publishing as a law student Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
A'nold

Gold

Re: publishing as a law student

Post by A'nold » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:35 am

G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Danteshek wrote: Honesty is the best policy. If you are getting the professor's help in the context of writing a Note for your journal, it is understood that the professor is working in an advisory capacity only. If the professor does a very good job advising you, and that professor does not have tenure, I would suggest sending an email to the appropriate faculty member so that your thoughts can be included in that professors tenure review file.
Well said--particularly the part about leaving positive feedback for the prof's tenure file. As students and clerkship applicants, we tend to ask, ask, ask, so it is nice to be able to give a little now and then when the opportunity arises.
How would I go about doing this?

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:55 am

A'nold wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Danteshek wrote: Honesty is the best policy. If you are getting the professor's help in the context of writing a Note for your journal, it is understood that the professor is working in an advisory capacity only. If the professor does a very good job advising you, and that professor does not have tenure, I would suggest sending an email to the appropriate faculty member so that your thoughts can be included in that professors tenure review file.
Well said--particularly the part about leaving positive feedback for the prof's tenure file. As students and clerkship applicants, we tend to ask, ask, ask, so it is nice to be able to give a little now and then when the opportunity arises.
Think about what makes you tick, and write about that. I'm already planning my next article. And I'm also doing a Daily Journal piece on the article I just completed.

As far as leaving positive feedback, you can ask any professor who the appropriate faculty member is (probably the head of the tenure committee).

A'nold

Gold

Post by A'nold » Sat Feb 26, 2011 1:59 am

A'nold wrote:
G. T. L. Rev. wrote:
Danteshek wrote:
Think about what makes you tick, and write about that. I'm already planning my next article. And I'm also doing a Daily Journal piece on the article I just completed.

As far as leaving positive feedback, you can ask any professor who the appropriate faculty member is (probably the head of the tenure committee).
Oh yeah, I think I must have asked something I didn't mean to. I already have a topic going strong right now. Thanks for the advice and how to talk up the professor to the tenure committee (person?).

adude

New

Post by adude » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:54 am

Excellent posts. I'd imagine most of the writing took place 2L year? Did anyone get started on the publication process as a 1L? Probably a bad idea considering how much 1L grades matter and how much time it would take to write and get published.

Danteshek

Gold

Post by Danteshek » Sun Feb 27, 2011 3:59 am

adude wrote:Excellent posts. I'd imagine most of the writing took place 2L year? Did anyone get started on the publication process as a 1L? Probably a bad idea considering how much 1L grades matter and how much time it would take to write and get published.
Maybe if you are at Yale you can start publishing as a 1L. If you go to a normal school, I would suggest picking your first topic in the Summer months after 1L. If you join a Journal, be sure to inform yourself of the policy w/r/t outside submission. Even if the policy is adverse to your goals, do not just lay over. You can always risk the wrath of the Law Review editorial board if you think taking that risk is worth it. Usually they will not be able to pull your credits without the faculty advisor's consent.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”