1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
gsrgrado

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby gsrgrado » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:20 pm

Have 2/5 grades back so far and I'm pretty devastated.

Torts: C
Civ Pro: C+

Puts my GPA right now at around 2.1 with my school's 3.0 curve. Not sure what to do or if there's any point in staying enrolled.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:27 pm

gsrgrado wrote:Have 2/5 grades back so far and I'm pretty devastated.

Puts my GPA right now at around 2.1 with my school's 3.0 curve. Not sure what to do or if there's any point in staying enrolled.

Sorry to hear. Do you have any idea what went wrong/what you could have done different?

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:28 pm

gsrgrado wrote:Have 2/5 grades back so far and I'm pretty devastated.

Sorry about that, but it may not be the end of the world.

2/5 grades? how many credits have been graded and how many do you have left. Also what school?

Do you know what went wrong? Do you think you can fix it.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:31 pm

I'd cancel next semesters loans and tuition right now.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:33 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'd cancel next semesters loans and tuition right now.

sad to say, but +1.

gsrgrado

Postby gsrgrado » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:39 pm

I know everyone says this but I really didn't see it coming. I thought I had a great handle on the material and was never lost in class. The most disappointing thing is I worked harder on Torts than in any class, reading and re-reading every case and then putting a lot of time into writing the briefs. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to come up with excuses but I guess I understood the law but just sucked at taking exams. Who knows.

I'm seriously considering withdrawing but I'm really dreading letting friends and family know that I couldn't handle law school and becoming another unemployed guy in his 20s with nothing to show for it.

My scholarship is conditional on me maintaining a 3.0 but I've already paid Spring semester and, if I were to stay, am not sure if they would take it away or I would have a chance to get my GPA back up. Either way, I'm a total fucking mess right now and am not looking forward to walking into the law building on the first day of classes on Monday. I've been lying in bed all day doing nothing and I fucking hate myself so much at the moment.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:41 pm

gsrgrado wrote:The most disappointing thing is I worked harder on Torts than in any class, reading and re-reading every case and then putting a lot of time into writing the briefs.

That's not exactly the best use of your time. Did you read supplements and/or take a lot of practice tests, too?

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:44 pm

gsrgrado wrote:I know everyone says this but I really didn't see it coming. I thought I had a great handle on the material and was never lost in class. The most disappointing thing is I worked harder on Torts than in any class, reading and re-reading every case and then putting a lot of time into writing the briefs. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to come up with excuses but I guess I understood the law but just sucked at taking exams. Who knows.

It sounds like if you rethink your strategy you'll do a bit better. Don't spend more than 5 minutes briefing, just extract the BLL and maybe some of the facts, that's all you need. Don't re-read cases, read supplements and take practice exams.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 pm

gsrgrado wrote:I know everyone says this but I really didn't see it coming. I thought I had a great handle on the material and was never lost in class. The most disappointing thing is I worked harder on Torts than in any class, reading and re-reading every case and then putting a lot of time into writing the briefs. I don't want to seem like I'm trying to come up with excuses but I guess I understood the law but just sucked at taking exams. Who knows.

I'm seriously considering withdrawing but I'm really dreading letting friends and family know that I couldn't handle law school and becoming another unemployed guy in his 20s with nothing to show for it.

My scholarship is conditional on me maintaining a 3.0 but I've already paid Spring semester and, if I were to stay, am not sure if they would take it away or I would have a chance to get my GPA back up. Either way, I'm a total fucking mess right now and am not looking forward to walking into the law building on the first day of classes on Monday. I've been lying in bed all day doing nothing and I fucking hate myself so much at the moment.

First, calm down. They are just grades. That's all. AND these are just TWO grades, you have three more left. There is no reason to hate yourself over some grades. Everybody fucks up from time to time- I failed the shit out of JUNIOR college (like three Fs). It's really nothing to hate yourself over at all.

Second, you need to figure out what your schools tuition refund policy is. Some schools have a step system where the longer you are in classes the less you can get back.

Third, go see these professors and see what you did wrong. Maybe your Papers just didn't land as far down the stairs as the others.

Fourth, decide if you cannot improve enough to make law school worth it. If not, so what? You tried and maybe weren't so great at it. Try something else. People do that shit all the time. There's nothing wrong with it at all.

Last- your friends and family will get over it and support if they are even halfway decent people!!
Last edited by swc65 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Imagine the shame of being mid twenties unemployed with a lot of debt.

