1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Grizz

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Grizz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:04 pm

beach_terror wrote:
MSPeast wrote: - Desperate, desperate shots

This basically describes my drinking habits all the time though.

This. Aggressive drinking or no drinking.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:05 pm

:D
rad law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
MSPeast wrote: - Desperate, desperate shots

This basically describes my drinking habits all the time though.

This. Aggressive drinking or no drinking.

Some people get medical exemptions :D :oops: :D

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Wed Jan 05, 2011 7:39 pm

waiting and waiting....

joeshmo39

Postby joeshmo39 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:01 pm

fouronthe4loor wrote:FYI - first UVA 1L grade posted last night (Civ Pro). Maybe the others will start rolling in soon?

I absolutely lost my mind and went to lawweb, heart racing, panicked, stumbled around, searched my e-mail, re-discovered SIS, and then didn't have any of my grades posted. Dear God, I thought I was fine until now and could be even keeled, I am not.

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:02 pm

Congrats to all of the positive grade news coming in!

I'm living vicariously since I feel doomed to failure.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:13 pm

My grades come out all at once . . . on the 18th.

I'm not ok with this.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:21 pm

whew.. first grade was just posted. A- in property. Thank god. I screwed up an abbreviation on the future interest problems so this feels like a gift. I knew the material well enough for an A, but fuck it, ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

happy187

Postby happy187 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:37 pm

Lrw b-

Not a good start

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:15 pm

SeymourShowz wrote:whew.. first grade was just posted. A- in property. Thank god. I screwed up an abbreviation on the future interest problems so this feels like a gift. I knew the material well enough for an A, but fuck it, ain't gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Congrats!

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:37 pm

Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:49 pm

Lawquacious wrote:Well, got my K grade back: B. My school doesn't currently give pluses or minuses so now I'm wondering how close to A range I was.

Definitely disappointed, but this is the test I went into with literally no hours of sleep the night before, so I really was expecting it (though I was still hoping for that A somehow and even had a dream I got an A in Ks). Now I'm hoping for As in the other two graded classes I had. I will be disappointed if that doesn't happen, especially because we had mid-term scores given to us before the final for each of those classes (about 20% of the grade for each of those classes); I think I was toward the top of each class going into the finals. I think I need to get As in both of those classes to have a glimmer of hope at eventually transferring to T14 (from lower T1), but if that doesn't happen I feel like I will very much relax my approach to law school and be more comfortable settling in where I am at (knowing that other options probably won't be available, and that strenuous effort on my part would have seemed to me to have resulted in grades that did not pay off). I think I'll also feel like the grading process is fairly capricious, but at this point there's obv nothing I can do about whatever else is going to come back, so I might as well take it in stride.

I can't believe how nervous I was checking the grade when I saw on FB that K grade had come back. Now for the others (hopefully soon). A bit annoyed (not for the first time) at the assistant Dean who said she would send an email out when the first grades were sent to the registrar, such that we would know grades could be expected the next day or so. I guess with her history of giving inaccurate timelines and information I shouldn't be surprised. I just don't feel I have any way to gauge when the other grades are likely to come back, so I will prob be checking online a lot.

No +/- is a fucking awful system.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:52 pm

Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:54 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:Well, got my K grade back: B. My school doesn't currently give pluses or minuses so now I'm wondering how close to A range I was.

Definitely disappointed, but this is the test I went into with literally no hours of sleep the night before, so I really was expecting it (though I was still hoping for that A somehow and even had a dream I got an A in Ks). Now I'm hoping for As in the other two graded classes I had. I will be disappointed if that doesn't happen, especially because we had mid-term scores given to us before the final for each of those classes (about 20% of the grade for each of those classes); I think I was toward the top of each class going into the finals. I think I need to get As in both of those classes to have a glimmer of hope at eventually transferring to T14 (from lower T1), but if that doesn't happen I feel like I will very much relax my approach to law school and be more comfortable settling in where I am at (knowing that other options probably won't be available, and that strenuous effort on my part would have seemed to me to have resulted in grades that did not pay off). I think I'll also feel like the grading process is fairly capricious, but at this point there's obv nothing I can do about whatever else is going to come back, so I might as well take it in stride.

I can't believe how nervous I was checking the grade when I saw on FB that K grade had come back. Now for the others (hopefully soon). A bit annoyed (not for the first time) at the assistant Dean who said she would send an email out when the first grades were sent to the registrar, such that we would know grades could be expected the next day or so. I guess with her history of giving inaccurate timelines and information I shouldn't be surprised. I just don't feel I have any way to gauge when the other grades are likely to come back, so I will prob be checking online a lot.

