Black Suits --> No-no?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: Black Suits --> No-no?

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:05 pm

NZA wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Just picked up a charcoal suit from Jos. A. Bank, it's a pretty dark charcoal. Got it on sale for 350, original price was 1300$. FYI: They're having a 70% off sale this Thursday.

+1 I swooped on an overcoat and a sport jacket.

I think the sale is over, now, though. :(

This Thursday is 70% off everything in the store (beside things that aren't made by them). I might pick up the suit I just got in navy and some dress shirts/ties as well.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:51 pm

Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:
Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:Brooks Bros slim fit are great for skinny or normally proportioned young guys. Most "regular fit" shirts (BB, Nordstrom, etc.) are designed for middle-aged dudes with big pot bellies. However, beware of the BB extra slim fit. You have to be an extremely skinny guy to be comfortable in these. The main problem is that they're just too tight in the armholes.

All dress shirts should be tailored. If you follow this simple rule, the slim v. regular fit doesn't really matter.

When you say tailored, you mean purchased off the rack and then given to a tailor for alterations? Or you mean bespoke shirts should be purchased?

No, off the rack, and taken to a tailor. Get the sleeves and neck right, a tailor should charge you like $10 to take the sides in, s that it will fit you perfectly. No bunching or bagging, it'll stay tucked in better, and you'll look sharp

Yeah I should've had this done when I had my suits done. Good call.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:55 pm

Borhas wrote:I'm wearing my charcoal suit w/ subtle stripes to interviews

sometimes, you just gotta be a baller

Same here. 8)

danquayle

Postby danquayle » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:08 pm

hopefullaw27 wrote:Was wondering if wearing a black suit to an interview is a faux pas. have heard various things. i own black and wondering if it's worth it/necessary to get charcoal or navy blue for interviews...

I wore black on pretty much all my interviews and never had any problems. In fact, I got complements a couple times on my style. I do think there something of a generation gap, however, as all the compliments were from young people.

Black is pretty conservative, and its hard to mess it up too badly. Just don't wear a black tie.

pasteurizedmilk

Postby pasteurizedmilk » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:49 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I have to really agree to the merits of spending the extra to purchase some Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. Not only do they have a nice clean press to them, they do not bulge at the waste and leave your appearance sloppy. IMO, they are well worth the cost. Just watch for the sales, you cant get pretty decent deals on them.

These are the best shirts ever made. I get them at the outlet for around $70 a pop and they easily pay for themselves by never having to get them laundered and starched. Just throw them in the wash, hang them to dry, and then just barely touch them with an iron and they look incredible.

You can get them cheaper than this from the regular store, just watch sales. For instance, through today you can get 3 for $159, sometimes they toss in free shipping as well.

Plus, you can get the 15% corporate discount through Lexis Nexis for brooks brothers.

How?

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:47 am

pasteurizedmilk wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Plus, you can get the 15% corporate discount through Lexis Nexis for brooks brothers.

How?

Just FYI, the 15% discount is a good deal if you need it now, but if you have time, the best plan is to get on the BB email list, which you can do easily at their website. Brooks Brothers stuff is pricey at MSRP, but they have deep discounts if you're patient. However, they just went through a huge round of sales, so if you need it now, you might as well do this.

Edit: sorry, btw, I don't know how to do the Lexis thing, so I'd like to know as well.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:19 am

Bronte wrote:
pasteurizedmilk wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:Plus, you can get the 15% corporate discount through Lexis Nexis for brooks brothers.

How?

Just FYI, the 15% discount is a good deal if you need it now, but if you have time, the best plan is to get on the BB email list, which you can do easily at their website. Brooks Brothers stuff is pricey at MSRP, but they have deep discounts if you're patient. However, they just went through a huge round of sales, so if you need it now, you might as well do this.

Edit: sorry, btw, I don't know how to do the Lexis thing, so I'd like to know as well.

They sent an email out last March with the directions for obtaining the corporate discount card. Unfortunately, I don't still have the email. Perhaps searching the rewards site or just asking the reps?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:49 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just picked up a charcoal suit from Jos. A. Bank, it's a pretty dark charcoal. Got it on sale for 350, original price was 1300$. FYI: They're having a 70% off sale this Thursday.

I think I'll go and get some standard suits from there just so I can have different suits to wear to work over the course of a week

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:24 pm

NZA wrote:

Did you size up on the overcoat? E.g., if you're a 40R suit jacket did you get a 42R overcoat, or are they made with extra room?

NZA

Postby NZA » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Bronte wrote:
NZA wrote:

Did you size up on the overcoat? E.g., if you're a 40R suit jacket did you get a 42R overcoat, or are they made with extra room?

I'm usually somewhere between a 38R and a 40R, so I ordered a 40R overcoat and it fits pretty well.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:58 pm

NZA wrote:
Bronte wrote:Did you size up on the overcoat? E.g., if you're a 40R suit jacket did you get a 42R overcoat, or are they made with extra room?

I'm usually somewhere between a 38R and a 40R, so I ordered a 40R overcoat and it fits pretty well.

Thanks. I'm looking at this one: http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Pr ... 050_102145. Looks like I'd have to pull the trigger today because the sale's ending. Which one did you get?

My ideal coat would be this one: http://www.brooksbrothers.com/IWCatProd ... tionsize=#. But I've already spent too much money on suiting to justify it. I don't know that I even really need an overcoat, especially considering that OCI is in the summer.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:14 pm

Do the rules change for abnormally tall people? Last time I bought a suit, I believe the jacket length was 52-extra long. I wear size 18 shoes so finding dress shoes is kind of a hassle for me. I have a black suit and a kind tan suit with a pattern on it. Should I invest in gray and navy suits when I can?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:36 pm

Flips88 wrote:Do the rules change for abnormally tall people? Last time I bought a suit, I believe the jacket length was 52-extra long. I wear size 18 shoes so finding dress shoes is kind of a hassle for me. I have a black suit and a kind tan suit with a pattern on it. Should I invest in gray and navy suits when I can?

Holy shit dude, I thought my 44 extra long was abnormally tall.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:39 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Do the rules change for abnormally tall people? Last time I bought a suit, I believe the jacket length was 52-extra long. I wear size 18 shoes so finding dress shoes is kind of a hassle for me. I have a black suit and a kind tan suit with a pattern on it. Should I invest in gray and navy suits when I can?

Holy shit dude, I thought my 44 extra long was abnormally tall.

I'm 6'8". Finding decent fitting clothing is always an adventure.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”