1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
starchinkilt

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Cupidity wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
Cupidity wrote:All grades coming out at once tomorrow. I wish I got the slow bleed out like you guys. It's going to be like getting kicked in the face.

I dunno, the slow bleed out is like torture. I was on a high from my first two grades that came crashing down with my third. Also, we have no idea when our final grade is even gonna be posted. Ugh.

I just want median. I botched my crim law final something awful. I'm concerned I may end up in bottom 1/3 this semester.

Ugh, I'm waiting on crim too. It was ugly; I'm pretty sure my professor took the fact pattern from an old simpsons episode. It was so bizarre. Hope tomorrow goes well for you!

jsarna1

Postby jsarna1 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:44 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
missinglink wrote:Just heard my holdout professor won't have grades in until next week sometime. Over a week late.

Shoot.

Does your school penalize profs who don't make it in by the deadline?

Does any school?

UT allegedly does.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:48 pm

starchinkilt wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
starchinkilt wrote:
Cupidity wrote:All grades coming out at once tomorrow. I wish I got the slow bleed out like you guys. It's going to be like getting kicked in the face.

I dunno, the slow bleed out is like torture. I was on a high from my first two grades that came crashing down with my third. Also, we have no idea when our final grade is even gonna be posted. Ugh.

I just want median. I botched my crim law final something awful. I'm concerned I may end up in bottom 1/3 this semester.

Ugh, I'm waiting on crim too. It was ugly; I'm pretty sure my professor took the fact pattern from an old simpsons episode. It was so bizarre. Hope tomorrow goes well for you!

50% multiple choice, I always bomb MC, I did last semester in torts. He gave us percentile breakdowns for the MC for our information, I got bottom 20% on MC, but got some of the highest grades on writing and averaged out above the curve. There was 1 crim law issue spotter worth 40% of the exam. . . I didn't realize that the woman who was shot survived in it. So instead of talking about assault and attempted murder, I talked about Murder and manslaughter.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Cupidity wrote:50% multiple choice, I always bomb MC, I did last semester in torts. He gave us percentile breakdowns for the MC for our information, I got bottom 20% on MC, but got some of the highest grades on writing and averaged out above the curve. There was 1 crim law issue spotter worth 40% of the exam. . . I didn't realize that the woman who was shot survived in it. So instead of talking about assault and attempted murder, I talked about Murder and manslaughter.

After a 100% MC exam last semester, I'm a firm believer that a law school exam should never have any MC.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:52 pm

Multiple choice tests can be great if your civ pro prof basically rewords things straight from the Glannon Guide and you read it cover to cover the day before the exam...

Just to use a random hypo completely unrelated to my life, of course.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:53 pm

MC is the only reason I got a good grade in Civ Pro. I am actually a huge fan of MC.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Multiple choice tests can be great if your civ pro prof basically rewords things straight from the Glannon Guide and you read it cover to cover the day before the exam...

:shock: Did anyone else in your section realize this/do this?

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:55 pm

I <3 open ended issue spotters, regardless of what the advice says, people don't seem to realize that grade=word-count. I just type and type and type and type, and it produced solid grades.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:58 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
missinglink wrote:Just heard my holdout professor won't have grades in until next week sometime. Over a week late.

Shoot.

Does any school?

I'm about 95% certain that Michigan imposes a monetary fine, which increases every day late, on any professor who doesn't hand them in on time.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am

starchinkilt wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Multiple choice tests can be great if your civ pro prof basically rewords things straight from the Glannon Guide and you read it cover to cover the day before the exam...

:shock: Did anyone else in your section realize this/do this?

I'm sure a lot of them did, we knew all semester that our exam was going to be half multiple choice, and I was told by several 2Ls that I should read it the weekend before. It would be silly NOT to use it.

Our exam was also open-everything, so I brought the Glannon Guide with my to my exam and even referenced it a few times.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:15 am

Cupidity wrote:I <3 open ended issue spotters, regardless of what the advice says, people don't seem to realize that grade=word-count. I just type and type and type and type, and it produced solid grades.
So fucking credited. Hell with all of this word limit/take home bullshit. Lock me in a room with the beast and give me 3 hours and I'll set the damn curve. I'm woefully close to average otherwise :cry:

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:22 am

stratocophic wrote:
Cupidity wrote:I <3 open ended issue spotters, regardless of what the advice says, people don't seem to realize that grade=word-count. I just type and type and type and type, and it produced solid grades.
So fucking credited. Hell with all of this word limit/take home bullshit. Lock me in a room with the beast and give me 3 hours and I'll set the damn curve. I'm woefully close to average otherwise :cry:

I'm the opposite, at least this semester. Word limits really force you to not do the info dump.