No +/- is a fucking awful system.

I know! They are actually changing it next year, but I find it kind of hard to believe they've had it this long now. I suppose it can work for a person as well as against them, but it really seems like it can screw people at the margins in an amazing way. :?

It pwns for someone consistently in the A- or B- range.

How many get A's, B's and C's? If only a small number get A's it's not that bad actually.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:57 pm

Last edited by Lawquacious on Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

nyyankees

Postby nyyankees » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:06 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Distribution is 30% As, 60 % Bs, and 10% C or lower.

this feels like a modified high pass/pass/low pass system, no?

I guess the question is, if you get Bs for all 3 years, will you get a job?

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:07 pm

Lawquacious wrote:

Wow a pretty flat curve. Great top those consistantly top20, pretty great for those who are bottom third. Fucks over those in the middle.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:09 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

feels like it to me. weak. a) fuzzy grading encourages gaming the system, and b)it's fuckin fuzzy.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:24 pm

nyyankees wrote:
Lawquacious wrote:

That's a good question; one I didn't think I would be in a position to ponder for myself, but now am kind of wondering if I could be facing that scenario or something close (the only reason I wouldn't think I would be in this position myself is that I'm on a considerable scholarship here, but that obv doesn't guarantee anything).

I'm under the impression that almost everyone is still able to get some sort of a legal job upon graduation or shortly thereafter, though I did hear from one 3L (I think she was a 3L) who was having a hard time getting any sort of job. I think BigLaw placement tends to be 10-15%. The school has a high percentage of placement into clerkships upon graduation (relative to peer schools as far as I know, and I think even relative to some quite highly ranked schools), but obv judges are looking for someone who has strong grades for the most part.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:28 pm

sensible gunners, I salute you
--ImageRemoved--

Encyclopedia Brown

Postby Encyclopedia Brown » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:58 pm

delBarco wrote:My grades come out all at once . . . on the 18th.

I'm not ok with this.

Ditto but around the 20th. One professor says it's to avoid the roller coaster of emotions that comes with getting one grade at a time. I don't know why, I'd much rather freak out a little bit every week.

It's also hard to motivate myself to apply for a slew of jobs requiring grades when I don't have any. Of course, if I bomb it'll be even harder.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:01 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote: One professor says it's to avoid the roller coaster of emotions that comes with getting one grade at a time.

I feel like I so would have rather gotten all my grades at once (still waiting on two, and after getting the first one I'm even more concerned about those than I was before).. But really I think the waiting just plain sucks no matter what..

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:03 pm

Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Ditto but around the 20th. One professor says it's to avoid the roller coaster of emotions that comes with getting one grade at a time. I don't know why, I'd much rather freak out a little bit every week.

It's also hard to motivate myself to apply for a slew of jobs requiring grades when I don't have any. Of course, if I bomb it'll be even harder.

That does suck- its still quite a bit of time to wait.. Also, I hear you on having a whole bunch of jobs to still submit for but no grades to do it..

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Borhas wrote:sensible gunners, I salute you
--ImageRemoved--

:lol:

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:12 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote:Ditto but around the 20th. One professor says it's to avoid the roller coaster of emotions that comes with getting one grade at a time. I don't know why, I'd much rather freak out a little bit every week.

That does suck- its still quite a bit of time to wait.. Also, I hear you on having a whole bunch of jobs to still submit for but no grades to do it..

Submit anyway. I got an interview for a judicial internship with no grades... and I go to a T2.

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:53 pm

Lawquacious wrote:
Encyclopedia Brown wrote: One professor says it's to avoid the roller coaster of emotions that comes with getting one grade at a time.

I feel like I so would have rather gotten all my grades at once (still waiting on two, and after getting the first one I'm even more concerned about those than I was before).. But really I think the waiting just plain sucks no matter what..

+1. My heart pounds, my hands get clammy, and I feel like I'm going to vomit every time I get an email that a grade is posted. I'm naturally the biggest worry wart you will ever meet. I may not have hair left after the last grade is posted. I much rather only go through this one time instead of 3 or four separate times.

Just got an email that my Crim. grade is posted and it'll probably take me another hour before I open it. This is what I get for measuring my self-worth to grades heh.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”