Black Suits --> No-no?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bilbobaggins

Re: Black Suits --> No-no?

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:37 pm

No one cares if your suit fits well and is not a bizarre color. Black is not a bizarre color.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:39 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
RW65 wrote:There is nothing wrong with pinstripes in general, however when you're buying your first real suit for a legal career and you're going to be using it for interviews with law firms, your best bet is to go with plain navy. There is no reasonable argument that can be made that pinstriped suits are better than plain, however, many will say that plain is better than pinstriped. Therefore, you are better off going with a plain navy suit as your first real suit. Once you have a few suits you can buy a navy suit with a very light pinstripe.

FWIW, I ended up with my 1st navy pinstripe suit (light, subtle pinstripe) because my suit store had a significant discount on Hickey Freeman's outgoing season.

I also ended up with a lightly pinstriped Navy suit for similar reasons. However for OCI I went with a rotation of Charcoal and Navy.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:40 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:No one cares if your suit fits well and is not a bizarre color. Black is not a bizarre color.

Absolutely. OP, invest in a good tailor, it is well worth it.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:41 pm

The black thing is slowly going away. But many people still accept it as a rule. So don't wear it to interviews.

If you are going to have one suit it should be Navy or Charcoal. Nobody cares if you wear charcoal to a funeral.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:48 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
RW65 wrote:There is nothing wrong with pinstripes in general, however when you're buying your first real suit for a legal career and you're going to be using it for interviews with law firms, your best bet is to go with plain navy. There is no reasonable argument that can be made that pinstriped suits are better than plain, however, many will say that plain is better than pinstriped. Therefore, you are better off going with a plain navy suit as your first real suit. Once you have a few suits you can buy a navy suit with a very light pinstripe.

FWIW, I ended up with my 1st navy pinstripe suit (light, subtle pinstripe) because my suit store had a significant discount on Hickey Freeman's outgoing season.

I don't mean that a navy pinstripe suit is terrible, but I think that for your first suit if you have a choice, solid navy is the way to go.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:03 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I have to really agree to the merits of spending the extra to purchase some Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. Not only do they have a nice clean press to them, they do not bulge at the waste and leave your appearance sloppy. IMO, they are well worth the cost. Just watch for the sales, you cant get pretty decent deals on them.

These are the best shirts ever made. I get them at the outlet for around $70 a pop and they easily pay for themselves by never having to get them laundered and starched. Just throw them in the wash, hang them to dry, and then just barely touch them with an iron and they look incredible.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:08 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:
Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:I have to really agree to the merits of spending the extra to purchase some Brooks Brothers non-iron slim fit dress shirts. Not only do they have a nice clean press to them, they do not bulge at the waste and leave your appearance sloppy. IMO, they are well worth the cost. Just watch for the sales, you cant get pretty decent deals on them.

These are the best shirts ever made. I get them at the outlet for around $70 a pop and they easily pay for themselves by never having to get them laundered and starched. Just throw them in the wash, hang them to dry, and then just barely touch them with an iron and they look incredible.

They are good, but I prefer Nordstrom's shirts. They generally don't fit quite so well off the rack, but they have a sharper, more detailed look to them.

Montevillian

Postby Montevillian » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:11 pm

Seersucker or don't even bother. :wink:

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:18 pm

What's the deal with so many three-button suits these days? Am I the only one that thinks these looks ridiculous unless the guy wearing them is over 6'5"??

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:48 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:What's the deal with so many three-button suits these days? Am I the only one that thinks these looks ridiculous unless the guy wearing them is over 6'5"??

Where do you see a lot of 3 button suits?

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Tue Jan 04, 2011 8:59 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:

You can get them cheaper than this from the regular store, just watch sales. For instance, through today you can get 3 for $159, sometimes they toss in free shipping as well.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:14 pm

bk1 wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:What's the deal with so many three-button suits these days? Am I the only one that thinks these looks ridiculous unless the guy wearing them is over 6'5"??

Though I do have a three button.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:29 pm

Dr. Van Nostrand wrote:
SeymourShowz wrote:

You can get them cheaper than this from the regular store, just watch sales. For instance, through today you can get 3 for $159, sometimes they toss in free shipping as well.

