2/3L Supplements Thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
steindle

2/3L Supplements Thread

Postby steindle » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:53 pm

There are a million of these threads for 1L courses, but I can't really find a comprehensive one for 2Ls & 3Ls.

What I can attest to:
- Environmental Law and Policy (Salzman/Thompson): I thought that this book was pretty terrible for most of the class, because it goes into very little detail about any particular statute and provides a more overarching summary of each. Then, deep in uncertainty the night before the exam, I read through each relevant chapter and felt like it helped me to focus my thoughts substantially. Recommended, if only for that reason.
- Understanding the Law of Zoning and Land Use Controls (Burke): Probably the best supplement I've ever had. Went into both the big picture and the minutest details of virtually every important land use case...Easy to read/comprehend...There is none finer (though the Jurgensmeyer hornbook is indispensable as well).
- Understanding Criminal Procedure (Dressler): Just as amazing as his Crim Law supplement -- highly recommended.

What I'm curious about:
- Corporations
- Real Estate Finance & Development
- Evidence

Any opinions are appreciated.

Welp2277

Re: 2/3L Supplements Thread

Postby Welp2277 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:04 pm

steindle wrote:There are a million of these threads for 1L courses, but I can't really find a comprehensive one for 2Ls & 3Ls.

What I can attest to:
- Environmental Law and Policy (Salzman/Thompson): I thought that this book was pretty terrible for most of the class, because it goes into very little detail about any particular statute and provides a more overarching summary of each. Then, deep in uncertainty the night before the exam, I read through each relevant chapter and felt like it helped me to focus my thoughts substantially. Recommended, if only for that reason.
- Understanding the Law of Zoning and Land Use Controls (Burke): Probably the best supplement I've ever had. Went into both the big picture and the minutest details of virtually every important land use case...Easy to read/comprehend...There is none finer (though the Jurgensmeyer hornbook is indispensable as well).
- Understanding Criminal Procedure (Dressler): Just as amazing as his Crim Law supplement -- highly recommended.

What I'm curious about:
- Corporations
- Evidence

I thought the Evidence E&E was excellent. Check out the CALIs too.

RW65

Postby RW65 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:09 pm

Welp2277 wrote:
steindle wrote:There are a million of these threads for 1L courses, but I can't really find a comprehensive one for 2Ls & 3Ls.

What I can attest to:

What I'm curious about:
- Corporations
- Evidence

I thought the Evidence E&E was excellent. Check out the CALIs too.

+1 to the E&E. Really breaks down evidence in a way that is easy to understand. There are a ton of CALI lessons that are helpful if you have a MC exam.

npe

Postby npe » Sun Dec 19, 2010 8:34 pm

I'm a fan of CrunchTime in general, but I thought the Evidence one in particular was very good. For PR, not so much.

I also can't believe I didn't do CALI exercises as a 1L last year.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 11:13 pm

I concur on the Evidence E&E... my professor's communication skills weren't very good, so the E&E really clarified some things. The Corporations E&E wasn't much use to me b/c it didn't match up very well with the course I had... lots of stuff in the E&E we didn't cover and vice versa.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:44 am

I didn't use a supplement this quarter. I will see in a few weeks if that was a good decision.

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:47 am

Anybody have recs for an IP survey course?

BunkMoreland

Postby BunkMoreland » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:55 am

Corporations E+E was just OK. It has alot more info than we covered in a class, but the stuff that we did cover is solid.

samiseaborn

Postby samiseaborn » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:51 pm

I'm not usually a flash card person but Corporations Law in a Flash really helped me out for the basics. Also great if you have a short attention span for this class like I did.

Also unsolicited but:
Copyright: understanding copyright + some old exams online

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:44 pm

I liked Bainbridge's Corporate Law (Concepts & Insights series).

steindle

Postby steindle » Thu Jan 06, 2011 3:33 pm

Has anyone used Chemerinsky's Criminal Procedure: Adjudication text? His Contracts treatise was a lifesaver for me, but I have no idea how this is supposed to be...

Also, re: Evidence. Would the E&E from 2004 still hold up to some extent? That's all our library had and it would be nice not to have to buy one.

BobSacamano

Postby BobSacamano » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:29 pm

I didn't really use any supplements last semester, just lots of CALI, so I'm not much help. Anyone got anything for Conflict of Laws?

mikeytwoshoes

Postby mikeytwoshoes » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:33 pm

The health care law and ethics Nutshell was helpful.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:28 pm

steindle wrote:Has anyone used Chemerinsky's Criminal Procedure: Adjudication text? His Contracts treatise was a lifesaver for me, but I have no idea how this is supposed to be..

This is all kinds of confusing.

steindle

Postby steindle » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:17 am

RVP11 wrote:
steindle wrote:Has anyone used Chemerinsky's Criminal Procedure: Adjudication text? His Contracts treatise was a lifesaver for me, but I have no idea how this is supposed to be..

I momentarily mixed up supplementary texts by Chirelstein (Contracts) and Chemerinsky (Con Law), both of which were integral to my success over the course of 1L. Is that all you're confused about?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Fri Jan 07, 2011 12:47 am

steindle wrote:
RVP11 wrote:

I momentarily mixed up supplementary texts by Chirelstein (Contracts) and Chemerinsky (Con Law), both of which were integral to my success over the course of 1L. Is that all you're confused about?

That and I wasn't aware that Chemerinsky had written an Adjudication treatise.

xyzbca

Postby xyzbca » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:47 pm

I found Understanding Corporate Law to be useful.

Any suggestions to go along with Wills, Trusts & Estates by Dukeminier?

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 6:49 pm

xyzbca wrote:Any suggestions to go along with Wills, Trusts & Estates by Dukeminier?

There's an Emanuel keyed to it.

The Emanuel keyed to the Dukeminier Property casebook was amazing.

dood

Postby dood » Sun Jan 09, 2011 7:21 pm

wat yall think about federal jurisdiction by chemerinsky for fed courts?

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:23 pm

dood wrote:wat yall think about federal jurisdiction by chemerinsky for fed courts?

Chemerinsky was a Godsend (knock on wood) for Con Law last semester and I can't imagine he'd be any different for federal jurisdiction. Also, I've heard good things.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:14 pm

Any suggestions for more advanced Civ Pro courses and conflicts? Commercial Paper?

tingles

Postby tingles » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:49 pm

The tax e&e was awesome for Federal Individual Income Tax.

Do you guys have supp suggestions for:
A basic international law class
Criminal Procedure 2: bail to jail? (is the e&e good?)

sammyjoey

Postby sammyjoey » Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:04 am

Can anyone recommend a good supplement for Sec Reg or M&A?

AJaKe

Postby AJaKe » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:35 pm

Last edited by AJaKe on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Paichka

Postby Paichka » Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:29 am

tingles wrote:The tax e&e was awesome for Federal Individual Income Tax.

Do you guys have supp suggestions for:
A basic international law class
Criminal Procedure 2: bail to jail? (is the e&e good?)

Crim Pro 2, Dressler is still TCR. His "Understanding Criminal Procedure: Vol 2 (Adjudicatory)" is awesome. I haven't looked at the E&E (I don't like them, so YMMV).

For First Amendment law, I've heard people speak highly about the "First Amendment in a Nutshell" book -- I think that may have a lot to do with the fact that Barron and Dienes teach here though.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”