Appropriate to e-mail profs after finals? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
3ThrowAway99

Gold

Re: Appropriate to e-mail profs after finals?

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:34 am

LjakW wrote:How about typing in a short thank you sentence at the end of your test? I know it's in major suck-up territory, but I think that would be the point...
I've always thought about doing that. Any thoughts?
Just Say No.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Dec 18, 2010 12:57 pm

arism87 wrote:
evilxs wrote:This is the law school students forum, :roll:
My apologies for using the "latest posts" function instead of forum topics, and I did state that it is my general opinion and not law school-specific.

Comments like this make me dread law school sometimes.

:roll:
You can dread law school in the 0L forums 8)

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:00 pm

SBL wrote:
dresden doll wrote:You are aware that your professor is probably receiving a six figure salary for his 'time' (which, by the way, isn't exactly an 80 hours a week schedule) right?

I just find it a strange concept that you want to thank someone for doing their job, especially when that job is exceedingly well paid and highly coveted (i.e. many would kill for it).
Because they work hard and it's kinda nice? Everyone likes to hear "Hey, job well done."
I'd argue that most of the hard work associated with academia doesn't come from the teaching part.

Either way, course evaluation forms seem like a pretty adequate vehicle to convey the 'job well done' message.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:17 am

dresden doll wrote:
SBL wrote:
dresden doll wrote:You are aware that your professor is probably receiving a six figure salary for his 'time' (which, by the way, isn't exactly an 80 hours a week schedule) right?

I just find it a strange concept that you want to thank someone for doing their job, especially when that job is exceedingly well paid and highly coveted (i.e. many would kill for it).
Because they work hard and it's kinda nice? Everyone likes to hear "Hey, job well done."
I'd argue that most of the hard work associated with academia doesn't come from the teaching part.

Either way, course evaluation forms seem like a pretty adequate vehicle to convey the 'job well done' message.

It comes from dealing with the self-entitled, whiny bitch students. I'm not going to see every professor, but ones I felt did an outstanding job, I know it's nice for them to get an office visit that's positive instead of a bitch-fest.

MrKappus

Gold

Post by MrKappus » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:31 am

kalvano wrote:It comes from dealing with the self-entitled, whiny bitch students. I'm not going to see every professor, but ones I felt did an outstanding job, I know it's nice for them to get an office visit that's positive instead of a bitch-fest.
Isn't "self-entitled" redundant? +1 on visits to profs w/ whom you connected, but gotta be careful about ex parte comm's before grades are in. Better safe than sorry.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

BrownBears09

Bronze

Post by BrownBears09 » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:35 am

SBL wrote:

+1 easily and works in many facets of life (especially from a leadership perspective.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”