1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby missinglink » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:38 am

Chiglaw wrote:4 As so far. Waiting for Kontracts which should be posted in the next hour. Went from expecting a gpa free-fall to being totally stunned in a matter of days. :D

Way to kill it!

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Grizz » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 am

liLtuneChi wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:CLS people waiting still?


still waiting on con law

she needs to hurry up and just give me my final A so I can be Kent secure


You'll probably still come off as a massive douche no matter what the grade; don't worry.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:51 am

liLtuneChi wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:CLS people waiting still?


still waiting on con law

she needs to hurry up and just give me my final A so I can be Kent secure


I ask in all seriousness. Do you honestly go out of your way to be an insufferable douche or are you completely oblivious to it?

User avatar
swc65
Posts: 1003
Joined: Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:27 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby swc65 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:13 am

of Benito Cereno wrote:CLS people waiting still?



Still waiting on 2 of 4!!!!!!!

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:52 am

Since I have all of my grades, can I use this thread to bitch about waiting to hear back about journals? This is apparently my new thing to worry about.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby kaiser » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Since I have all of my grades, can I use this thread to bitch about waiting to hear back about journals? This is apparently my new thing to worry about.


Same. Still another 2 and a half weeks until my school lets us know.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:58 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Since I have all of my grades, can I use this thread to bitch about waiting to hear back about journals? This is apparently my new thing to worry about.


No because:

1) You aren't getting LR
2) Nobody cares what secondary journal you are on
3) Everyone gets one.

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:05 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Since I have all of my grades, can I use this thread to bitch about waiting to hear back about journals? This is apparently my new thing to worry about.


No because:

1) You aren't getting LR
2) Nobody cares what secondary journal you are on
3) Everyone gets one.

I was just telling D-hops about my irrational fear of getting journal no-offered. But he told me to STFU.


kaiser wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Since I have all of my grades, can I use this thread to bitch about waiting to hear back about journals? This is apparently my new thing to worry about.


Same. Still another 2 and a half weeks until my school lets us know.

We have over a month and my career dude told me we won't know in time to update our OCI resumes on Symplicity.

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28260
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:34 pm

No clue what my grades mean anyway, so that's cool.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Kronk wrote:No clue what my grades mean anyway, so that's cool.


P =B
H = A-
HH = A

Boalt Grade -> Real school conversion

User avatar
Kronk
Posts: 28260
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:18 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Kronk » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Kronk wrote:No clue what my grades mean anyway, so that's cool.


P =B
H = A-
HH = A

Boalt Grade -> Real school conversion


Alright, but then what's it curved to? Imaginary B+?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:16 pm

Kronk wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Kronk wrote:No clue what my grades mean anyway, so that's cool.


P =B
H = A-
HH = A

Boalt Grade -> Real school conversion


Alright, but then what's it curved to? Imaginary B+?


I'm sure you guys know what about makes you median.

IMO Boalt did it wrong. They should have only had H, and they should have an LP, just like Harvard. That way Straight P's means you aren't confused with idiots, and firms could kind of use "number of H's" as a guide.

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby solotee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:56 pm

I can finally conclude 1L and all its misery...1L year has been the best 'worst experience' I never want to go through again.

Made it into the top 10%

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Kobe_Teeth
Posts: 964
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:40 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:04 pm

solotee wrote:I can finally conclude 1L and all its misery...1L year has been the best 'worst experience' I never want to go through again.

Made it into the top 10%

Good luck to everyone still waiting.


Congrats.

I'm waiting on 1 grade and have been waiting on this grade for about two weeks, maybe more (as in, all my other grades are in and am just waiting on this one). Grades were due in the system yesterday. Thought for sure we would get it today. Getting pissed.

missinglink
Posts: 946
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:49 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby missinglink » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:20 pm

Last grade in: A-. This somewhat lifts my spirits.

Damage for the semester:

A
A-
B
B+

3.45 overall. Effing Property.

First semester:

A
A
A-
A-

User avatar
beach_terror
Posts: 7256
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:26 pm

missinglink wrote:Last grade in: A-. This somewhat lifts my spirits.

Damage for the semester:

A
A-
B
B+

3.45 overall. Effing Property.

First semester:

A
A
A-
A-

Still did well man, congrats. Pretty much all the regular loathers in here ended up doing pretty well - congrats to everyone for surviving it all.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:32 pm

romothesavior wrote:Pretty happy with my grades, but I am really nervous about cutoffs. I am VERY close to a percentile that could have a big impact on how firms view me at OCI (not top 10%, but another important one at WUSTL). In 2010, 2008, 2007, and 2006, I'm inside the cutoff. 2009 was a weird year with higher GPAs, and I'd miss the cutoff in that year. We had pretty high GPA cutoffs for last fall, so I am crossing my fingers that I made it. Either way, a pretty good (and remarkably consistent) year. My blood pressure has dropped significantly.

Found out that I am exactly on the cutoff I was shooting for... as in, I am the last person in that cutoff (my GPA = the percentile cutoff). Woot woot, feeling good about grades and looking forward to getting things moving for OCI.

