1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
MBZags

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby MBZags » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:22 am

iceskater1620 wrote:
MBZags wrote:I CALI'd Con Lawl; I'm honestly shocked but obviously elated. I bitched and moaned about the class all semester because our professor turned it into a psuedo-philosophy class (none of which was actually on the final). I, by far, disliked that class more than any other class. I checked my grade about five times today to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Curve ftw?

Congrats on the Cali! Also, I am glad someone else noticed he didn't put even one philosophy question on the multiple choice despite discussing it non-stop and never discussing actual caselaw.

Thanks! Haha, I think I threw some philosophical junk into that second essay question because I got to a point where I didn't know what else to write.

Also, thanks blurbz! Congrats on your achievements as well.

dudders

Postby dudders » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:46 am

Ugggh now I just wait to find out about journal. Probably got screwed out of anything. GW only lets you know if you're in 1-15% or 15-35% (or nothing). I probably around 40%. Most likely journal-doomed.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:01 am

dudders wrote:Ugggh now I just wait to find out about journal. Probably got screwed out of anything. GW only lets you know if you're in 1-15% or 15-35% (or nothing). I probably around 40%. Most likely journal-doomed.

Yup, I have gone from thinking I failed at finals to thinking I failed at write-on. Back to the waiting game...

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:46 am

welp, my GPA has dropped tremendously. does anyone know what median at NYU is (estimated)?

BenJ

Postby BenJ » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:41 am

humdrum wrote:welp, my GPA has dropped tremendously. does anyone know what median at NYU is (estimated)?

Somewhere between 3.30 and 3.33.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:05 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Well, law school killed me. 3.37, when Dean's list is a 3.4.

B+ - Con law
B+ - Property
A- - Civ Pro
B+ - Writing
B - IP. And this stupid two credit class is the reason I'm not on Deans list. Granted, two of my other friends that were ranked above me dropped to my grades or below (one girl went from a 3.6 to a 3.0 - I'd cry, and my roomie got a 2.8 so needless to say she's upset. But, I'm still fairly pissed. I just feel dumb. Particularly because I'm hanging with all the smart kids this summer, and now I can't even share stories about being on Dean's list. And I feel like i"m never getting a job ever. And random ass people who I use to make myself feel better about my intelligence did well this semester. SDLKJFL:SDJFLJKDSF. I better fucking make a journal so I'm not a complete failure at life. Or at least keep a decent rank in like the top 30% - but probably not. Ugh. I can't believe I let myself fail like that. IP wasn't my fault, since the whole thing was a guessing game, but, I should have gotten an A- in either Con law or property. I thought I did. Ironically, I didn't even know joinder and that was my best grade.

Sounds like you jinxed yourself.

PROTIP: Most people in your class are just as smart as you are.

mths

Postby mths » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:09 am

Desert Fox wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Well, law school killed me. 3.37, when Dean's list is a 3.4.

B+ - Con law
B+ - Property
A- - Civ Pro
B+ - Writing
B - IP. And this stupid two credit class is the reason I'm not on Deans list. Granted, two of my other friends that were ranked above me dropped to my grades or below (one girl went from a 3.6 to a 3.0 - I'd cry, and my roomie got a 2.8 so needless to say she's upset. But, I'm still fairly pissed. I just feel dumb. Particularly because I'm hanging with all the smart kids this summer, and now I can't even share stories about being on Dean's list. And I feel like i"m never getting a job ever. And random ass people who I use to make myself feel better about my intelligence did well this semester. SDLKJFL:SDJFLJKDSF. I better fucking make a journal so I'm not a complete failure at life. Or at least keep a decent rank in like the top 30% - but probably not. Ugh. I can't believe I let myself fail like that. IP wasn't my fault, since the whole thing was a guessing game, but, I should have gotten an A- in either Con law or property. I thought I did. Ironically, I didn't even know joinder and that was my best grade.

Sounds like you jinxed yourself.

PROTIP: Most people in your class are just as smart as you are.

:lol:

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:11 am

Desert Fox wrote:PROTIP: Most people in your class are just as smart as you are.

