking out. I email the professor and she explains it is because I handed the rough draft late, she sends me to the Dean. So I explain to the Dean that I got confused with the date and show her how many times the due date had been changed, etc. Dean says tough luck, if the professor wants to fail you she can. So I go plead to the professor to not fail me (I would have lost my scholarship if she did) and she finally gave in. However, she said she was going to lower my final grade. Hoping I never have to go through that stress again.

Anyways, this semester I am freaking out about the oral arguments we have to do for the Legal Writing II. Most professors probably do them differently but ours is making it 20% of our grade. Last time I publicly spoke was in High School, so I already feel the panic attacks coming.

1. Tough luck. Deadlines change all the time in every profession. Dealing with them is part of life. And how did you turn it in late if you thought it was due BEFORE its actual due date?

2. Start working on public speaking. You are going to be a lawyer. You will be asked to communicate and speak to people on a regular basis. If you can't do this, you're going to have issues interviewing and working.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”