1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
D-hops

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:23 pm

dailygrind wrote:
plum wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
bjsesq wrote:That's actually pretty true at NU, as well. There are a couple median on both kids who are just crushing shit, though.

if you're at both medians you're probably one of the most numerically accomplished students in your section. in terms of probability, you're more likely to be crushing shit than almost anyone else.

Unless you were in a writing heavy major I think ugrad gpa is pretty irrelevant to exam performance, but high lsat does matter it shows you have a refined sense of logic and are fast, both good for application under time pressure. Plenty of splitters slacked off in college not knowing what they were doing with thei life career plans at that point the motivation for getting straight As is not much, whereas they got 172+ on the lsat and are crushing it in LS. Sorry for bad grammar, typing from phone.

lol, i would've actually used a different analysis and said that if you had a high GPA in a non-writing major, e.g. engineering, math, etc., ie one of the majors that doesn't suffer from severe grade inflation, a high GPA is a representation of ridiculous work ethic. anyway, the stats show that ugpa is correlated to 1L performance, but worse than the lsat. agreed that the traditional splitters are likely to do better than the reverse splitters, though (not that reverse splitters can't dominate - i'm pretty sure one of the most dominant doods in my section is a reverse splitter).

I think one of the factors behind the reverse splitter that do well is that they might not have had the time or patience to study for / retake the LSAT. Not that I am speaking from personal experience or anything.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:29 pm

D-hops wrote:I think one of the factors behind the reverse splitter that do well is that they might not have had the time or patience to study for / retake the LSAT. Not that I am speaking from personal experience or anything.

Law school is your bitch.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:31 pm

D-hops wrote:I think one of the factors behind the reverse splitter that do well is that they might not have had the time or patience to study for / retake the LSAT. Not that I am speaking from personal experience or anything.

very probable. you'd think they'd still want to retake the lsat just so they could get a higher acceptance/scholly money, but once you're in at a t14, a lot of the pressure's probably diminished.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:

very probable. you'd think they'd still want to retake the lsat just so they could get a higher acceptance/scholly money, but once you're in at a t14, a lot of the pressure's probably diminished.

Waiting for D-Hops to get Bartlit Beck, or some crazy shit like that. Just wait.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:33 pm

I know splitters at the top, the bottom and the middle. I know reverse splitters at the top the bottom and the middle. I just don't see much correlation.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:39 pm

dailygrind wrote:

Some people don't find out about TLS until very late in the admissions process, or ever for that matter.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:41 pm

D-hops wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Some people don't find out about TLS until very late in the admissions process, or ever for that matter.

fair 'nuff.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:49 pm

I'm going to do an interpretive dance to this song--perfectly describes my GPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqT6En2O78

edit: on a related note, anyone have advice/ideas for how to deal with a worse second semester GPA?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:47 pm

Regardless of grades, splitters are obviously the coolest.

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 07, 2011 5:54 pm

Omerta wrote:I'm going to do an interpretive dance to this song--perfectly describes my GPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5gqT6En2O78

edit: on a related note, anyone have advice/ideas for how to deal with a worse second semester GPA?
That song's been in my head since finals ended, and in that very context. I've been waiting till I had more than 1 grade back to make such a poast, but I'm glad someone beat me to it.
Holly Golightly wrote:Regardless of grades, splitters are obviously the coolest.
MFCR

solotee

Postby solotee » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:21 pm

My last grade will determine whether I'm in the top 10% or not. Anything less than an A, and I'm out of the top 10%.

It's also the exam my computer crashed on :/

This wait is a bitch.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:22 pm

solotee wrote:My last grade will determine whether I'm in the top 10% or not. Anything less than an A, and I'm out of the top 10%.

This wait is a bitch.

:( good luck! Hope its that A

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:25 pm

In a terrible tease, my last grade was due yesterday. I got a text message update this afternoon, rushed home, only to find my Pass/Fail LRW grade posted.

http://www.sadtrombone.com

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:36 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Regardless of grades, splitters are obviously the coolest.

Yup :D.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:43 pm

Baylan wrote:In a terrible tease, my last grade was due yesterday. I got a text message update this afternoon, rushed home, only to find my Pass/Fail LRW grade posted.

At least it was a P :D

Baylan

Postby Baylan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:17 pm

beach_terror wrote:
Baylan wrote:In a terrible tease, my last grade was due yesterday. I got a text message update this afternoon, rushed home, only to find my Pass/Fail LRW grade posted.

At least it was a P :D

Who said it was a P?

There was a sadtrombone for a reason.

/sarcasm

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:21 pm

solotee wrote:My last grade will determine whether I'm in the top 10% or not. Anything less than an A, and I'm out of the top 10%.

This wait is a bitch.

You and me both, although I only need an A-.

Good luck!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:23 pm

90% sure grades are going to be released this week. I am terrified. I can at least be happy I know I'm guaranteed at least one A- (although its probably an A) - the others, who fucking knows.

Triangles

Postby Triangles » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:29 pm

Triangles wrote:Official end of 1L predictions:

Writing- B, same as last semester
Contracts II, B+, I got an A- in Contracts I and though this exam was harder
Con Law- B+, thought it went well, but I didn't name any cases
Crim Law- B-, this is being generous, I only wrote about 1k words per hour and then ran out of time
Torts, A+ or a B-, nothing in-between. It was open book and I think I did well, but I used a lot of outside information he never discussed in class for one of the questions, either he will think its the best fucking answer ever, or get pissed at me.

If these numbers are right, I'll be way below median (unless I got that A+) and lose my scholarship, so here is to hoping I am delusional.

Well, I'm going to keep my scholarship! My GPA actually went up a smidge this semester, after not buying any of the casebooks or outlining or taking notes in class. Lesson I learned- I am a terrible judge of my own performance.

Writing- B
Contracts II- B+
Con Law- A-
Crim Law- A (wtf!!!! 8) )
Torts- B. Fuck a torts, my exam was tight as shit. This motherfcuker is just not on my level.

uwb09

Postby uwb09 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:41 pm

LRAW grade in, below median. GPA has officially gone from top 10-15%, to 30-40%. My top 25% goal hangs on my Civ Pro and Property grades.... fuuuuuuuuu, where's the tequilla

someone tell me that I haven't made myself completely unemployable, tell me it'll be ok

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:43 pm

uwb09 wrote:LRAW grade in, below median. GPA has officially gone from top 10-15%, to 30-40%. My top 25% goal hangs on my Civ Pro and Property grades.... fuuuuuuuuu, where's the tequilla

someone tell me that I haven't made myself completely unemployable, tell me it'll be ok

If you make top 25, we can be top 25 butt buddies.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:03 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Sounds like you jinxed yourself.

PROTIP: Most people in your class are just as smart as you are.

Some. Not all. I'm more of a believer in this:
Kilpatrick wrote:I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:15 pm

Property, 90
CivPro, 81 (median)
Still waiting on k and con, scared I won't be able to transfer now (T4). Median is 2.5-2.7, I'm at a 3.2 with last semesters 2 B pluses.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:26 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:Property, 90
CivPro, 81 (median)
Still waiting on k and con, scared I won't be able to transfer now (T4). Median is 2.5-2.7, I'm at a 3.2 with last semesters 2 B pluses.

Damn dude, that's a low median. What's a 3.2 percentage-wise?

plum

Postby plum » Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:31 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.

wow not sure what school this guy goes to but i often feel like the dumbest person at my school.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”