Anonymous grading a scam? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
twert

Bronze

Re: Anonymous grading a scam?

Post by twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:58 pm

lawfuture10 wrote:I don't think this problem actually exists, it would be waaaay too risky to attempt to do something like this.

For example, I'm sure that the school would tell you they do not take part in such a practice if you went and asked the dean or whomever. And I feel it would not be that difficult to poll your classmates, or hell even just your trackmates to see who is on scholarship and who is not. I feel like if you told people why you were polling, and there was enough of a stink about this problem, people would be forthcoming with whether or not they were on scholarship. I just feel like it would be verrrrry easy for a school to get into a lot of hot water for a situation like this and lose a lot of incoming students and the standing they had been working to acheive.

That being said, OP, you're probably just in a similar situation (possibly even at the same school I am) that my school is in. Said school is a top 100, on the up and up and gives a RIDICULOUS amount of scholarships each year to new students. However, at this school, the minimum requirement to keep these scholarships is 3.0, and the school curves its grades to a 2.8. So obviously, there is going to be a lot of scholarship fall out. This is the nature of the game, and I believe is highly unlikely to be some conspiracy against students keeping their $cholarship$.

PM me if you wish to know the school
sounds like we go to the same school

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:34 pm

General take away lesson for these type of grants: assume that any scholarship requiring at least above median will not be around your second and third years.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Is the law school in question Chapman ?

twert

Bronze

Post by twert » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:38 pm

Helmholtz wrote:General take away lesson for these type of grants: assume that any scholarship requiring at least above median will not be around your second and third years.
i think this is overly pessimistic. OP just needs to adjust a few things, get slightly better grades and keep his money. Its not as random as people say it is.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:39 pm

Helmholtz wrote:General take away lesson for these type of grants: assume that any scholarship requiring at least above median anything above good standing will not be around your second and third years.
FTFY

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Helmholtz

Gold

Post by Helmholtz » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:13 pm

OGR3 wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:General take away lesson for these type of grants: assume that any scholarship requiring at least above median anything above good standing will not be around your second and third years.
FTFY
Pretty much, yeah. I think in order for me to lose my scholarship, I would have to commit a first degree felony during one of the finals and have a GPA below 1.0. The stress of 1L is bad enough, I can't imagine the prospect of losing even more tens of thousands of dollars if I didn't manage to crack the top third, e.g.

OGR3

Silver

Post by OGR3 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:29 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
OGR3 wrote:
FTFY
Pretty much, yeah. I think in order for me to lose my scholarship, I would have to commit a first degree felony during one of the finals and have a GPA below 1.0. The stress of 1L is bad enough, I can't imagine the prospect of losing even more tens of thousands of dollars if I didn't manage to crack the top third, e.g.
My scholarship stipulation is top 50%, but I only went to Pitt because I was comfortable paying sticker my second and third years.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”