Black Suits --> No-no?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DocHawkeye

Re: Black Suits --> No-no?

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
DocHawkeye wrote:If I had just one suit, it would be charcoal gray in a good lightweight (i.e.: tropical) wool and well tailored. Black is not appropriate before six o'clock in the evening unless you are attending a funeral. Blue is not appropriate after six o'clock in the evening, ever. Light-colored suits such as beige are acceptable only in the summer for daytime wear. These rules are somewhat dated, for surem as they are securely rooted in 19th century fashion. Many people will not notice if you follow them or not but if you do, you will never feel out-of-place and those who do notice will appreciate your efforts.

Please inform Michael Bloomberg, Barack Obama, and Warren Buffett among others re: this blue rule.

Barack Obama also wore a white tie with a dinner jacket to his inaugural ball, also a HUGE fashion faux pas.

I'm also pretty sure that Warren Buffet hasn't bought a new suit since about 1968. Michael Bloomburg is just too damned rich for fashion rules. Duh... :D

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:09 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I have to really agree to the merits of spending the extra to purchase some Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. Not only do they have a nice clean press to them, they do not bulge at the waste and leave your appearance sloppy. IMO, they are well worth the cost. Just watch for the sales, you cant get pretty decent deals on them.

These are the best shirts ever made. I get them at the outlet for around $70 a pop and they easily pay for themselves by never having to get them laundered and starched. Just throw them in the wash, hang them to dry, and then just barely touch them with an iron and they look incredible.

I think im about to start buying my dress shirts from brooks brothers, but I have a question about the different fits. As opposed to most shirts you would buy in a department store, it seems that their regular fit, is in fact what most places would call slim since it is already tailored to a degree. I want to buy online (there is no store around me), and I normally buy a slim at the department store, so should I just go with the regular fit for brooks brothers or get their version of the slim fit? Maybe buy one of each and just return the one that does not fit as well? Thanks.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:14 pm

moandersen wrote:I think im about to start buying my dress shirts from brooks brothers, but I have a question about the different fits. As opposed to most shirts you would buy in a department store, it seems that their regular fit, is in fact what most places would call slim since it is already tailored to a degree. I want to buy online (there is no store around me), and I normally buy a slim at the department store, so should I just go with the regular fit for brooks brothers or get their version of the slim fit? Maybe buy one of each and just return the one that does not fit as well? Thanks.

I'd go with the buy one of each and return the one that doesn't fit well. $7 to return isn't too bad.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:07 pm

moandersen wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I have to really agree to the merits of spending the extra to purchase some Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. Not only do they have a nice clean press to them, they do not bulge at the waste and leave your appearance sloppy. IMO, they are well worth the cost. Just watch for the sales, you cant get pretty decent deals on them.

These are the best shirts ever made. I get them at the outlet for around $70 a pop and they easily pay for themselves by never having to get them laundered and starched. Just throw them in the wash, hang them to dry, and then just barely touch them with an iron and they look incredible.

I think im about to start buying my dress shirts from brooks brothers, but I have a question about the different fits. As opposed to most shirts you would buy in a department store, it seems that their regular fit, is in fact what most places would call slim since it is already tailored to a degree. I want to buy online (there is no store around me), and I normally buy a slim at the department store, so should I just go with the regular fit for brooks brothers or get their version of the slim fit? Maybe buy one of each and just return the one that does not fit as well? Thanks.

I'm stockier and I find that their regular fit is a bit loose. I would try slim or extra slim.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:37 pm

moandersen wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:

If you normally buy slim fit, absolutely do not buy traditional fit brooks brothers. Their slim fit is the best cut to go with, it avoids any bulging at the waste. If you are a slim guy, slim fit is the way to go. In fact, I have friends who are heavier set who wear the slims, so you may even choose to dabble in ultra slim fit. A really skinny guy would probably need ultra slim. In your case, normally buying a slim you should not even consider wasting your money on traditional fit, you just won't be happy with the way it fits your body.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:25 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
moandersen wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:

If you normally buy slim fit, absolutely do not buy traditional fit brooks brothers. Their slim fit is the best cut to go with, it avoids any bulging at the waste. If you are a slim guy, slim fit is the way to go. In fact, I have friends who are heavier set who wear the slims, so you may even choose to dabble in ultra slim fit. A really skinny guy would probably need ultra slim. In your case, normally buying a slim you should not even consider wasting your money on traditional fit, you just won't be happy with the way it fits your body.

crap, should have been more patient and waited for more than one response before buying. oh well. I bought the exact same shirt in regular and slim fit, and it sounds like I will be returning the regular fit. thanks for the responses.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:31 pm

You may be okay if you don't require a nice tailored look to your shirt, that said, Brooks Brothers is also tremendous about returns and exchanges, so at least this way you get a good feel for what fit you like the best.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Wed Jan 05, 2011 5:43 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:You may be okay if you don't require a nice tailored look to your shirt

I do.... :|

Oh, and sorry to derail the thread, lets get it back on topic....

I have three suits: black, charcoal, and pinstripe (subtle). The black and charcoal are two button, while the pinstripe is three. Honestly I dont see much wrong in wearing black to an interview, but from what it sounds like in this thread, ill be on the safe side and sport the charcoal for the interviews.

