2L grades thread - 1L's can't have all the fun. Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chadwick218

Silver

Re: 2L grades thread - 1L's can't have all the fun.

Post by chadwick218 » Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:13 am

chadwick218 wrote:1. Sec Reg: A-
2. Structuring Transactions: Commercial Finance: A
3. Negotiations: A-
4. Corporate Tax: A-
5. Tax Ethics: A-
6. Entrepreneurship Law: A
graded dropped today ... pleasantly surprised from my prediction back in December

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:19 pm

Any Penn students here who were in this Corporations class? Wow, talk about awful options:
We are left with a problem concerning the results of the exam. I have discussed the matter with Deans Fitts and Clinton.
We have agreed on the following protocol:
A) The results of Monday’s test will be graded based only on the essay question. Each of you will receive an email in the middle the next week that reports this grade to you.
B) Once you receive this report of your grade, you will have three choices as to how to proceed: 1) Accept that grade as your grade in the course; 2) Take the grade of Pass for the course; or 3) Take a retest to be administered on Friday afternoon, January 14, 2011.
C) If you choose to take the retest, your grade for the course will be the higher of your grade on the retest and your grade on the original test. The retest will follow exactly the same format as the original test—one-third multiple choice; two-thirds essay; time of three and one-half hours.
I would be seething if the exam that I crushed myself studying for was wiped out because of my professor's laziness/incompetence. How are you supposed to retake an exam? I barely remember anything from my first semester courses, and the exams were only month ago!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:21 pm

BobSacamano wrote:Any Penn students here who were in this Corporations class? Wow, talk about awful options:
We are left with a problem concerning the results of the exam. I have discussed the matter with Deans Fitts and Clinton.
A) The results of Monday’s test will be graded based only on the essay question. Each of you will receive an email in the middle the next week that reports this grade to you.
B) Once you receive this report of your grade, you will have three choices as to how to proceed: 1) Accept that grade as your grade in the course; 2) Take the grade of Pass for the course; or 3) Take a retest to be administered on Friday afternoon, January 14, 2011.
C) If you choose to take the retest, your grade for the course will be the higher of your grade on the retest and your grade on the original test. The retest will follow exactly the same format as the original test—one-third multiple choice; two-thirds essay; time of three and one-half hours.
I would be seething if the exam that I crushed myself studying for was wiped out because of my professor's laziness/incompetence. How are you supposed to retake an exam? I barely remember anything from my first semester courses, and the exams were only month ago!
What actually happened?

Aqualibrium

Gold

Post by Aqualibrium » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:23 pm

megaTTTron wrote:
BobSacamano wrote:Any Penn students here who were in this Corporations class? Wow, talk about awful options:
What actually happened?
--LinkRemoved--

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:24 pm

Yikes, that sounds horrible! I don't know what I would do. It would probably depend how the rest of my transcript was/ how badly I needed that grade to make me look good, if I thought it would. If I thought I bombed it, and the essay confirmed this, I'd just take the Pass. No way I'd study for and take the exam again.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

megaTTTron

Silver

Post by megaTTTron » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:28 pm

Aqualibrium wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:
What actually happened?
--LinkRemoved--
thanks. i can't believe it happened again. I hope you did well (enough not to have to retake).

BobSacamano

Bronze

Post by BobSacamano » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:39 pm

Sorry, kind of hid the link in my post. It's hyperlinked to the word "this."

Big Shrimpin

Gold

Post by Big Shrimpin » Fri Jan 14, 2011 12:41 pm

lol "snafu" pretty much sums it up

helfer snooterbagon

Bronze

Post by helfer snooterbagon » Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:19 pm

Bankruptcy: A
Tax: A
Worker's Comp: A-

One more semester to go. This has been the longest 4 years of my life!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

iagolives

Silver

Post by iagolives » Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:44 pm

helfer snooterbagon wrote:One more semester to go. This has been the longest 4 years of my life!
Are you a joint degree?

npe

Bronze

Post by npe » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:08 pm

Evidence: A-
Prof. Resp.: B
Adv. Crim. Pro.: B+

We'll see though. I went to PR the first day and never went back. I went to the other two classes less than half the time. Most of my focus this semester was on my externship and a teaching fellowship. The teaching fellowship typically gives a 5-credit A if you don't screw up your writing requirement, but it doesn't register until the spring.
Update: B in Adv. Crim. Pro. Ugh.

