1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.


Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?


That is an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. They only created the cutoffs this year (used to be top 50%, 10% #5) so I can't imagine they'd retool OCI.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:53 pm

kaiser wrote:EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.


Haha, and my 3.7 didn't. Screw you section B.

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:54 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.


Mens rea as to what?


I only learned crim for about 3 days before I forgot it again. But the tricky part was combining the loose mens rea for statory rape (ie usually none) with the mens rea for attempt and complicity.

So you had to basically do mens rea as to conduct and circumstance. And for complicity there are differing standards.

User avatar
starchinkilt
Posts: 361
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:22 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

My crim exam was based on this
Image

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:55 pm

starchinkilt wrote:My crim exam was based on this
Image


Mine was harry potter. I'll trade you.

kaiser
Posts: 2940
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 11:34 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Cupidity wrote:
kaiser wrote:EDIT: Everything just changed completely. I was half-sulking a minute ago. My freakin section's curve was so weird that my supposed top 25% is EXACTLY the top 10% cutoff GPA. I'm amazed, confused, and ecstatic right now.


Haha, and my 3.7 didn't. Screw you section B.


I have no clue how my section's curve was that different from the other 2

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:57 pm

A bunch of people traveling towards a certain intersection after having committed variouos forms of crimes or assisting in them, one of the vehicles has kidnapped baby, BOOM massive car accident. Baby dies. Have fun sorting the shit out.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:00 pm

Cupidity wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.


Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?


That is an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. They only created the cutoffs this year (used to be top 50%, 10% #5) so I can't imagine they'd retool OCI.


Well, even if it does you can probably meet with the employers at Lavender Law (if you are going).

User avatar
jsarna1
Posts: 85
Joined: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:14 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby jsarna1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:02 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Still no grades. Getting REALLY mad, especially since today is supposed to be the deadline and they pushed it back to next week.


Our grade deadline isn't until the 21st, but every other section has at least one grade back. It's also been 73 days since the brief was turned in and no LRW grade. :(


I'm in section 2 and I don't have any grades yet.

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:03 pm

D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Cupidity wrote:10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.


Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?


That is an interesting question that I do not know the answer to. They only created the cutoffs this year (used to be top 50%, 10% #5) so I can't imagine they'd retool OCI.


Well, even if it does you can probably meet with the employers at Lavender Law (if you are going).


Been considering it, you think its worth it?

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:07 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Been considering it, you think its worth it?


Depends, I am going because NU reimburses us for registration and I can get a plane ticket for free. The hotel is still expensive though. That being said, I've heard a lot of people getting additional interviews from the career fair there.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:12 pm

lol, DF, I saw that

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:13 pm

D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that


How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that


How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.


I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:16 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that


How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.


I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.


Who's the hangar and who's the 747?

09042014
Posts: 18282
Joined: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm

D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that


How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.


I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.


I'm not pretty enough to get a stewardess gay.

Maybe a baggage haler gay?

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:30 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.


Mens rea as to what?


I only learned crim for about 3 days before I forgot it again. But the tricky part was combining the loose mens rea for statory rape (ie usually none) with the mens rea for attempt and complicity.

So you had to basically do mens rea as to conduct and circumstance. And for complicity there are differing standards.


The reason I ask is that statutory rape generally has no MR as to the only thing that usually matters (age). Attempted statutory rape with no MR as to age is usually fine, but taking an inchoate crime with no MR that matters (i.e., the crime is attempting to to have sex with a person with purpose only as to the sex not the age) and trying to broaden the net even further to an accomplice is probably going to be a bridge too far. Accomplices have to have intent, but whether they have to have intent as to the age of the victim is the question here. The MPC leaves this to judicial resolution, for good reason. Complicity for inchoate offenses strains our notions of justice, but it's allowed in theory. Complicity (which requires purpose) for an inchoate offense that by definition doesn't have MR where it matters is beyond the pale. Any prosecutor who walks into court with this turd runs the risk of being laughed at. This is only slightly less problematic than trying to find someone guilty as an accomplice to an attempted felony murder.

goodolgil
Posts: 923
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 6:01 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby goodolgil » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:36 pm

quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.


Mens rea as to what?


I only learned crim for about 3 days before I forgot it again. But the tricky part was combining the loose mens rea for statory rape (ie usually none) with the mens rea for attempt and complicity.

So you had to basically do mens rea as to conduct and circumstance. And for complicity there are differing standards.


The reason I ask is that statutory rape generally has no MR as to the only thing that usually matters (age). Attempted statutory rape with no MR as to age is usually fine, but taking an inchoate crime with no MR that matters (i.e., the crime is attempting to to have sex with a person with purpose only as to the sex not the age) and trying to broaden the net even further to an accomplice is probably going to be a bridge too far. Accomplices have to have intent, but whether they have to have intent as to the age of the victim is the question here. The MPC leaves this to judicial resolution, for good reason. Complicity for inchoate offenses strains our notions of justice, but it's allowed in theory. Complicity (which requires purpose) for an inchoate offense that by definition doesn't have MR where it matters is beyond the pale. Any prosecutor who walks into court with this turd runs the risk of being laughed at. This is only slightly less problematic than trying to find someone guilty as an accomplice to an attempted felony murder.


You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
D-hops wrote:lol, DF, I saw that


How many do I have to suck to get a free plane ticket?

Under three is probably a fair trade.


I'm getting mine through frequent flyer miles. But really you just need to date someone who works for an airline and get on their buddy pass.


I'm not pretty enough to get a stewardess gay.

Maybe a baggage haler gay?


Yeah, not sure that is going to work either. You don't really fit into a stereotype yet. Need more hair and either more or less weight. You are in the twilight zone right now.

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:39 pm

goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.


He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.

User avatar
D-hops
Posts: 688
Joined: Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:48 pm

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

bjsesq wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.


He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.


LTK alt?

User avatar
bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate
Posts: 13383
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:02 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:40 pm

D-hops wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.


He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.


LTK alt?



BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Touche, man.

User avatar
quakeroats
Posts: 1399
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:34 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby quakeroats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:01 pm

bjsesq wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.


He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.


I don't post a lot on law--as opposed to law school. Mostly I just try to keep things interesting.
Last edited by quakeroats on Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
pleasetryagain
Posts: 762
Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 1:04 am

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:12 pm

quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
goodolgil wrote:You must be that guy in law school who is always talking about law/law school no matter what the situation is. I have met many of your kindred spirits.


He stops talking about law school sometimes. He never stops trying to prove how smart he is.


I don't post a lot on law--as opposed to law school. Mostly I just try to keep things interesting.


you have failed at keeping things interesting.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Feedfetcher and 2 guests