1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
kalvano wrote:So wait, some of your Career Services Offices provide info not just on the preferred GPA range of the firm, but on exactly what GPA's got interviews and callbacks?
Not exact GPA's, but top, median, and bottom. It's helpful, to say the least.

Is there a list provided, or do you have to ask for it from OCS?
List is provided.

Kilpatrick wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
kalvano wrote:So wait, some of your Career Services Offices provide info not just on the preferred GPA range of the firm, but on exactly what GPA's got interviews and callbacks?
Not exact GPA's, but top, median, and bottom. It's helpful, to say the least.
Do you know what schools do this so I can mention them in my latest angry email to Illinois career services?
I just know that NU does. Not sure who else.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:09 pm

dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:if i were making data i'd put in some goddamn labels. IP, WE, LR, URM, etc. who the hell know's what's going on at the bottom end of the curve? haven't seen any of the data yet, but our CSO promised to give us last year's data in a week. that's when life gets interesting.
I'm sure if there is enough data to pick out WE and LR. In fact I'm not too convinced LR is that huge of a factor. People say it only helps if you grade on instead of write on. But what is that really saying, that having amazing grades makes you do well? No shit.

I'd try to pull out IP data though. Not just so it doesn't mess with everyone's data, but finding data for ourselves is tough as hell. I don't know where I'm a reach at and where I'm a target.
WE would probably be cake to pull out at NU. it's attached to your application. even if it doesn't always reflect the type of WE people are looking for, it'd be something. as for write on LR, i don't know too many people who wrote on here at UVA, but people speak of it like it's a silver bullet at OGI.
I'm hearing this shit like 4th hand so I'm not claiming any accuracy, and I really don't know what to believe. But the arguments I've heard is that LR + Good grades isn't really better than just good grades. And LR + mediocre/poor grades is only a little better than mediocre/poor.

Though I'd assume each firm is different.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:11 pm

I was told by a person at a firm who works with the hiring people that LR helps make up for average grades, but it won't compensate for bad grades.

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:12 pm

Desert Fox wrote:I'm hearing this shit like 4th hand so I'm not claiming any accuracy, and I really don't know what to believe. But the arguments I've heard is that LR + Good grades isn't really better than just good grades. And LR + mediocre/poor grades is only a little better than mediocre/poor.

I've heard this as well with respect to firms. I think where LR gives a significant boost and can make up for grades to a certain degree is with clerkships. A person at top X% with LR is going to have a hell of a lot better shot at a clerkship than a person at top X% without LR.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:13 pm

Grades in. Missed the top 10% but .01. Fuck you "Legislation," why do we have this dumb class anyway? B.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:15 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
dailygrind wrote:if i were making data i'd put in some goddamn labels. IP, WE, LR, URM, etc. who the hell know's what's going on at the bottom end of the curve? haven't seen any of the data yet, but our CSO promised to give us last year's data in a week. that's when life gets interesting.
I'm sure if there is enough data to pick out WE and LR. In fact I'm not too convinced LR is that huge of a factor. People say it only helps if you grade on instead of write on. But what is that really saying, that having amazing grades makes you do well? No shit.

I'd try to pull out IP data though. Not just so it doesn't mess with everyone's data, but finding data for ourselves is tough as hell. I don't know where I'm a reach at and where I'm a target.
WE would probably be cake to pull out at NU. it's attached to your application. even if it doesn't always reflect the type of WE people are looking for, it'd be something. as for write on LR, i don't know too many people who wrote on here at UVA, but people speak of it like it's a silver bullet at OGI.
I'm hearing this shit like 4th hand so I'm not claiming any accuracy, and I really don't know what to believe. But the arguments I've heard is that LR + Good grades isn't really better than just good grades. And LR + mediocre/poor grades is only a little better than mediocre/poor.

i edited it into my prior post, but LR is at least something a firm could use to sell the associate, and indicative of some high level of writing ability. who knows, though. i only know one dude who wrote on, and one data point is meaningless. fwiw, he got v10 with what are supposedly median grades.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:16 pm

Cupidity wrote:Grades in. Missed the top 10% but .01. Fuck you "Legislation," why do we have this dumb class anyway? B.
My B in property kept me from grading on to law review too. Fuck you outlying grades.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I'm hearing this shit like 4th hand so I'm not claiming any accuracy, and I really don't know what to believe. But the arguments I've heard is that LR + Good grades isn't really better than just good grades. And LR + mediocre/poor grades is only a little better than mediocre/poor.

I've heard this as well with respect to firms. I think where LR gives a significant boost and can make up for grades to a certain degree is with clerkships. A person at top X% with LR is going to have a hell of a lot better shot at a clerkship than a person at top X% without LR.
Yea, I was def only talking about with firms. I've heard it's really important for hard to get clerkships.