Prof. was a jackass and deviated hugely from the curve. People got muthafuckin D's.

Blindmelon

Gold

Post by Blindmelon » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:16 pm

Lesson learned after 3 semesters of law school - the amount you study, prepare, care about the class means 0.
I obsessed over my admin class and did tons of practice exams: B+. I completely blew off Corporations, did barely any reading, tech checked during class: A-.

Bustang

Bronze

Post by Bustang » Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:51 pm

What the hell does "pass" mean?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

laborday

New

Post by laborday » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:32 pm

chadwick218 wrote:
graded dropped today ... pleasantly surprised from my prediction back in December
Does each actual grade match your prediction? If so, that is amazing!

solidsnake

Silver

Post by solidsnake » Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:51 pm

tbf, isn't median at nu an A-

rayiner

Platinum

Post by rayiner » Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:16 pm

solidsnake wrote:tbf, isn't median at nu an A-
B+.

NU's curve isn't inflated in the middle, it's just stretched out. A- average is grade-on to LR level at Michigan, while it's about top 1/4 at NU. I'd personally rather have more than one grade increment separating top of the class from median, but that's just how Michigan rolls I guess.

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:37 pm

laborday wrote:
chadwick218 wrote:
grades dropped today ... pleasantly surprised from my prediction back in December
Does each actual grade match your prediction? If so, that is amazing!
Did a little bit better in a couple of classes than expected, but close.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:38 pm

rayiner wrote:
solidsnake wrote:tbf, isn't median at nu an A-
B+.

NU's curve isn't inflated in the middle, it's just stretched out. A- average is grade-on to LR level at Michigan, while it's about top 1/4 at NU. I'd personally rather have more than one grade increment separating top of the class from median, but that's just how Michigan rolls I guess.
Rayiner, would you say that our grade distribution seems to be somewhat bi-modal after the first year?

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:56 pm

RVP11 wrote:Gradeless. :x
Why the anger? You already told us you can predict your grades with amazing accuracy.

JazzOne

Gold

Post by JazzOne » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:29 pm

existenz wrote:
Why the anger? You already told us you can predict your grades with amazing accuracy.
Lol

dougroberts

Bronze

Post by dougroberts » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:38 pm

Evidence I: A-
Corporations: A-
Constitutional Law I: A
Legal Ethics: C (expected - oops)
Copyright: A

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chadwick218

Silver

Post by chadwick218 » Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:55 pm

dougroberts wrote:Evidence I: A-
Corporations: A-
Constitutional Law I: A
Legal Ethics: C (expected - oops)
Copyright: A
While I know that it stings, a "C" in legal ethics is kind of funny. Congrats on everything else though!

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Mon Jan 17, 2011 12:01 am

existenz wrote:
Hey now, if I can't be a douche in the 1L thread then you can't be a douche in the 2L thread.

And I never claimed amazing accuracy. I was just countering those folks (mostly 1Ls) who act like it's some kind of bizarro-world where predicting your grades is impossible simply because they're not very good at it.

seespotrun

Gold

Post by seespotrun » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:18 am

RVP11 wrote:
existenz wrote:
Hey now, if I can't be a douche in the 1L thread then you can't be a douche in the 2L thread.

And I never claimed amazing accuracy. I was just countering those folks (mostly 1Ls) who act like it's some kind of bizarro-world where predicting your grades is impossible simply because they're not very good at it.
Hey, bro. One of my frat bros directed me to this site. Your avatar is a picture of me. Please take it down -- it's weird. Don't be a fucking asshole.

RVP11

Gold

Post by RVP11 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:26 am

seespotrun wrote:Hey, bro. One of my frat bros directed me to this site. Your avatar is a picture of me. Please take it down -- it's weird. Don't be a fucking asshole.
I forget what this is from...

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”