1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
chicagolaw2013

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:07 pm

Feel like I dominated Torts today, but then again, so did everyone else, I'm sure.

Contracts and Civ Pro, lackluster at best. Hoping for Bs.

Legal writing...PWNED everyone. Too bad LRW counts for FUCKING NOTHING. Because I schooled everyone else. By a mile.

Best part: DONE AND ON MY THIRD VODKA TONIC. God I love booze.
Last edited by chicagolaw2013 on Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:13 pm

skoobily doobily wrote: "Grades not available upon request, or at any other time"

And this just made my life, FYI. Spit-my-drink-out funny. Thanks, dude.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:16 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:
skoobily doobily wrote: "Grades not available upon request, or at any other time"

+1.

I wonder if I could somehow sneak an interview in before they see my grades. I can impress on the interview so they'll just overlook the bottom 5% thing.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Dec 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Jan 11 cannot come soon enough.

I'll say:
Legal Writing : A
Torts : B
Contracts : B+
CivPro : A-

CivPro could come out a C, though. Exam was open book / open note and ridiculously easy.

One question dealt entirely with 15(c). I'm hoping enough people prepped with commercial supplements that had the old rules for amending a complaint. Talked to a good number of people that didn't know it had been amended within the last year or so. :oops:

abudaba

Postby abudaba » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:09 pm

Torts: > B-
Crim Law: > B
Contracts: > B+
Property: > C
LRW: > B

Feel like I really gave it everything I had and have no regrets. Its all up to the curve now. May the law school Gods look favorably upon me.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Wed Dec 15, 2010 8:53 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:Feel like I dominated Torts today, but then again, so did everyone else, I'm sure.

Contracts and Civ Pro, lackluster at best. Hoping for Bs.

Legal writing...PWNED everyone. Too bad LRW counts for FUCKING NOTHING. Because I schooled everyone else. By a mile.

Pretty much all that for me too. Favorite and best class was LRW and it only counts 1 hour, whereas the torts exam I'm going to fail tomorrow counts for 4 hours. If I gets Bs in Civ Pro and Contracts, I will be thrilled.

JCougar

Postby JCougar » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:56 am

Property: A
Contracts: A
LW: B+
LR: A-

It won't matter, though, because:
Torts: C-

Gamecubesupreme

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Thu Dec 16, 2010 1:32 pm

Legal Writing is a full-year course, so no idea what will happen next semester.

Civil Procedure: B+
Contracts: B
Criminal Law: B-
Torts: B

Contracts and Torts were too easy and the prof gave us way too much time. I don't feel my exam was exceptional enough to put me above median, when I know a lot of the good students biggest problem was being stressed for time. That extra 30 minutes gave a lot of them the ammunition they need to really polish their exams : (

Civil Procedure was just a giant curve ball where he asked a 3 hour essay on opportunity to be heard. I took a full test of his and knew what he wants to see, so I'm hoping for a miracle.

Criminal law was just...bad. Ran out of time on the policy question about castle doctrine. Don't think my issue-spotting was particularly good either. Definitely my worst exam.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:52 pm

All done! Just got home from the bar where I had a nice big burger and a couple pitchers of beer. Now it's time to sit back, play some PS3 and be completely lazy for the next three weeks.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:47 pm

Done. Too bad I'm so ingrained in my routine that I feel like I should be working. So now I'm going to talk to a prof. about RA positions.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:16 pm

Civ Pro: B+/B. I overheard people talking about the exam, and either they all misread a question, or I did. There were two policy questions when there hadn't been any on the old exams. Complete crapshoot.

Legal Writing: B-. I did below median on the first draft of my memo, I don't see how I could possibly have done that much better on the final draft. Will be elated if I end up even close to median.

Property: B+. Thought the test went pretty well, but it was the first year he let students use their outlines and I think he might not have made it harder yet to compensate.

Contracts. Haven't taken yet, I did good on the ungraded midterm, but I haven't studied much in the past few days while everyone else has been hitting the books hard, so probably medianish.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:34 pm

On a related side note, got home about 30 minutes ago from last night's utter debauchery. WOOOOOOOO what a shitshow of an evening hahahaha.

