Share your study tips!

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
redgreenpaper

Share your study tips!

Postby redgreenpaper » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:55 pm

Just simply tell of your routine in undergrad or law school. Your daily studying, studying before a test, studying for exams, etc. Do you have any studying secrets that would give you the optimal mark with the least amount of studying time? Share!

For me I just review what i learned in class everyday. When tests come I review everything that the test includes and maybe do a couple of practice questions. Then on test day I would do some last minute review an hour or two before the test. How about you?

BriaTharen

Re: Share your study tips!

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:56 pm

Your previous posts and your suggestion we share study tips for undergrad or law school suggests to me you are still in undergrad.

The Forum for Law School Students does not give two shits about how to study in undergrad. Law school is whole different ball game.

Postby 1234543523 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:58 pm

BriaTharen wrote:Your previous posts and your suggestion we share study tips for undergrad or law school suggests to me you are still in undergrad.

The Forum for Law School Students does not give two shits about how to study in undergrad. Law school is whole different ball game.

The Forum for Law Students is also on topic and, consequently, not the place for your queen-bitch-mean-girls bullshit.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:04 pm

f7 wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:Your previous posts and your suggestion we share study tips for undergrad or law school suggests to me you are still in undergrad.

The Forum for Law Students is also on topic and, consequently, not the place for your queen-bitch-mean-girls bullshit.

Gunning hard for that mod position? :wink:

Postby 1234543523 » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:26 pm

betasteve wrote:

If I didn't know, I'd say ChardPennington was your alt.

More like TardPennington, AMIRITE?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:27 pm

betasteve wrote:

If I didn't know, I'd say ChardPennington was your alt.

Mehaps on my grumpy days

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 12:21 am

Prior to November:

Read cases, brief cases (book briefed everything but Civ Pro where I typed out a brief), work on outline. I did very little studying/memorization during this period. Mainly focused on reading/understanding cases and keeping my outline up to date. In October I started taking some multiple choice questions and working on a few practice essay questions in casual setting (ie. no time requirements, used outline, etc).

Starting in November, I started memorizing my outlines (knew most of the rules of law, but not all the factors/exceptions/etc). I also started aggressively taking multiple choice practice problems (helped me to figure out what certain rules actually meant) and started taking practice essay questions under exam conditions (timed, no interruptions, no outline, etc). Kept working at my outlines as well.

During the study period (between classes and exams) I worked on finalizing my outlines and ensuring I had my outlines memorized. I compared my outlines to commerical outlines or other outlines of former students of the professor and tried to see if I had anything to add. Also did some multiple choice practice problems.

Right before each exam I focused solely on the class. Ensured I had the information down. Also did one practice essay and around 50 multiple choice questions for the class I had an exam for next. The day before the exam I did some brush up memorization/multiple choice till around 2 pm. After 2 pm, I basically took the day off, got some sleep, watched tv, etc. Day of the exam I did some light studying and enjoyed some R&R as well. After the exam, I took the rest of the day off and began the study grind the next day.

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Fri Dec 31, 2010 2:27 pm

alright calm down you angry old bag. you're the first person ive encountered on this forum who actually gets frustrated because of a small portion of my post had nothing to do with the forum section. grow up, you're not some higher authority on your almighty high-horse.

random5483 wrote:Prior to November:

Read cases, brief cases (book briefed everything but Civ Pro where I typed out a brief), work on outline. I did very little studying/memorization during this period. Mainly focused on reading/understanding cases and keeping my outline up to date. In October I started taking some multiple choice questions and working on a few practice essay questions in casual setting (ie. no time requirements, used outline, etc).

Starting in November, I started memorizing my outlines (knew most of the rules of law, but not all the factors/exceptions/etc). I also started aggressively taking multiple choice practice problems (helped me to figure out what certain rules actually meant) and started taking practice essay questions under exam conditions (timed, no interruptions, no outline, etc). Kept working at my outlines as well.

