Quick Bluebook Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Geist13

Quick Bluebook Question

Postby Geist13 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:15 pm

So all semester my writing teacher tells us that the first word of a case name should never be abbreviated. I got marked off for this a couple of times on my closed memo. Today, as I'm editing my closed memo to use as a writing sample for applications I read this on pg. 94 (R. 10.2.2) of the bluebook: "Always abbreviate any word listed in table T6, even if the word is the first word in a party's name"

So, despite my teachers repeated insistence to the contrary, the first word in a case citation should be abbreviated if it's a T6 word. Is this correct? I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Cogburn87

Re: Quick Bluebook Question

Postby Cogburn87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:30 pm

Last edited by Cogburn87 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:33 pm

Cogburn87 wrote:Bring it to your professor's attention if possible. If not, do what your professor thinks is correct. I had a few instances of this on my memos as well. Some professors don't keep up with the changes either because they are too lazy or too obstinate. It's shitty, but so are most legal writing professors.

Not worried about teacher. Worried about pesky clerks who may decide to read the writing sample before handing it over to the judge. Sending the closed memo in with judicial internship applications.

Cogburn87

Postby Cogburn87 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:37 pm

Last edited by Cogburn87 on Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:07 am

I don't recall any rule about the first word of a case, therefore it would be:
Int'l Shoe Co. v. Wash., 326 U.S. 310 (1945).

However, if you are writing the case name as part of a sentence, then you don't abbreviate according to T6 at all:
International Shoe is a seminal case in civil procedure classes.

ggocat

Postby ggocat » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:06 pm

Geist13 wrote:So all semester my writing teacher tells us that the first word of a case name should never be abbreviated. I got marked off for this a couple of times on my closed memo. Today, as I'm editing my closed memo to use as a writing sample for applications I read this on pg. 94 (R. 10.2.2) of the bluebook: "Always abbreviate any word listed in table T6, even if the word is the first word in a party's name"

So, despite my teachers repeated insistence to the contrary, the first word in a case citation should be abbreviated if it's a T6 word. Is this correct? I want to make sure I'm not missing something.

Your writing prof is wrong.

And yes, a law clerk would likely notice the error, but it probably wouldn't preclude you from getting an interview.

jag2L

Postby jag2L » Wed Dec 29, 2010 3:14 pm

LjakW wrote:I don't recall any rule about the first word of a case, therefore it would be:
Int'l Shoe Co. v. Wash., 326 U.S. 310 (1945).

However, if you are writing the case name as part of a sentence, then you don't abbreviate according to T6 at all:
International Shoe is a seminal case in civil procedure classes.

This is absolutely correct, although you should keep in mind that a small class of words (mostly business designations like the "Co." in "International Shoe Co.") is still abbreviated if the case is part of a sentence.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”