Also I'd assume at super high end appellate boutiques it's a huge boost, if not soft requirement.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:17 pm

Cupidity wrote:Grades in. Missed the top 10% but .01. Fuck you "Legislation," why do we have this dumb class anyway? B.
Eh, close enough. I'd still claim to be top 10%.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

yinz

Bronze

Post by yinz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Eh, close enough. I'd still claim to be top 10%.
or top 11%.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Where can we find the cutoffs?

traehekat

Gold

Post by traehekat » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 pm

I am probably in the same boat. I am .04 above the traditional cutoff for top 12.5%. Don't ask why we do 12.5%, btw, cause I have no fucking clue.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:23 pm

All went to hell with one bad grade:

LRW - A
Property - A (I felt good about this test)
Con Law - A - (Shocked at this. Thought the test brutalized me)
Legislation - B+ (Ok, I can understand how this test would be pretty open-ended with the grading)
Crim Law - B (WTF?!! This is why I hate multiple choice. I knew the material cold but couldn't apply it)

Oddly enough, there are my grades in sequential order based on when I took the exam. They went down in a perfectly linear manner. Idk what the rank is, but my guess is somewhere around top 20-25%. Not terrible, but I really thought I could keep it close to top 10%. As upset as I am about the B, I recall the goal I set for myself when I came to law school (since I posted it on my wall and had it there all year long), and that was to be a top 1/4 student. Sure, I dropped from last semester, but it looks like I accomplished what I set out to do. So I think I can still hold my head high over this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JordynAsh

Bronze

Post by JordynAsh » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:32 pm

philosoraptor wrote:
JordynAsh wrote:
romothesavior wrote:Still no grades. Getting REALLY mad, especially since today is supposed to be the deadline and they pushed it back to next week.
Our grade deadline isn't until the 21st, but every other section has at least one grade back. It's also been 73 days since the brief was turned in and no LRW grade. :(
Maybe there could be some administrative problem that caused them to hold grades for our whole section? The fact that neither of our small sections has an LRW grade is particularly suspicious. Do you know if either of the other Section 3 small groups has an LRW grade?
That would be 3C and 3D right? Not as far as I know. I just feel like I can't relax/prep for OCI/enjoy the summer until I know where I stand.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:33 pm

kaiser wrote:All went to hell with one bad grade:

LRW - A
Legislation - B+ (Ok, I can understand how this test would be pretty open-ended with the grading)
Crim Law - B (WTF?!! This is why I hate multiple choice. I knew the material cold but couldn't apply it)

Oddly enough, there are my grades in sequential order based on when I took the exam. They went down in a perfectly linear manner. Idk what the rank is, but my guess is somewhere around top 20-25%. Not terrible, but I really thought I could keep it close to top 10%. As upset as I am about the B, I recall the goal I set for myself when I came to law school (since I posted it on my wall and had it there all year long), and that was to be a top 1/4 student. Sure, I dropped from last semester, but it looks like I accomplished what I set out to do. So I think I can still hold my head high over this.
Cutoffs aren't out yet. They will be here http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/academ ... rs.html#1L once uploaded. That Crim Law exam was a beast. Fucking Harry Potter.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:36 pm

Cupidity wrote:
kaiser wrote:All went to hell with one bad grade:

LRW - A

Cutoffs aren't out yet. They will be here http://www.bu.edu/law/central/jd/academ ... rs.html#1L once uploaded. That Crim Law exam was a beast. Fucking Harry Potter.
I'm not in your section, but yeah, it pretty much ended my hopes of a good spring GPA. I thought con law would be my downfall, but as soon as I saw I got an A-, I was running for joy...until I saw the crim grade. I have no clue what went wrong. I knew that material cold. But when half the test is MC, theres no way for me to show it. A bit confused by the legislation grade as well, but its eclipsed by crim. Though I guess my grades are still good enough to get a number of interviews with the big firms coming. Just so bummed that I couldn't seal the deal.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:42 pm

My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

pleasetryagain

Silver

Post by pleasetryagain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.
well c'mon man.. you know that criminal attorneys deal with complex mens rea issues daily don't you? this shit is important.

Kilpatrick

Silver

Post by Kilpatrick » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:46 pm

Last edited by Kilpatrick on Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:My crim law exam had attempted statutory rape via complicity. It was mother fucking nested mens rea analysis.
Ours had a solicitation of statutory rape with varying levels of knowledge of the age of the girl plus we talked about rape for a total of 20 minutes in class I think.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:47 pm

10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Mens rea as to what?

D-hops

Silver

Post by D-hops » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:49 pm

Cupidity wrote:10% = 3.72
<-- = 3.70

Oh well.
Do you guys preselect where the differential will make a substantive difference?

dart0016

New

Post by dart0016 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:50 pm

Last edited by dart0016 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dart0016

New

Post by dart0016 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 1:52 pm

Last edited by dart0016 on Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”