Question: do you think those of us who know this are better or worse off?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:15 am

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:PROTIP: Most people in your class are just as smart as you are.

Better. It would feel awful looking at your classmates and thinking that they some lesser people.

Hell, I think my classmates are better than me. They certainly will make better lawyers since I'm a lazy piece of shit.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:23 am

Desert Fox wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Better. It would feel awful looking at your classmates and thinking that they some lesser people.

Hell, I think my classmates are better than me. They certainly will make better lawyers since I'm a lazy piece of shit.

I think my sectionmates are much more intelligent than I am. Full stop. Most of the shit I wrote down on exams was ripped off from every one else. I haven't had an original thought in a long fucking time.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:24 am

I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am

Kilpatrick wrote:I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.

I've met one or two like that here. Out of 260. Most here are really goddamn bright.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:26 am

Kilpatrick wrote:I kind of think the whole 'everybody in your class is smart' thing is a myth. There are people at my school that I am legitimately shocked graduated from high school.

With the way Illinois admits splitters they might not have.

Chupavida

Postby Chupavida » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:36 am

Last edited by Chupavida on Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:37 am

Chupavida wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah, but the splitters get the As 8)

That's actually pretty true at NU, as well. There are a couple median on both kids who are just crushing shit, though.

itsirtou

Postby itsirtou » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

Still don't have any grades. Agh I want them all right now so I can get it over with.

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:41 am

bjsesq wrote:
Chupavida wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:

Yeah, but the splitters get the As 8)

That's actually pretty true at NU, as well. There are a couple median on both kids who are just crushing shit, though.

I don't really see a whole lot of correlation.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:42 am

Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see a whole lot of correlation.

The splitters seemed to perform better in my section. I say this as one of the non-splitters.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:49 am

bjsesq wrote:That's actually pretty true at NU, as well. There are a couple median on both kids who are just crushing shit, though.

if you're at both medians you're probably one of the most numerically accomplished students in your section. in terms of probability, you're more likely to be crushing shit than almost anyone else.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:51 am

dailygrind wrote:
bjsesq wrote:That's actually pretty true at NU, as well. There are a couple median on both kids who are just crushing shit, though.

if you're at both medians you're probably one of the most numerically accomplished students in your section. in terms of probability, you're more likely to be crushing shit than almost anyone else.

Well, that makes me feel a lot worse about my situation. Thanks, DG. Wanna talk about my dead relatives for a bit?

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:56 am

whoops. RIP.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Tue Jun 07, 2011 11:57 am

I want my last fucking grade damnit

plum

Postby plum » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:12 pm

dailygrind wrote:

Unless you were in a writing heavy major I think ugrad gpa is pretty irrelevant to exam performance, but high lsat does matter it shows you have a refined sense of logic and are fast, both good for application under time pressure. Plenty of splitters slacked off in college not knowing what they were doing with thei life career plans at that point the motivation for getting straight As is not much, whereas they got 172+ on the lsat and are crushing it in LS. Sorry for bad grammar, typing from phone.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:19 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:I don't really see a whole lot of correlation.

The splitters seemed to perform better in my section. I say this as one of the non-splitters.

Reverse splitters are the best d00d.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:20 pm

plum wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Unless you were in a writing heavy major I think ugrad gpa is pretty irrelevant to exam performance, but high lsat does matter it shows you have a refined sense of logic and are fast, both good for application under time pressure. Plenty of splitters slacked off in college not knowing what they were doing with thei life career plans at that point the motivation for getting straight As is not much, whereas they got 172+ on the lsat and are crushing it in LS. Sorry for bad grammar, typing from phone.

lol, i would've actually used a different analysis and said that if you had a high GPA in a non-writing major, e.g. engineering, math, etc., ie one of the majors that doesn't suffer from severe grade inflation, a high GPA is a representation of ridiculous work ethic. anyway, the stats show that ugpa is correlated to 1L performance, but worse than the lsat. agreed that the traditional splitters are likely to do better than the reverse splitters, though (not that reverse splitters can't dominate - i'm pretty sure one of the most dominant doods in my section is a reverse splitter).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”