1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BarbellDreams

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:00 pm

I think Pitt sits at 11% right now down from 14% a couple of years back. I honestly, at least based on talking with 3L's, feel that its more like 5-7% though.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:06 pm

beach_terror wrote:Fellow T2ers, what's your NLJ250 placement just out of curiosity? 12% here according to the most recent data (down from 16.7%).

same

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:24 pm

Jesus Christ you overachievers. Multiple A's per semester would have been awesome to me, yet u ppl are bitching. If yall are screwed, I might as well go jump off spaghetti junction.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:36 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
keg411 wrote:ConLawl fucked me a bit, but not as bad as it could have (up until that damn last grade, my GPA actually went up this past semester :shock: ). While I'm disappointed, I guess it's hard to complain about a .02 drop when it could have been a lot worse and when I pretty much "won" at 1L, considering I go to a T2 and pretty much needed to be where I am to at least have a shot at a T14/BigLawl.

You Xfering or doing OCI where you stand?

Sending Xfer apps. Otherwise doing OCI at my school. Mass mailing in July either way. I'm debt averse and <333 my friends at my school. But the same, I want a job. I'll be sending an app to NU, so maybe I'll end up joining the BP degenerates :lol:.

rbgrocio

Postby rbgrocio » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:37 pm

missinglink wrote:I should have just half-assed the reading and used someone else's outline like last time, because whatever I did this time didn't work. Or I got incredibly unlikely. It's hard to say.

Still waiting on the last class. Depending on what it is, I either stay in the top 10% or drop out of the top 10%. If it's the latter, and I mean this with all seriousness, I will consider cutting my losses. That's how low my level of confidence is that I'll be able to find employment even hovering around that number.

OMG! and u are considering dropping out because u might drop out of 10%? Please.... IT IS NOT THAT BIG OF A DEAL!!!

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:39 pm

dailygrind wrote:congrats. shining beacon to the rest of us.

Thanks dg :).

B-T: our biglawl/midlawl placement is probably around 10%. Maybe less recently. Couldn't get an official number, but CSO claims top 15% is competitive for OCI; though I'm thinking it's way less than that.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:52 pm

I might be overreacting somewhat (or a lot). But a lot of doors are now closed, and that's frustrating. It's even more frustrating because I just got the exam memo for the class that I got a B in, and I can't distinguish what were considered the issues to hit and how to discuss them from what I put down in my exam answer.

And the reality is I'll probably strike out at OCI now. Plenty of people with a higher GPA have fared poorly, so I don't see what'll be different. My career office has no data on how people fare, and what they publish publicly is unrealistically optimistic.

I would also imagine my overall GPA and rank is tempered by what objectively looks like a downward trend.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:55 pm

missinglink wrote:I might be overreacting somewhat (or a lot). But a lot of doors are now closed, and that's frustrating. It's even more frustrating because I just got the exam memo for the class that I got a B in, and I can't distinguish what were considered the issues to hit and how to discuss them from what I put down in my exam answer.

And the reality is I'll probably strike out at OCI now. Plenty of people with a higher GPA have fared poorly, so I don't see what'll be different. My career office has no data on how people fare, and what they publish publicly is unrealistically optimistic.

I would also imagine my overall GPA and rank is tempered by what objectively looks like a downward trend.

Figure out a bidding strategy. Honestly man, the world isn't big law or bust. Look at boutique firms that do interesting shit, typically they care less about grades and more about genuine interest in their work. I mean, I almost landed a SA gig with an extremely prestigious boutique in my market with top 25% grades after first semester and they pay biglaw salary for this market. There are great jobs out there, you just have to hustle and search for them.

Keep your head up, you still did fucking great man.
Last edited by beach_terror on Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

iceskater1620

Postby iceskater1620 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 8:58 pm

MBZags wrote:I CALI'd Con Lawl; I'm honestly shocked but obviously elated. I bitched and moaned about the class all semester because our professor turned it into a psuedo-philosophy class (none of which was actually on the final). I, by far, disliked that class more than any other class. I checked my grade about five times today to make sure it wasn't a mistake. Curve ftw?

Congrats on the Cali! Also, I am glad someone else noticed he didn't put even one philosophy question on the multiple choice despite discussing it non-stop and never discussing actual caselaw.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:04 pm

beach_terror wrote:
missinglink wrote:I might be overreacting somewhat (or a lot). But a lot of doors are now closed, and that's frustrating. It's even more frustrating because I just got the exam memo for the class that I got a B in, and I can't distinguish what were considered the issues to hit and how to discuss them from what I put down in my exam answer.

Figure out a bidding strategy. Honestly man, the world isn't big law or bust. Look at boutique firms that do interesting shit, typically they care less about grades and more about genuine interest in their work. I mean, I almost landed a SA gig with an extremely prestigious boutique in my market with top 25% grades after first semester and they pay biglaw salary for this market. There are great jobs out there, you just have to hustle and search for them.

Keep your head up, you still did fucking great man.

+1

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:08 pm

well it's true that at top 10% you won't have as many (read: ALL) doors open to you, but you aren't bust brother

besides, don't you still have one more grade to get?

now, grow a sack and persevere :)

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:24 pm

One more grade to go. Although considering the trend, I'm not confident.

I wonder if Law Review is out of the question? I certainly can't grade on anymore, but only three slots per section were allotted to that anyways. Sixteen more seats are allotted to some composite of GPA and writing competition score. It's not all to clear if those are weighted equally, or what.

I'll be less melodramatic from now on. :lol:

It's just hard not to be all doom-and-gloom with the stories you hear. I'll be doing a serious post-mortem once I get the subpar tests back and see what happened. Time to really step on the gas the next two years, if OCI doesn't work out.

