1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NotCreative

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby NotCreative » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Cupidity wrote:No grades yet for BU. FML. They don't want us to be able to transfer. That's my theory.

Truth.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:01 pm

Cupidity wrote:No grades yet for BU. FML.

That sucks :? hope you get them soon!

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:05 pm

FantasticMrFox wrote:

No date. Word on the street is the 18th. No way to transfer. Can't drop hundreds on apps without knowing the odds.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:06 pm

Cupidity wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:

No date. Word on the street is the 18th. No way to transfer. Can't drop hundreds on apps without knowing the odds.

Unless you had exams last week, that's pretty ridiculous.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:11 pm

Helmholtz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:

Finished our last exam 3 weeks ago. We finished our graded LRW about 2 months ago, I knew my grade in that class before may because my instructor told me. They release all grades at once.

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Cupidity wrote:
Helmholtz wrote:
Cupidity wrote:
FantasticMrFox wrote:That sucks :? hope you get them soon!

Finished our last exam 3 weeks ago. We finished our graded LRW about 2 months ago, I knew my grade in that class before may because my instructor told me. They release all grades at once.

Same, grades here aren't due until the 15th, and class rank isn't calculated/released until the 17th. Let's just say I'm gonna be on the registrars ass on the 17th calling about sending out transcripts.

Kiersten1985

Postby Kiersten1985 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:22 pm

Cupidity wrote:Finished our last exam 3 weeks ago. We finished our graded LRW about 2 months ago, I knew my grade in that class before may because my instructor told me. They release all grades at once.

Registrar told both me and another person they'll be released Friday 6/10. Hang in there.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:48 pm

How's this for anti- transfer? The registrar told me official rankings won't be out until mid-July.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:49 pm

missinglink wrote:How's this for anti- transfer? The registrar told me official rankings won't be out until mid-July.

don't you have a decent idea from previous years anyway?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:55 pm

Yeah. I have a decent idea, but published data only goes to top 15%. I don't know if what I've otherwise discovered from non- published sources will be good enough for admissions committees.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:57 pm

missinglink wrote:Yeah. I have a decent idea, but published data only goes to top 15%. I don't know if what I've otherwise discovered from non- published sources will be good enough for admissions committees.

If they've taken transfers from your school before, they should have an idea, at least somewhat.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am

Kiersten1985 wrote:
Cupidity wrote:Finished our last exam 3 weeks ago. We finished our graded LRW about 2 months ago, I knew my grade in that class before may because my instructor told me. They release all grades at once.

Registrar told both me and another person they'll be released Friday 6/10. Hang in there.

So I can stop refreshing it every six and a half minutes? I just need to know whether I got a D or a C in Crim.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 am

missinglink wrote:Yeah. I have a decent idea, but published data only goes to top 15%. I don't know if what I've otherwise discovered from non- published sources will be good enough for admissions committees.

if you know what the mean is, and what the top 15% is, someone here can estimate what percentile your grade puts you in. if you want to keep some degree of anonymity about your grades, you could even give like 3 different grades, and someone could calculate all 3.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:47 am

rad law wrote:

If they've taken transfers from your school before, they should have an idea, at least somewhat.

Good point.

If anyone wants to calculate rank, I'll post some numbers. I'm terrible at math so it's all voodoo magic to me. :)

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 am

dailygrind wrote: if you want to keep some degree of anonymity about your grades, you could even give like 3 different grades, and someone could calculate all 3.

As somebody who has done this math for dozens of people of the past year, I shake my fist at you, but also think that's pretty clever and give you a healthy nod. Both at the same time.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:11 am

missinglink wrote: If anyone wants to calculate rank, I'll post some numbers. I'm terrible at math so it's all voodoo magic to me. :)

i'll do it.

thesealocust wrote:
dailygrind wrote: if you want to keep some degree of anonymity about your grades, you could even give like 3 different grades, and someone could calculate all 3.

