1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
OGR3

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby OGR3 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Apparently the first grades came out last night, but the website has been down for maintenance since this morning and won't be back up until tomorrow...

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:55 pm

atashakor wrote:my grades dont come out till january 28th, i dont even know where i stand because of the curve at my school (30 percent attrition rate).
Im just going to continue taking ambion everynight till the 28th

no shit? which school?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:57 pm

lsathalon wrote:
straxen wrote:NYUer in section 2...just got my first grade in CivPro, and it was an A. I'll be happy if the rest come back B-'s.

Section 5. You just gave me a heart attack, but, alas, no grades here. Congratulations on CivPro!!

I panicked, too! Nothing for Section 1 yet, either. This makes me think at least Contracts will posted next week, though. (We had stringent word limits in Ks in my section, so it seems like it should be the first grade in.)

Congrats, straxen.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:59 pm

filtered wrote:Anyone know how much typos knock you down? just got my grades back with all B-s and when I told my brother I never spell-checked he was shocked by the idea and told me typos probably knocked me down from at least a B, if not a B+, in all my classes. I pretty much typed straight through every final (with some initial outlining on paper first), with 0 proof-reading and 0 spell-checking. This was, in hindsight, probably the worst idea ever.

I asked all four of my professors this question. One said it would be a horrendous waste of time to try to edit your paper. The other three said that it would only be a factor if it was so sloppy that they could not understand what you were saying. Your professors are people, they know what kind of constraints you have to work under during the exam (after all, they've been through it).

Sakura3210

Postby Sakura3210 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:24 pm

BenJ wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
straxen wrote:NYUer in section 2...just got my first grade in CivPro, and it was an A. I'll be happy if the rest come back B-'s.

Section 5. You just gave me a heart attack, but, alas, no grades here. Congratulations on CivPro!!

I panicked, too! Nothing for Section 1 yet, either. This makes me think at least Contracts will posted next week, though. (We had stringent word limits in Ks in my section, so it seems like it should be the first grade in.)

Congrats, straxen.

Straxen - I am insanely jealous, congrats.
Not just b/c you got an A, but because you got A grade. So weird that a CivPro class is out first though. Seriously, what about the word limited tests? :?
...I want my graaaaades I think this wait is making me slowly regress :lol:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:26 pm

Fuck this wait, one day I'm like "yeah I feel pretty good about the exams" and the next I'm like "fuck, I want to jump off a bridge".

straxen

Postby straxen » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:31 pm

Sakura3210 wrote: So weird that a CivPro class is out first though.

No kidding, that's the grade I was expecting not to come out for about another month. But our prof did say that he had nothing to do over the holidays but sit with his dog reading our exams, so I guess he wasn't exaggerating.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:37 pm

I can't imagine waiting as long as some people have to wait.

I'm trying to picture what takes so much time. Are they just reading a couple a day?

nygrrrl

Postby nygrrrl » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 pm

I. Want. My. Graaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaades.
*sigh* that is all.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Geist13 wrote:
filtered wrote:Anyone know how much typos knock you down? just got my grades back with all B-s and when I told my brother I never spell-checked he was shocked by the idea and told me typos probably knocked me down from at least a B, if not a B+, in all my classes. I pretty much typed straight through every final (with some initial outlining on paper first), with 0 proof-reading and 0 spell-checking. This was, in hindsight, probably the worst idea ever.

I asked all four of my professors this question. One said it would be a horrendous waste of time to try to edit your paper. The other three said that it would only be a factor if it was so sloppy that they could not understand what you were saying. Your professors are people, they know what kind of constraints you have to work under during the exam (after all, they've been through it).

Yeah this was basically the type of feedback I recall getting on this subject. I did notice in some practice tests my typos sometimes included accidentally negating (or non-negating) phrases though, which could obviously be a BIG problem.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:47 pm

At least on our exams, we used SoftTest, which had a built in spell check. I ran it once after each essay, and found some pretty egregious errors. If they are frequent, they might have some subconscious effect on how a Prof perceives the exam as a whole.

I was shocked to talk to some people that didn't even run a spell check. It takes all of 30 seconds and it will find some basic mistakes.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:13 pm

missinglink wrote:At least on our exams, we used SoftTest, which had a built in spell check. I ran it once after each essay, and found some pretty egregious errors. If they are frequent, they might have some subconscious effect on how a Prof perceives the exam as a whole.

I was shocked to talk to some people that didn't even run a spell check. It takes all of 30 seconds and it will find some basic mistakes.

In my experience softest made shit worse!!!

It changed some of my moderately misspelled but still ineligible words to crazy nonsensical shit. And there is simply not time to make sure every single words in a 6K word exam is spelled correctly.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:52 pm

swc65 wrote:
missinglink wrote:At least on our exams, we used SoftTest, which had a built in spell check. I ran it once after each essay, and found some pretty egregious errors. If they are frequent, they might have some subconscious effect on how a Prof perceives the exam as a whole.

It changed some of my moderately misspelled but still ineligible words to crazy nonsensical shit. And there is simply not time to make sure every single words in a 6K word exam is spelled correctly.