Bustang

Postby Bustang » Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:59 pm

Found out I achieved top 25% today. Sucks that bombing one class can do that much damage. However, I'm happy with my body of work and I'll move forward and make the very best of what I have.

I'm pretty happy, actually.

Edit: For those that care- I attend a strong T2 in a good (all things considered) market. If you really want to know where I'm at, look through my post history- i'm not very discrete.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:48 pm

missinglink wrote:One more grade to go. Although considering the trend, I'm not confident.

I wonder if Law Review is out of the question? I certainly can't grade on anymore, but only three slots per section were allotted to that anyways. Sixteen more seats are allotted to some composite of GPA and writing competition score. It's not all to clear if those are weighted equally, or what.

I'll be less melodramatic from now on. :lol:

It's just hard not to be all doom-and-gloom with the stories you hear. I'll be doing a serious post-mortem once I get the subpar tests back and see what happened. Time to really step on the gas the next two years, if OCI doesn't work out.

ok wtf man. Essentially 85% of the seats are still open and you'll still have better grades than the vast majority of applicants. Unless you completely tank the write-on, then you still have more than a decent shot. There's nothing wrong with being upset about your grades going down (I know I am), but you're acting as if you just lost any worth you had as a human being because you got a couple B's and B+'s. Chill.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:52 pm

Omerta wrote:There's nothing wrong with being upset about your grades going down (I know I am), but you're acting as if you just lost any worth you had as a human being because you got a couple B's and B+'s. Chill.

Fucking seriously. You're grades aren't a reflection on you as a person.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:03 pm

Well, law school killed me. 3.37, when Dean's list is a 3.4.

B+ - Con law
B+ - Property
A- - Civ Pro
B+ - Writing
B - IP. And this stupid two credit class is the reason I'm not on Deans list. Granted, two of my other friends that were ranked above me dropped to my grades or below (one girl went from a 3.6 to a 3.0 - I'd cry, and my roomie got a 2.8 so needless to say she's upset. But, I'm still fairly pissed. I just feel dumb. Particularly because I'm hanging with all the smart kids this summer, and now I can't even share stories about being on Dean's list. And I feel like i"m never getting a job ever. And random ass people who I use to make myself feel better about my intelligence did well this semester. SDLKJFL:SDJFLJKDSF. I better fucking make a journal so I'm not a complete failure at life. Or at least keep a decent rank in like the top 30% - but probably not. Ugh. I can't believe I let myself fail like that. IP wasn't my fault, since the whole thing was a guessing game, but, I should have gotten an A- in either Con law or property. I thought I did. Ironically, I didn't even know joinder and that was my best grade.
Last edited by snowpeach06 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:04 pm

Did you keep your money?

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:09 pm

Yeah. New policy: no one loses their money. But even if that wasn't the case, you keep all with a 3.2 and half with a 2.8, so I would have been fine with a 3.4ish cumulative.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 pm

snowpeach06 wrote:Yeah. New policy: no one loses their money. But even if that wasn't the case, you keep all with a 3.2 and half with a 2.8, so I would have been fine with a 3.4ish cumulative.

Solid. That's good. You didn't do as well as you want, but all hope is not lost. Looks like that NY Times article did some good.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:17 pm

rad law wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Yeah. New policy: no one loses their money. But even if that wasn't the case, you keep all with a 3.2 and half with a 2.8, so I would have been fine with a 3.4ish cumulative.

Solid. That's good. You didn't do as well as you want, but all hope is not lost. Looks like that NY Times article did some good.

Yeah, I mean, it's one of those things where I know I didn't do that badly, and it's amazing that I'm not losing my money. And I keep telling my roomie "Ohh, it's just grades, it doesn't even matter, blah blah blah." But, it does matter, if not to others at least to myself, (because all I really have going for me is a certain level of intelligence, and without it I feel kind of hopeless). So, I'm probably just going to wallow for a couple of days, get over it, and then hopefully not relapse come me realizing I'm never going to be able to get the DC public interest jobs I want.

edit: This venting sort of makes me feel better though.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:45 pm

JordynAsh wrote:
Pauly D: I been up to Brooklyn YEAH. Too many grenades for me, bra.
Graglia: Brooklyn? You don't sound like you're from Brooklyn. What do you know about Brooklyn? What's this about grenades?

dear grags,

please grade my exam post cigar. kthx.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:56 am

Rankings are back. Didn't drop as far as I had feared: I'm still in the top 10%. Big sigh of relief.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:59 am

Just realized, also, that I never congratulated Zags on the CAlI: Good work!

non sequitur

Postby non sequitur » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:04 am

blurbz wrote:Rankings are back. Didn't drop as far as I had feared: I'm still in the top 10%. Big sigh of relief.

I assume you experienced a GPA drop. If you don't mind, how far did it decline, and how much did you tumble in rank?

I guess my larger question is: are class rank percentile shifts common from semester to semester (directed at anyone who may know)?

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:17 am

non sequitur wrote:
blurbz wrote:Rankings are back. Didn't drop as far as I had feared: I'm still in the top 10%. Big sigh of relief.

I assume you experienced a GPA drop. If you don't mind, how far did it decline, and how much did you tumble in rank?

I guess my larger question is: are class rank percentile shifts common from semester to semester (directed at anyone who may know)?

I was in the top 3% after first semester and am in the top 8% after second semester. My second semester grades weren't THAT bad (around top 20%) but I'd been worried that they were going to pull me out of the top 10% based on cumulative GPA. Thankfully that didn't happen.

To answer your question a little less personally: Most people I know in real life stayed around where they were last semester, with some moving up a little and some moving down a little, but very, very few moving too far in either direction.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”