During the study period (between classes and exams) I worked on finalizing my outlines and ensuring I had my outlines memorized. I compared my outlines to commerical outlines or other outlines of former students of the professor and tried to see if I had anything to add. Also did some multiple choice practice problems.

Right before each exam I focused solely on the class. Ensured I had the information down. Also did one practice essay and around 50 multiple choice questions for the class I had an exam for next. The day before the exam I did some brush up memorization/multiple choice till around 2 pm. After 2 pm, I basically took the day off, got some sleep, watched tv, etc. Day of the exam I did some light studying and enjoyed some R&R as well. After the exam, I took the rest of the day off and began the study grind the next day.

and what's your success with this method?

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:11 am

redgreenpaper wrote:

alright calm down you angry old bag. you're the first person ive encountered on this forum who actually gets frustrated because of a small portion of my post had nothing to do with the forum section. grow up, you're not some higher authority on your almighty high-horse.

Hm, never been called an "angry old bag" before...

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:09 am

BriaTharen wrote: Hm, never been called an "angry old bag" before...

Maybe not to your face. /legally blonde quote

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:01 pm

thecilent wrote:

exactly

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:14 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:
thecilent wrote:

exactly

Oh, no, I'm not actually agreeing with you. I like her more than you. Was just a good time for that quote

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:18 pm

thecilent wrote:
redgreenpaper wrote:
thecilent wrote:

exactly

Oh, no, I'm not actually agreeing with you. I like her more than you. Was just a good time for that quote

well i guess i agree with your quote and not with you. i like the quote more than you. was just a good time to say exactly.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 5:21 pm

Okay I like you now after that post. But your OP is weird so I understand her hostility

redgreenpaper

Postby redgreenpaper » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:04 pm

im just wondering what other people's study techniques are and she is just getting angry because i said that undergrads can post their study tips if they want and she goes off like the TLS police saying how undergrad advice has nothing to do with this forum. but does that really matter? i also said that law school students can share their study habits so my post has some business in this forum. she could just ignore that tiny small part of my post but instead has to show off how much she knows about the forums rules and regulations. in fact, she could not even respond and increase the chances of my thread dying, but she decides to open her mouth.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:41 pm

Relax.

Check here for study tips for 1L: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=123092

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 pm

thecilent wrote:
redgreenpaper wrote:
thecilent wrote:

exactly

<3

random5483

Postby random5483 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 5:23 pm

redgreenpaper wrote:

No idea. I will let you know when I get my grades.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:31 pm

Grades came in. 4.0 with 2 A+s.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Very impressive. What school (or tier)?

ntugwater

Postby ntugwater » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:03 am

First month and a half or so- attended every class, took and typed notes, read and briefed cases for 3/4 of my classes. If it was a light week, I reviewed topics in an E&E.

After that, I ceased briefing for all classes and generally ceased reading for 3/4 of my classes. E&Es and supplements collected dust while my recycling bin (GO GREEN!) collected beer cans. Gradually stopped going to class. By the last few weeks, I'd probably attend half of the classes each week.

Last weekend of classes- downloaded past tests for all of my professors, performed cursory glance and mentally did 3/4 of the tests just to see where I was

Reading week- traveled to visit a friend, drank a lot, got some sleep

Finals week- During the day before each test, generally, I downloaded and reviewed an outline or two for each class. I put tabs/bookmarks on stuff that seemed like it might be important or stuff that I didnt fully grasp. I also outlined a practice test for each class and skimmed through model answers/memos for 3-4 other practice tests.

Grades- not in yet. I think I did above median. I think two finals went really well, one I have no idea (I know I did good but I'm not sure if I did really good), and one went OK. I don't regret anything yet. I enjoyed myself all semester and while I could have put in much more effort, I think a lot of it would have been wasted. While I may have put in less work than what I should have, many of my classmates realized that they put in a lot more effort than they should have.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”