2L grades thread - 1L's can't have all the fun.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FlightoftheEarls

Re: 2L grades thread - 1L's can't have all the fun.

Postby FlightoftheEarls » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:05 pm

stinger35 wrote:Any Michigan-ers out there want to let me know around what time grades start rolling in so I can save myself the hassle and anxiety of checking everyday (transfer here)

Last year in our 1L courses they would almost all pop up within a day or two of the grading due dates. I think maybe a couple sections had a sporadic one pop up about 5 days earlier, but that's about it. Really don't know what to expect with these. I have a practicum with grades that were turned in two weeks ago and are supposed to be up already, but aren't.

I'm trying not to actually start checking until a few days after classes start again, but I don't know how it'll work for upper division courses.

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Ok, what does it really take to graduate in the top 10 (students, not %) in LS?

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:20 pm

QandAphorism wrote:Ok, what does it really take to graduate in the top 10 (students, not %) in LS?

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

The ability to spot issues quickly and accurately address each one in proper detail. You have to write a better exam than the rest of your class.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:22 pm

QandAphorism wrote:Ok, what does it really take to graduate in the top 10 (students, not %) in LS?

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

Being able to apply law to fact better than their peers.

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:44 pm

Cavalier wrote:

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

Ok, if a lot of it is relative to peers, would it serve one well to take great efforts to develop an idea of the biases/perspectives of others in one's class in order to supersede them in some way? I understand this sounds like I'm asking if you should become an insufferable "gunner."

QandAphorism

Postby QandAphorism » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:45 pm

A'nold wrote:

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

The ability to spot issues quickly and accurately address each one in proper detail. You have to write a better exam than the rest of your class.

So there's basically an element of "hey law prof, this here is why I'm better then the rest of these clowns."

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 3:59 pm

QandAphorism wrote:
A'nold wrote:

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

So there's basically an element of "hey law prof, this here is why I'm better then the rest of these clowns."

Welcome to the curve.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:33 pm

QandAphorism wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

Ok, if a lot of it is relative to peers, would it serve one well to take great efforts to develop an idea of the biases/perspectives of others in one's class in order to supersede them in some way? I understand this sounds like I'm asking if you should become an insufferable "gunner."

Don't do that. Just learn how to properly take an exam. Read the guides here on doing well in law school.

RVP11

Postby RVP11 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 5:10 pm

QandAphorism wrote:Ok, if a lot of it is relative to peers, would it serve one well to take great efforts to develop an idea of the biases/perspectives of others in one's class in order to supersede them in some way? I understand this sounds like I'm asking if you should become an insufferable "gunner."

Gawd no. The fact that this even occurred to you puts me on gunner alert.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:29 am

RVP11 wrote:
QandAphorism wrote:Ok, if a lot of it is relative to peers, would it serve one well to take great efforts to develop an idea of the biases/perspectives of others in one's class in order to supersede them in some way? I understand this sounds like I'm asking if you should become an insufferable "gunner."

Gawd no. The fact that this even occurred to you puts me on gunner alert.

+1. Use your energy to figure your professor out. Use his favorite key words and show him that you were paying attention to his boring rants.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:37 am

God love real time grade posting. None of this "wait for us to calculate the class rank" BS.

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:38 am

Got an unexpected late Christmas present; one of my grades was posted, and it was a good one on an exam I thought I might have bombed!
Last edited by Aqualibrium on Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:39 am

Aqualibrium wrote:Got an unexpected late Christmas present; one of my grades was posted, and it was a good one in on an exam I thought I might have bombed!

May this be a good omen for the rest of us!

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:53 am

megaTTTron wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:Got an unexpected late Christmas present; one of my grades was posted, and it was a good one in on an exam I thought I might have bombed!

May this be a good omen for the rest of us!

LOL hope it was a good omen for the rest of my exams.

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:45 am

Just got an email saying that our grades would come out "before January 21st." That is one hell of a wait. Is that normal for 2L grades?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:24 am

Total Litigator wrote:Just got an email saying that our grades would come out "before January 21st." That is one hell of a wait. Is that normal for 2L grades?

I took an exam for a mini course the first week of October. It had a 1200 word limit. Guess what, no grade yet. On the other hand, I got a grade the Monday after Christmas for an exam I took on the 15th. So I think the best answer any one can give you is "it depends."

Postby 1234543523 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:19 am

QandAphorism wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

Hours?
Amount of work?
Capacities?
Etc?

Sounds like you've already got insufferable down.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Fri Dec 31, 2010 4:05 pm

Total Litigator wrote:Just got an email saying that our grades would come out "before January 21st." That is one hell of a wait. Is that normal for 2L grades?

Sadly, I think yes.

nleefer

Postby nleefer » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:13 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:I am still tired of waiting for grades.

Do you know when Berkeley tends to start posting grades? I check every morning but it still says grades are not yet available.

iagolives

Postby iagolives » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:34 pm

So, overall, what do people think is the better system: holding all the grades and releasing at once or releasing them as they are available?

Aqualibrium

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:40 pm

iagolives wrote:So, overall, what do people think is the better system: holding all the grades and releasing at once or releasing them as they are available?

Holding and releasing all on one day (preferably a set date). That removes the constant urge to check IMO.

LjakW

Postby LjakW » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:45 pm

iagolives wrote:So, overall, what do people think is the better system: holding all the grades and releasing at once or releasing them as they are available?

Each when available.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:59 pm

I think releasing them as they become available is better because those who don't want to deal with constantly refreshing can simply wait until all grades are released before checking.

seespotrun

Postby seespotrun » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:01 pm

Cavalier wrote:

I think releasing them as they become available is better because those who don't want to deal with constantly refreshing can simply wait until all grades are released before checking.

No. No, they cannot simply wait.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:13 pm

seespotrun wrote:
Cavalier wrote:

No. No, they cannot simply wait.

Both of my roommates managed to do it, and I probably will this semester (although, it's much easier as a 2L when grades don't matter).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”