CrimPro Investigation Supplements

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A'nold

CrimPro Investigation Supplements

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 pm

I have not really found any supplements specifically titled "Investigation" (except for the concise hornbook series, which I have not liked in the past). Anyone know if the general crim pro E&E covers investigation thoroughly? Thanks.

Anonymous Loser

Re: CrimPro Investigation Supplements

Postby Anonymous Loser » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:18 pm

You want the Crim Pro E & E titled "The Constitution and the Police." It's an excellent Crim Pro investigation supplement, makes 4th Amendment law seem almost logical.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:19 pm

Anonymous Loser wrote:You want the Crim Pro E & E titled "The Constitution and the Police." It's an excellent Crim Pro investigation supplement, makes 4th Amendment law seem almost logical.

Perfect! Thanks a lot. :)

steindle

Postby steindle » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:57 pm

In my experience, any Crim Pro supplement is going to be 75-90% investigation. Adjudication is generally not covered in nearly the same depth.

And for my money, Dressler's "Understanding Criminal Procedure" was a lifesaver in Investigation. Hardly cracked the casebook and did decently with Dressler.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:32 pm

Man, this is a tough decision. I used Dressler in Crim Law and the E & E's everywhere else.........anyone else have an opinion on which is better?

stonepeep

Postby stonepeep » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm

I used Dressler's Understanding Crim Pro and found it very helpful. It's hard for me to imagine a Crim Pro supplement that is any clearer or easier to follow than his. However, I did not use the other book mentioned in this thread so can't offer a comparison of the two.

My only suggestion is to get the most recent edition possible of whichever book you choose, because Crim Pro changes so much every single year. I couldn't find a copy of the 2010 Dressler so I had to get the 2005, and while for the most part the information presented was still correct, there were definitely times when I wished I had a book that covered the most recent cases.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:22 pm

stonepeep wrote:I used Dressler's Understanding Crim Pro and found it very helpful. It's hard for me to imagine a Crim Pro supplement that is any clearer or easier to follow than his. However, I did not use the other book mentioned in this thread so can't offer a comparison of the two.

My only suggestion is to get the most recent edition possible of whichever book you choose, because Crim Pro changes so much every single year. I couldn't find a copy of the 2010 Dressler so I had to get the 2005, and while for the most part the information presented was still correct, there were definitely times when I wished I had a book that covered the most recent cases.

Thanks, I'll probably be going with Dressler as two people have now raved about it and he is so well known and celebrated in crim law. I guess my school has a reserve copy of the E&E so I can consult that as well when I'm there.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”