As somebody who has done this math for dozens of people of the past year, I shake my fist at you, but also think that's pretty clever and give you a healthy nod. Both at the same time.

i'll take it.

Rock Chalk

Postby Rock Chalk » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:24 am

Last edited by Rock Chalk on Thu May 24, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:20 am

Rock Chalk wrote:
romothesavior wrote:My frustration with the grade waiting game is reaching its boiling point. The word is that a couple of my profs just went on vacation without turning in grades. It has been 6 weeks since finals and we still have zero of our core grades. Our LP professor finally got our open brief back to us after like 7-8 weeks of waiting. What makes it so hard for a professor with nothing else to do to grade 1-2 essays a day over a 6 week span? How is that even acceptable?

Like, hey... I know you worked oh-so-hard for the last 8-9 months teaching one or two classes and supervising some 2L RA that helped you do research for some law review article, so why don't you go ahead and just take a few weeks of vacation before you do those grades and then get 2-3 months off for more vacation? You've really earned it.

I don't even have LP back, so imagine my frustration. To make things worse, some Civ Pro professors had 1/2 the students and still haven't gotten grades back. You'd think 1/2 the students would mean 1/2 the time...

I don't like to throw around words like "inadequate," but...
We don't have LP back either - just the open brief grade. It's getting ridiculous. I suppose my section's lucky because our Con professor got the grade in, but that's the grade I didn't want to see :| Better than I thought it'd be, at least.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:16 am

Got all my grades back a couple days ago. Did a little better on some stuff than I thought, a little worse on others. I'm gonna be around top 25-30% of the class, just good enough to have a sliver of false hope for OCI. Phooey.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:20 am

hey, if you're good enough to get into the room, who knows, right? good luck, man.

FireNextTime

Postby FireNextTime » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Last grade in. B+ in elective.

I'm pretty disappointed in that one. But it was the class I put least work into, so maybe I should quit bitching.

Overall, I pulled a 3.85 for the semester. That's a big jump from last semester. So, there's that to keep me happy. Also, I'm probably looking at ~top 5%. But if Professor Holdout's B+ keeps me from Thurston Society - the top 5% in 1L - well, let's just say that I will haunt him all of his days.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Rock Chalk wrote:I don't like to throw around words like "inadequate," but...

I'll say it for you. It's inadequate.

autoding

Postby autoding » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:59 pm

missinglink wrote:
rad law wrote:

Good point.

If anyone wants to calculate rank, I'll post some numbers. I'm terrible at math so it's all voodoo magic to me. :)

Can someone calculate what the probable top 5%/top 10%/top 25% cutoffs would be at a school that changed its curve halfway through the year? :?

For the fall, I believe it was curved to a 2.89, spring was around 3.2?

Fall Grade Distribution:
A- and above: 10 to 20%
B+ and above: 25 to 35%
B and above: 40 to 50%
C+ and above: 75 to 85%
C and below: 15 to 25%
C- and below: 5 to 15%
D+ and below: 0 to 10%

Spring Grade Distribution:
A- and above: 15 to 25%
B+ and above: 40 to 50%
B and above: 70 to 80%
C+ and above: 85 to 95%
C and below 5 to 15%
C- and below 0 to 10%

I know that in the past, top 10% was around 3.4, and top 25% was around 3.2. I assume that the higher curve for spring will mostly just bunch everyone together more?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:28 pm

FireNextTime wrote:Last grade in. B+ in elective.

I'm pretty disappointed in that one. But it was the class I put least work into, so maybe I should quit bitching.

Overall, I pulled a 3.85 for the semester. That's a big jump from last semester. So, there's that to keep me happy. Also, I'm probably looking at ~top 5%. But if Professor Holdout's B+ keeps me from Thurston Society - the top 5% in 1L - well, let's just say that I will haunt him all of his days.

That's how I feel about ConLawl :lol:.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:35 pm

Last edited by dusk2k2 on Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”