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:44 pm

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Pretty happy with my grades, but I am really nervous about cutoffs. I am VERY close to a percentile that could have a big impact on how firms view me at OCI (not top 10%, but another important one at WUSTL). In 2010, 2008, 2007, and 2006, I'm inside the cutoff. 2009 was a weird year with higher GPAs, and I'd miss the cutoff in that year. We had pretty high GPA cutoffs for last fall, so I am crossing my fingers that I made it. Either way, a pretty good (and remarkably consistent) year. My blood pressure has dropped significantly.

Found out that I am exactly on the cutoff I was shooting for... as in, I am the last person in that cutoff (my GPA = the percentile cutoff). Woot woot, feeling good about grades and looking forward to getting things moving for OCI.
:lol: Here's hoping that's the magic number, broseph - pretty sure I'm right there with you. Just want to get recruiting season over with and enjoy the hell out of 2L.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:50 pm

stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Pretty happy with my grades, but I am really nervous about cutoffs. I am VERY close to a percentile that could have a big impact on how firms view me at OCI (not top 10%, but another important one at WUSTL). In 2010, 2008, 2007, and 2006, I'm inside the cutoff. 2009 was a weird year with higher GPAs, and I'd miss the cutoff in that year. We had pretty high GPA cutoffs for last fall, so I am crossing my fingers that I made it. Either way, a pretty good (and remarkably consistent) year. My blood pressure has dropped significantly.

Found out that I am exactly on the cutoff I was shooting for... as in, I am the last person in that cutoff (my GPA = the percentile cutoff). Woot woot, feeling good about grades and looking forward to getting things moving for OCI.
:lol: Here's hoping that's the magic number, broseph - pretty sure I'm right there with you. Just want to get recruiting season over with and enjoy the hell out of 2L.


By most accounts, 2L year is less enjoyable than 1L...

User avatar
stratocophic
Posts: 2207
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:52 pm

D-hops wrote:
stratocophic wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Pretty happy with my grades, but I am really nervous about cutoffs. I am VERY close to a percentile that could have a big impact on how firms view me at OCI (not top 10%, but another important one at WUSTL). In 2010, 2008, 2007, and 2006, I'm inside the cutoff. 2009 was a weird year with higher GPAs, and I'd miss the cutoff in that year. We had pretty high GPA cutoffs for last fall, so I am crossing my fingers that I made it. Either way, a pretty good (and remarkably consistent) year. My blood pressure has dropped significantly.

Found out that I am exactly on the cutoff I was shooting for... as in, I am the last person in that cutoff (my GPA = the percentile cutoff). Woot woot, feeling good about grades and looking forward to getting things moving for OCI.
:lol: Here's hoping that's the magic number, broseph - pretty sure I'm right there with you. Just want to get recruiting season over with and enjoy the hell out of 2L.


By most accounts, 2L year is less enjoyable than 1L...
Perhaps, but most people also don't take just 12 normal hours and only have class 3 days per week

Image

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:55 pm

I don't see how 2L can be worse. I just don't see it. I think the people who say this are joiners who are on 3 E-boards, some TTT- secondary journal that pretends its law review, and they gun hard.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:01 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I don't see how 2L can be worse. I just don't see it. I think the people who say this are joiners who are on 3 E-boards, some TTT- secondary journal that pretends its law review, and they gun hard.


I mean journal, an extra substantive class (though no CLR makes up for it), eboards, and call backs / employment worries are all going on during 2L. Less pressure to kill it than 1L but decidedly more work.

Zazelmaf
Posts: 229
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 5:42 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Zazelmaf » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:11 pm

missinglink wrote:When you say dramatically, how much?


Before | After
Property 96 | 90
Contracts 95 | 83
Civil Procedure 78 | 81

Fall finals
Torts 88
Crim 87

Spring Finals
Constitutional 83

Final GPA = 3.14
Midterm GPA was around 3.5 with the midterm grades

Curve = 80

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby keg411 » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:27 pm

romothesavior wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Pretty happy with my grades, but I am really nervous about cutoffs. I am VERY close to a percentile that could have a big impact on how firms view me at OCI (not top 10%, but another important one at WUSTL). In 2010, 2008, 2007, and 2006, I'm inside the cutoff. 2009 was a weird year with higher GPAs, and I'd miss the cutoff in that year. We had pretty high GPA cutoffs for last fall, so I am crossing my fingers that I made it. Either way, a pretty good (and remarkably consistent) year. My blood pressure has dropped significantly.

Found out that I am exactly on the cutoff I was shooting for... as in, I am the last person in that cutoff (my GPA = the percentile cutoff). Woot woot, feeling good about grades and looking forward to getting things moving for OCI.


Congrats!

User avatar
solotee
Posts: 481
Joined: Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby solotee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 4:43 pm

For those that are curious:

Fall:

A
A
A-
P

Spring:

A
A-
A-
B+

It's funny that in spring semester, I did the best in the class where my computer froze numerous times during the exam and finally crashed (which made me lose 20 minutes before getting it rebooted). Seriously law school, what the hell?




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: electriklemon, ididntwantsalmon, mazatec and 10 guests