Plus, you can get the 15% corporate discount through Lexis Nexis for brooks brothers.

twert

Postby twert » Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:32 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bk1 wrote:

Though I do have a three button.

seems like all i've seen in stores lately is black three button suits, but that's the price of waiting until after christmas.

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:49 am

no one will really notice a black suit. thats a good thing

i need to find my dark navy with light wide pinstripe suit. perfect mix of class with subtlety

savagedm

Postby savagedm » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:37 am

Also, never forget that color does have a very real affect on people's perceptions. Going with a darker blue and colors that are more soothing does play a significant psychological factor if your personality matches it. If you don't believe me then I challenge you to have red curtains in the room you normally relax frequently in during the semester... you'll notice after a few weeks you feel significantly more edgy than usual.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:39 am

Don't wear black. Charcoal or navy. And definitely do not wear pinstripes to an interview.

Also, nothing wrong with a 3-button, but I'd stick with 2 for an interview.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:42 am

romothesavior wrote:Also, nothing wrong with a 3-button, but I'd stick with 2 for an interview.

I don't think that a 3 button is faux pas, but I do think that since most guys will generally look better in a 2 button, they should go with a 2 unless they actually do look better in a 3.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:46 am

bk1 wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Also, nothing wrong with a 3-button, but I'd stick with 2 for an interview.

I don't think that a 3 button is faux pas, but I do think that since most guys will generally look better in a 2 button, they should go with a 2 unless they actually do look better in a 3.

Variety is the spice of life. I own a 2B charcoal suit for interviews, but once I start working someplace, I have a lighter 2B gray suit and a 3B navy suit that I will throw into the mix.

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:51 am

romothesavior wrote:Variety is the spice of life. I own a 2B charcoal suit for interviews, but once I start working someplace, I have a lighter 2B gray suit and a 3B navy suit that I will throw into the mix.

If it fits you well then I'm jealous, I haven't tried on a 3 button yet that I've liked though I haven't tried that many. I do want a lighter gray suit pretty badly, but I haven't been able to justify buying another suit since my current job is pretty casual.

Like clothing in general, my point was to go with what is flattering to one's body type.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:23 am

This same topic came up in a thread a while back (maybe sometime last summer or spring). In any case, the consensus at the time seemed to be that black suits are a 'no-no'- that they are more for a funeral-type of situation. However, I imagine that there are variations of black (from pitch black to a really dark charcoal), so that might help determine whether your particular suit could be considered socially acceptable or not.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:30 am

vamedic03 wrote:When you start doing back to back days of interviews/callbacks, especially during the hot months, you need to have your suits on a rotation.

I anticipate striking out, so I think I'm good with my 1 suit.

Dr. Van Nostrand

Postby Dr. Van Nostrand » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

rad law wrote:
vamedic03 wrote:When you start doing back to back days of interviews/callbacks, especially during the hot months, you need to have your suits on a rotation.

I anticipate striking out, so I think I'm good with my 1 suit.

Until it is August, and hot, and your 1L suit has to be worn for four consecutive days...get my drift?

DocHawkeye

Postby DocHawkeye » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

If I had just one suit, it would be charcoal gray in a good lightweight (i.e.: tropical) wool and well tailored. Black is not appropriate before six o'clock in the evening unless you are attending a funeral. Blue is not appropriate after six o'clock in the evening, ever. Light-colored suits such as beige are acceptable only in the summer for daytime wear. These rules are somewhat dated, for surem as they are securely rooted in 19th century fashion. Many people will not notice if you follow them or not but if you do, you will never feel out-of-place and those who do notice will appreciate your efforts.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:20 pm

DocHawkeye wrote:If I had just one suit, it would be charcoal gray in a good lightweight (i.e.: tropical) wool and well tailored. Black is not appropriate before six o'clock in the evening unless you are attending a funeral. Blue is not appropriate after six o'clock in the evening, ever. Light-colored suits such as beige are acceptable only in the summer for daytime wear. These rules are somewhat dated, for surem as they are securely rooted in 19th century fashion. Many people will not notice if you follow them or not but if you do, you will never feel out-of-place and those who do notice will appreciate your efforts.

Please inform Michael Bloomberg, Barack Obama, and Warren Buffett among others re: this blue rule.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”