Study Aids for Property/Contracts

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sfdreaming09

Study Aids for Property/Contracts

Postby sfdreaming09 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:35 am

Any suggestions? Just looking for a general overview of the stuff so I can take a look at it over break. The E&E's any good? Thanks

kalvano

Re: Study Aids for Property/Contracts

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:15 am

Glannon Guide To Property. It's like $22 on Amazon. Awesome. It's why I think I might have a C instead of an F.

ReesesPieces15

Postby ReesesPieces15 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:18 am

E and E for contracts worked wonders for me

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:22 am

I really liked Understanding Property

camstant

Postby camstant » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:36 am

E&E is pretty good if you're gonna read it before classes start because it's so concise. The thing about property is that there is so much that different teachers cover with varying amounts of emphasis (compared to something like torts where everyone learns intentionals and negligence) so it's hard to know what part of the supplements to read unless you have a syllabus already. Understanding property is a good supplement but you'll hate property before you even start if you read that now...

Edit: my bad, that was all for property.

Contracts: Chirelstein would be good for a quick read over break, although i think the E&E is a better go-to for the semester. A lot of people hate on the contracts E&E because it's so long, but if you keep on it throughout it's worth it imo...

lawschooliseasy

Postby lawschooliseasy » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:43 am

Honestly the K E&E reads a bit like a treatise. I had a copy of it in case I really didn't understand something, but relied much more on Gilbert's.

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Tue Dec 21, 2010 9:26 pm

There's no real clear like THE ONE supplement for either one. These are what I used:

Property:

-Future Interests - Linda Edward's Estates in Land and Future Interests book - absolutely wonderful. Understood RAP easily after doing all of the problems.

-Gilbert's Property - written by the same author as the Dukeminier Property textbook. Great explanations and BLL outlines for Property.

-E & E Property - eh, it's a little bit lacking in substance. Great practice material though!

-Cali - not that shabby. Wished it had more practice problems for future interests and other subjects.

Contracts:

-E & E - the best in my opinion. I understood damages better with it. Problem is that the answers to problems are rather verbose. However, law school questions could always go both ways so it makes sense why everything is so friggin' long.

-Crunchtime - the outline was the best thing. It helped me understand the big picture in Contracts quickly and with ease.

-Chirelstein - eh, that book is kinda blah. It's a great read for a train ride / commuting to school.

-Understanding Contracts - hornbook-ish. I'd rather advise you not to buy it b/c you probably won't have time to read it like EVER.

Also, it's great to have sample answers for exams + older outlines. My law school sometimes had sample answers for exams, which helped me understand how the professors approach their exams. Older outlines helped me with the outlining process + getting the big picture for law school subjects.

pandacot

Postby pandacot » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:57 pm

ericng314 wrote:There's no real clear like THE ONE supplement for either one. These are what I used:

Property:

-Future Interests - Linda Edward's Estates in Land and Future Interests book - absolutely wonderful. Understood RAP easily after doing all of the problems.

TMFCR

That book is awesome.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Dec 23, 2010 6:01 am

Gilbert's was the only thing that I extensively used for property during the semester (but then again, the author was teaching the class, so that makes sense) and I used CALI towards the end of the semester, which helped a lot. Sprankling didn't do much for me. I tried to use the E&E for a little bit, but I thought that my time was better spent on other things. Didn't seem like that great of a resource.

thuggishruggishbone

Postby thuggishruggishbone » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:49 am

law in a flash flashcards

deadpanic

Postby deadpanic » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:59 pm

I found Emanuels crunchtime contracts really helpful and concise. I also had the Emanuel's for property and I didn't find it helpful.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:02 pm

I thought Chirelstein on Contracts was awesome. I think it is generally very highly regarded- its a short case-based coverage of the subject.

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:17 pm

I'm a fan of Chirelstein for K's and Singer's Property (Aspen series) for Property.

Postby 98234872348 » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 pm

Helmholtz wrote:Gilbert's was the only thing that I extensively used for property during the semester (but then again, the author was teaching the class, so that makes sense) and I used CALI towards the end of the semester, which helped a lot. Sprankling didn't do much for me. I tried to use the E&E for a little bit, but I thought that my time was better spent on other things. Didn't seem like that great of a resource.

+1, definitely sample the E&E before you buy it.

Same thing can be said for Ks, I was not a big fan of the E&E.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”