BriaTharen

Postby BriaTharen » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:37 pm

I will openly weep if don't get an A in Legal Traditions/Comparative Law. I rocked that final. Mock me if you like.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:42 pm

Drunk and might stay this way until grades come out.

jdubb990

Postby jdubb990 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:35 pm

When is everyone getting their grades back? I dont get mine back until the end of January...lame.

chicagolaw2013

Postby chicagolaw2013 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:39 pm

I don't even know a date...have looked everywhere. Assuming sometime in late January...ugh.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:26 pm

chicagolaw2013 wrote:I don't even know a date...have looked everywhere. Assuming sometime in late January...ugh.

Yeah same. Lame.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:29 pm

The most irritating thing about late January?

All the 1L summer positions that want grades but close their applications at the beginning of February.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:34 pm

kalvano wrote:The most irritating thing about late January?

All the 1L summer positions that want grades but close their applications at the beginning of February.

Apply and update grades?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:38 pm

rad law wrote:
kalvano wrote:The most irritating thing about late January?

Apply and update grades?

I threw up a thread in the "employment" forum specifically asking about that.

kimber1028

Postby kimber1028 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:04 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
chicagolaw2013 wrote:

+1.

I wonder if I could somehow sneak an interview in before they see my grades. I can impress on the interview so they'll just overlook the bottom 5% thing.

A friend of mine managed it for an interview 2L fall. The first interview went great -- but they asked her to bring her transcript to the callback.

go4hls

Postby go4hls » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:06 pm

yamiR6 wrote:Civ Pro: C+
Torts: A-

Lawyering: A

i've got to make some big changes next semester. no more social life. no more xbox.

LOL, dude, you had time for a social life? You played xbox? Damn, I'm jealous. I played a grand total of 6 hours of video games over the course of the past semester. Admittedly, I didn't study as much as the previous sentence suggests, cause I procrastinate/I'm-super-inefficient. But if I get mediocre 1st sem grades, then that's that...I got no more to give :?

robin600

Postby robin600 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:34 pm

go4hls wrote:
yamiR6 wrote:Civ Pro: C+
Torts: A-

Lawyering: A

i've got to make some big changes next semester. no more social life. no more xbox.

LOL, dude, you had time for a social life? You played xbox? Damn, I'm jealous. I played a grand total of 6 hours of video games over the course of the past semester. Admittedly, I didn't study as much as the previous sentence suggests, cause I procrastinate/I'm-super-inefficient. But if I get mediocre 1st sem grades, then that's that...I got no more to give :?

If I don't play xbox for at least an hour a day, I die. I study way harder/longer/more focused after xbox. IDK how I did...I have a feeling in the class where I got the best grade in the class in = poor final, and poor midterm= great final. Who knows :(

Ty Webb

Postby Ty Webb » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:44 pm

Torts: A
Destroyed this exam. Typed ~9000 words in 2.5 hours; next closest student total was 5000ish. I also spent too much time on this subject and thus knew it cold. My brain was in overdrive on the day of the exam, and the exam was tailored to things I had focused on and topics I knew a lot about independently.

Ks: B+
Hoping for the just above median here. This exam was brutal, so perhaps I'm underestimating myself. The whole class seemed to struggle with it, and I spent too much time analyzing certain issues. Subpar (if not turrible) results on our practice midterm for a large % of the class is my only saving grace here.

Civ Pro: Ask me tomorrow afternoon.

LRW: B+?
No idea how to tell, honestly. I killed the 20% "final", but have no idea how to gauge my memo's quality. I'll take the safe route here and call it a just-above median B+.

A- on Civ Pro tomorrow leaves me right at the 10% cutoff. :twisted: :twisted:

as stars burn

Postby as stars burn » Thu Dec 16, 2010 9:05 pm

Legal Writing I: B/B+, I landed a smidge above median on the first memo, first memo rewrite and second memo. I have no idea how I did on the second memo rewrite or statutory assignment, but I feel very confident about them, so it would be amazing to get a B+
Crim. Law: B, I felt pretty good coming out of the test, but then as days went by I started to second guess myself/discover things I missed. Overall, I think I did well but I just don't feel like I did anything to distinguish myself.
Torts (take it tomorrow) B/B+: I know the information pretty well; however, I'm a little worried about missing a few issues.

So, currently I'm feeling I'll be either median or a little above median. I worked my ass off this semester though. I get severe test anxiety so if I get the above grades or higher I'll be incredibly proud of myself. Seriously.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”