I was kind of rushed otherwise on the non- word limit exams.

And I love multiple choice. :mrgreen:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:23 am

I definitely prefer these types of exams, but I totally disagree that grade = word count. Some people are more concise than others, and just vomiting up an outline doesn't produce good reasoning or analysis.

Although, as I learned in Property, a really hard exam where everyone is super crunched for time can get you an okay grade even if you know absolutely nothing about the topic.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 am

dailygrind wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:Anyone know what a 3.8ish would be at Minnesota? (Minnesota only releases quartiles). Does that give a chance at biglaw in this economy in both Minnesota and beyond?

tell us what the mean and the 75th quartile are, and i/someone else can tell you what a 3.8 is.

I think top 10% at UT should be around 3.8 (hard to know for sure since no ranks given). With a 50% of 3.35 and top 25% of 3.62, does that seem accurate?

gators88

Postby gators88 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:12 am

Helmholtz wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:

Shoot.

Does any school?

I'm about 95% certain that Michigan imposes a monetary fine, which increases every day late, on any professor who doesn't hand them in on time.

GULC does, but I believe its 100 dollars a day after three days of delinquency. I imagine fat-cat law profs laugh at a fine of that nature.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:03 am

Just got our first OCI list. We have about 20 big firms coming for our first week, hot damn. Getting excited.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:05 am

Holly Golightly wrote:

I definitely prefer these types of exams, but I totally disagree that grade = word count. Some people are more concise than others, and just vomiting up an outline doesn't produce good reasoning or analysis.

This. Rarely typed the entire time and did well.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:21 am

dailygrind wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
dusk2k2 wrote:Anyone know what a 3.8ish would be at Minnesota? (Minnesota only releases quartiles). Does that give a chance at biglaw in this economy in both Minnesota and beyond?

tell us what the mean and the 75th quartile are, and i/someone else can tell you what a 3.8 is.

Based on class of 2012's stats. 50th percentile was 3.267. 75th percentile was 3.547. Number 1 was apparently 4.080. I'm not too good with math, but based on other schools, our grades seem pretty inflated. First year courses require a class avg between 3.0 and 3.3 (which means every class is close to 3.3 avg.

3.8 is slightly inside of top 10%. i gotta guess this puts you in a great spot for biglaw.

I agree with slightly inside 10%, assuming the median stays the same. The standard deviation will drop between semesters unless grades are perfectly correlated or not correlated at all.

Anybody want to take a stab at what my school's grade-on cutoff will be? Median of about a 3.26*, 171 students, last semester there were 27 students on Dean's List (a 3.6). Top 15 students grade on.

I'm guess around a 3.73-3.75. Anybody else?

*Last semester was a 3.226, but this semester will probably be closer to a 3.3, leading to my 3.26 answer.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:33 am

bjsesq wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:

This. Rarely typed the entire time and did well.

I agree. I consistently come in below where my friends are, and I generally do as well or better. I've seen a couple of rubrics, and the professors give most of their points for analysis, not for spotting the issue or outline dumping.

However, if there is a word limit, I'm always sure to hit it. I like to give the impression of, "I had so much more to say, but you really hampered my arguments with this word limit."

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:57 am

stratocophic wrote:

+1
I own those three hour in-class monsters. I think I just do better under the time crunch.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:01 pm

Still no grades. Getting REALLY mad, especially since today is supposed to be the deadline and they pushed it back to next week.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:08 pm

Grades come out for me in the next few hours. Im literally shaking.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:10 pm

romothesavior wrote:Still no grades. Getting REALLY mad, especially since today is supposed to be the deadline and they pushed it back to next week.

Wait, they've told you when you're supposed to get them? That's a step ahead of us. We've heard that today is supposed to be the day, but no one at the school has bothered to tell us anything.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:12 pm

beach_terror wrote:Just got our first OCI list. We have about 20 big firms coming for our first week, hot damn. Getting excited.

Illinois career services can't be bothered to provide us with our OCI lists prior to the beginning of the bidding period. I'm bitter about it because it's clear they know who is coming: I've talked to people I know at a few places who have told me when their firm is coming to our OCI....but for some reason career services doesn't find it important enough to give us a list.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 pm

blurbz wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Just got our first OCI list. We have about 20 big firms coming for our first week, hot damn. Getting excited.

Illinois career services can't be bothered to provide us with our OCI lists prior to the beginning of the bidding period. I'm bitter about it because it's clear they know who is coming: I've talked to people I know at a few places who have told me when their firm is coming to our OCI....but for some reason career services doesn't find it important enough to give us a list.

Every time I hear comment on your career services office, it is invariably negative. I'm sorry you folks got stuck with such fuckwads. You deserve better.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”