If your other grades come back this poor, you'll have next to no chance of working back to 3.0 to keep your scholly.

Get a refund for spring if you can. This might end up being good for you. Even if you got straight B's your job prospects would be shit. Knowing now you aren't cut out for it, means you only have one semester of debt.

dibs

Postby dibs » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:47 pm

take medical/mental leave and start again. you can get a refund on your tuition for spring while taking the time reassess your situation. won't save your scholarship should you return, but at least it will save your semester tuition in the event you decide not to return.

or just realize that it's not the end of the word and now that you know what you're doing you are bound to improve.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:57 pm

Look. I know my input may not mean much on TLS since I'm in lowly ranked school, but my opinion is to keep going. Yes, stellar grades are what separates the bright stars from the stars. Yes the bright stars do indeed get the gravy intern-clerkship's and come out of law school with 100+K a year jobs already in the bag. But the "rest" come out of law school and go on to be successful attorney's as well.

What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class from Medical School????

A Doctor!

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:00 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:

Look. I know my input may not mean much on TLS since I'm in lowly ranked school, but my opinion is to keep going. Yes, stellar grades are what separates the bright stars from the stars. Yes the bright stars do indeed get the gravy intern-clerkship's and come out of law school with 100+K a year jobs already in the bag. But the "rest" come out of law school and go on to be successful attorney's as well.

What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class from Medical School????

A Doctor!

What do you tell the dude who finished last at his law school class?

Unemployed.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:04 pm

Last edited by yo! on Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 09042014 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:06 pm

yo! wrote:Only one grade back for me so far. It was a bittersweet B+ in Contracts. We actually had a graded midterm and I misread the question. As a result, half of my answer literally got nothing but big "X" marks crossing out the pages. I got either an A or A- (both equal the same grade, so not sure yet) on my final, but unfortunately that only translated to a B+ because of my midterm fuckup. Still, it was the highest possible grade I could get after the midterm, so I'm happy with it.

Nice perseverance.

I had a very similar contracts midterm experience but luckily it was ungraded.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:14 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:

What do you call the guy who graduated last in his class from Medical School?

A Doctor!

What do you tell the dude who finished last at his law school class?

Unemployed.

touche :cry:

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:20 pm

Last edited by yo! on Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

filtered

Postby filtered » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:21 pm

So how bad is getting all B-s? I know it's not very bottom of the class, but it's definitely in the bottom half. Are job prospects completely awful even with these sorts of grades?

Sometimes i wish i had taken a full scholarship to a lower-ranked school instead. I have friends getting Bs in such schools and I know I get this stuff way better than them.

To put it in context, i'm at a top 20 school.

yo!

Postby yo! » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:25 pm

Last edited by yo! on Thu May 10, 2012 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:

A Doctor!

What do you tell the dude who finished last at his law school class median at his T14?

Unemployed.

fixed.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:30 pm

filtered wrote:So how bad is getting all B-s? I know it's not very bottom of the class, but it's definitely in the bottom half. Are job prospects completely awful even with these sorts of grades?

Sometimes i wish i had taken a full scholarship to a lower-ranked school instead. I have friends getting Bs in such schools and I know I get this stuff way better than them.

dropout.

filtered

Postby filtered » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:32 pm

soaponarope wrote:
filtered wrote:So how bad is getting all B-s? I know it's not very bottom of the class, but it's definitely in the bottom half. Are job prospects completely awful even with these sorts of grades?

dropout.

Serious response?

It kind of baffles me that if things are this bad for people below median at top schools then how hard it must be for people at lower ranked schools.

Postby 98234872348 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:34 pm

filtered wrote:
soaponarope wrote:

dropout.

Serious response?

It kind of baffles me that if things are this bad for people below median at top schools then how hard it must be for people at lower ranked schools.

Very, very hard.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:36 pm

Yes if you allow it to become the bane of your existence. People who rely heavily on top performance as the ONLY indicator of their higher caliber will set themselves up for failure every time.
Personally I believe that networking is one of the greatest tools of success one can master throughout law-school and onto their professional life.
True if you've never had a job or worked a day in your life, have no real-world experience to speak of, then YES, your grades will be the most single greatest indicator of your abilities until you show otherwise.

atashakor

Postby atashakor » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:49 pm

my grades dont come out till january 28th, i dont even know where i stand because of the curve at my school (30 percent attrition rate).
Im just going to continue taking ambion everynight till the 28th

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”