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:19 pm

I only wear black suits. I have a job, and no one has given me any hassle over it. Then again, I don't live in the 1920's. Those of you who seem to be caught in an inter-dimensional time-rift may have to adjust your choices accordingly.

twert

Postby twert » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:00 pm

Miniver wrote:I only wear black suits. I have a job, and no one has given me any hassle over it. Then again, I don't live in the 1920's. Those of you who seem to be caught in an inter-dimensional time-rift may have to adjust your choices accordingly.

they might not hassle you, but they snicker when you leave the room.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:11 pm

twert wrote:
Miniver wrote:I only wear black suits. I have a job, and no one has given me any hassle over it. Then again, I don't live in the 1920's. Those of you who seem to be caught in an inter-dimensional time-rift may have to adjust your choices accordingly.

they might not hassle you, but they snicker when you leave the room.

lol.

Miniver

Postby Miniver » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm

Oh, they already have more than enough reasons to snicker about me other than my black suits. No worries.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:18 pm

bk1 wrote:
solidsnake wrote:Wear charcoal. Knowing how to dress appropriately for the occasion (a corporate job interview and not waiting tables at an upscale steakhouse) is a big part of social intelligence, which is in itself a large part of what these interviews are trying to assess.

I feel like the black being too formal thing is starting to fade. Then again, it could be that my eyes have a tough time distinguishing navy from black, let alone a darker charcoal from black.

yeah goes for me too, this whole time I thought I had a black suit, turned out it was charcoal... all looks the same to me unless they are side by side

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:22 pm

The one caveat is that if you played line in college, defensive or offensive, you must get a 4-button double-breasted suit with a bold pinstripe in a maroon/burgundy/dark purple color. You may stilll have this in your cupboard from the draft, and I would advise wearing it.

Seriously I would go charcoal-navy-black in that order when buying suits. Also, I have been looking to buy dress shirts myself and I'm not a super slim guy but EVERY regular fit shirt poofs at the waist and the fabric bunches. It looks slovenly and I have a few slim fit shirts that I definitely prefer.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 2:24 pm

Borhas wrote:yeah goes for me too, this whole time I thought I had a black suit, turned out it was charcoal... all looks the same to me unless they are side by side

Yeah, the only way I could tell when I bought a charcoal suit that it wasn't black was because I compared it to a black suit.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:02 pm

--ImageRemoved--

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:12 pm

joeshmo39 wrote:The one caveat is that if you played line in college, defensive or offensive, you must get a 4-button double-breasted suit with a bold pinstripe in a maroon/burgundy/dark purple color. You may stilll have this in your cupboard from the draft, and I would advise wearing it.

Seriously I would go charcoal-navy-black in that order when buying suits. Also, I have been looking to buy dress shirts myself and I'm not a super slim guy but EVERY regular fit shirt poofs at the waist and the fabric bunches. It looks slovenly and I have a few slim fit shirts that I definitely prefer.

Have you tried on Brooks Brothers slim fit? Even my heavier set friends wear the slims and they love them, I would give them a try to see if they do the trick.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:46 pm

I'm wearing my charcoal suit w/ subtle stripes to interviews

sometimes, you just gotta be a baller

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:56 pm

Just picked up a charcoal suit from Jos. A. Bank, it's a pretty dark charcoal. Got it on sale for 350, original price was 1300$. FYI: They're having a 70% off sale this Thursday.

mpj_3050

Postby mpj_3050 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:07 pm

Outside of formal events, I have heard people say that black suits are for the dead or servants. Pretty amusing, but black probably isn't a great choice.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

Brooks Bros slim fit are great for skinny or normally proportioned young guys. Most "regular fit" shirts (BB, Nordstrom, etc.) are designed for middle-aged dudes with big pot bellies. However, beware of the BB extra slim fit. You have to be an extremely skinny guy to be comfortable in these. The main problem is that they're just too tight in the armholes.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:58 pm

Bronte wrote:Brooks Bros slim fit are great for skinny or normally proportioned young guys. Most "regular fit" shirts (BB, Nordstrom, etc.) are designed for middle-aged dudes with big pot bellies. However, beware of the BB extra slim fit. You have to be an extremely skinny guy to be comfortable in these. The main problem is that they're just too tight in the armholes.

All dress shirts should be tailored. If you follow this simple rule, the slim v. regular fit doesn't really matter.

NZA

Postby NZA » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:01 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just picked up a charcoal suit from Jos. A. Bank, it's a pretty dark charcoal. Got it on sale for 350, original price was 1300$. FYI: They're having a 70% off sale this Thursday.

+1 I swooped on an overcoat and a sport jacket.

I think the sale is over, now, though. :(

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:01 pm

Renzo wrote:
Bronte wrote:Brooks Bros slim fit are great for skinny or normally proportioned young guys. Most "regular fit" shirts (BB, Nordstrom, etc.) are designed for middle-aged dudes with big pot bellies. However, beware of the BB extra slim fit. You have to be an extremely skinny guy to be comfortable in these. The main problem is that they're just too tight in the armholes.

All dress shirts should be tailored. If you follow this simple rule, the slim v. regular fit doesn't really matter.

When you say tailored, you mean purchased off the rack and then given to a tailor for alterations? Or you mean bespoke shirts should be purchased?

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

Bronte wrote:
Renzo wrote:

When you say tailored, you mean purchased off the rack and then given to a tailor for alterations? Or you mean bespoke shirts should be purchased?

No, off the rack, and taken to a tailor. Get the sleeves and neck right, a tailor should charge you like $10 to take the sides in, s that it will fit you perfectly. No bunching or bagging, it'll stay tucked in better, and you'll look sharp

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”