That's interesting. I was clicking through pretty fast. I'll have to see if it did anything weird when they return the exams. I wonder if that's the reason there seems to have been a problem in past years, judging by the comments in the exam bank, with people referring to the parole evidence rule in Ks.

It's all a blur at this point. But I remember it mostly picking up words where the letters got jumbled from typing too fast. And words that I just don't know how to spell.

Citizenlawyer

Postby Citizenlawyer » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 am

go to your exam paper and run a spell check not to freak out more. I did not have time to do spell check on my 7 single space civpro answer and, having run it now, I found 3 understandable typos, that is all.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:59 am

missinglink wrote:
swc65 wrote:

That's interesting. I was clicking through pretty fast. I'll have to see if it did anything weird when they return the exams. I wonder if that's the reason there seems to have been a problem in past years, judging by the comments in the exam bank, with people referring to the parole evidence rule in Ks.

It's all a blur at this point. But I remember it mostly picking up words where the letters got jumbled from typing too fast. And words that I just don't know how to spell.

Funny story.

With two minutes to go on one exam, I ran spell check. I just kept clicking "change" and then accidentally changed "eachother" or some derivation to "peashooter," a word I didn't know existed. So with one minute to go, and without the CTRL + F function, I was trying to find the word "peashooter" in my contracts exam so I didn't look like an idiot. Luckily I found it.

rsx

Postby rsx » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:02 am

theantiscalia wrote:
missinglink wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Funny story.

With two minutes to go on one exam, I ran spell check. I just kept clicking "change" and then accidentally changed "eachother" or some derivation to "peashooter," a word I didn't know existed. So with one minute to go, and without the CTRL + F function, I was trying to find the word "peashooter" in my contracts exam so I didn't look like an idiot. Luckily I found it.

Or you could have just pasted a link to http://www.damnyouautocorrect.com at the bottom.

plum

Postby plum » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:05 am

theantiscalia wrote:Funny story.

i seriously laughed out loud.

Postby 09042014 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:45 am

mistergoft wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:
gsrgrado wrote:I know everyone says this but I really didn't see it coming. I thought I had a great handle on the material and was never lost in class. The most disappointing thing is I worked harder on Torts than in any class, reading and re-reading every case and then putting a lot of time into writing the briefs. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to come up with excuses but I guess I understood the law but just sucked at taking exams. Who knows.

I'm seriously considering withdrawing but I'm really dreading letting friends and family know that I couldn't handle law school and becoming another unemployed guy in his 20s with nothing to show for it.

My scholarship is conditional on me maintaining a 3.0 but I've already paid Spring semester and, if I were to stay, am not sure if they would take it away or I would have a chance to get my GPA back up. Either way, I'm a total fucking mess right now and am not looking forward to walking into the law building on the first day of classes on Monday. I've been lying in bed all day doing nothing and I fucking hate myself so much at the moment.

Look. I know my input may not mean much on TLS since I'm in lowly ranked school, but my opinion is to keep going. Yes, stellar grades are what separates the bright stars from the stars. Yes the bright stars do indeed get the gravy intern-clerkship's and come out of law school with 100+K a year jobs already in the bag. But the "rest" come out of law school and go on to be successful attorney's as well.

What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class from Medical School????

A Doctor!

What do you tell the dude who finished last at his law school class median at his T14?

Unemployed.

fixed.

Oh I'll get Corsair'd no matter what my grades.

JazzOne

Postby JazzOne » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:46 am

plum wrote:
theantiscalia wrote:Funny story.

i seriously laughed out loud.

foxtrottortxof

Postby foxtrottortxof » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:08 am

LRW: P
CivPro: P
Property: P
LegReg: H
Ks: LP/P

Oy, that don't look too pretty...

(still predictions, (un)fortunately)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:06 am

All sorts of rumors going around about our CivPro grades. First it was "everyone fucked up the first question" and now our prof is not done grading yet. The other section already has 3 grades and we're all waiting on K's, but I feel like my two grades so far are giving me false hope and I'm going to get a major smackdown with my last two... :? .

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 11:54 am

IAFG was right, this thread just does cause anxiety.

goosey

Postby goosey » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:15 pm

grades on wednesday.

I am so not ready to go back to school tomorrow. I have like 38792738 pages of reading to do which I have no yet started..need to go buy highliters and a notebook. oh god. Not ready for school at ALL.

JordynAsh

Postby JordynAsh » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:46 pm

goosey wrote:grades on wednesday.

I am so not ready to go back to school tomorrow. I have like 38792738 pages of reading to do which I have no yet started..need to go buy highliters and a notebook. oh god. Not ready for school at ALL.

Getting grades back during school sounds horrible. I'm starting to think it might happen to my section too, even though all the other sections have at least one grade already.

Mroberts3

Postby Mroberts3 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:55 pm

theantiscalia wrote:
missinglink wrote:
swc65 wrote:

Funny story.

Now I'm glad we had spell check disabled for our softest exams! I'm sure I misspelled easy words, but at least they were intelligible and not, you know, peashooter. :)

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”