1L grade waiting thread Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Helmholtz

Gold

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Post by Helmholtz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:30 am

Break is awesome. Zoning out to futurama, eating tons of savory and sweet homemade food, sleeping an obscene number of hours, drinking copious amounts of wine, vodka, brandy, bourbon, beer, etc., etc. Life feels good. I'm much less of a nutjob re: waiting for grades, than I expected.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:32 am

IAFG wrote:
rad law wrote:In response to my own post, IB "drink more"
nah you have choices
1) Jesus
2) booze/weed
3) prostitutes
You forgot the old standby, 4) /self

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:35 am

Helmholtz wrote:Break is awesome. Zoning out to futurama, eating tons of savory and sweet homemade food, sleeping an obscene number of hours, drinking copious amounts of wine, vodka, brandy, bourbon, beer, etc., etc. Life feels good. I'm much less of a nutjob re: waiting for grades, than I expected.
14 hours last night. it was great.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:54 am

Had a dream last night where I got an A in Crim. I'm hoping this comes true.

mths

Silver

Post by mths » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:06 am

BriaTharen wrote:Had a dream last night where I got an A in Crim. I'm hoping this comes true.
I had a dream I got a D on my memo

had to calm myself down for some time in the morning

fls

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:52 am

i cant believe you guys still have dreams about finals and grades. i guess i should be more grateful that my school refuses to release grades until winter break is over, or else I'd probably neurotically check for my grades every day as well.

relax everyone!

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 am

dailygrind wrote:
rad law wrote:Everyone I know: "How's law school?"

Me: "Ask me after grades, bro."
i get this, and a lot of "how'd you do?"

i'm shrugging it off right now, but as time goes on grades occupy my thoughts more and more. it's not going to be good for my sanity.

I just tell them I'm doing really well, the answer to every one of life's problems is lying.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:54 am

Helmholtz wrote:Break is awesome. Zoning out to futurama, eating tons of savory and sweet homemade food, sleeping an obscene number of hours, drinking copious amounts of wine, vodka, brandy, bourbon, beer, etc., etc. Life feels good. I'm much less of a nutjob re: waiting for grades, than I expected.
Gotta say, last night was the first night since leaving school on the 16th that I didn't have some sort of dream about law school.

Lots of drinking and video gaming here. I used to game an obscene amount, and since I can't during law school, I'm binging now.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:38 am

your last final ended pretty late though, right? my last one was on the 16th, and i wasn't really anxious about it at all for a few days. as time passes and i get closer and closer to seeing my grades, i get more and more anxious. i'm not at the level of serious anxiety yet, but i'm sure by 1 week into january i'm going to spend at least an hour of every day thinking about various what-if scenarios.

also a possibility: i am just setting up a self fulfilling prophecy here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NancyBotwin

Silver

Post by NancyBotwin » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:16 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote: Lots of drinking and video gaming here. I used to game an obscene amount, and since I can't during law school, I'm binging now.
Ditto. Been going nuts on WoW with Cataclysm.

Tangerine Gleam

Silver

Post by Tangerine Gleam » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:18 pm

I don't feel capable of predicting my grades with any remote accuracy. While I thought some of my exams were much harder than others and that some of my responses were better than others, none of that really matters when there's a hard curve in place. I have kept a strict policy of not talking to anyone about any exams, so I really have no clue how my classmates felt (other than generalities -- "Civ Pro was easy", "Property was hard"). I'm glad I've resisted the temptation to discuss exams, because at this point I've forgotten about most of the content and couldn't re-analyze my responses if I wanted to.

I think one can only make an accurate prediction of their exam performance if they really know that they actually fucked it up seriously.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:20 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote:I have kept a strict policy of not talking to anyone about any exams, so I really have no clue how my classmates felt (other than generalities -- "Civ Pro was easy", "Property was hard"). I'm glad I've resisted the temptation to discuss exams, because at this point I've forgotten about most of the content and couldn't re-analyze my responses if I wanted to.
If I didn't have this policy, I would have been more of a wreck than I already am.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:47 pm

Tangerine Gleam wrote: I think one can only make an accurate prediction of their exam performance if they really know that they actually fucked it up seriously.
Yayyyy civ pro

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Lilith

Bronze

Post by Lilith » Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:59 pm

I took civ pro during the summer before the official start of law school and earned a B+. That's kinda crappy, but considering it was a full course condensed into two months' time, I'll be okay, I guess. The curve is higher now, so hopefully I did better. Grades are due, I think, in the second week of January!

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:14 pm

jay115 wrote:i cant believe you guys still have dreams about finals and grades. i guess i should be more grateful that my school refuses to release grades until winter break is over, or else I'd probably neurotically check for my grades every day as well.

relax everyone!
My school doesn't release until the 4th. This doesn't stop the dreams.

clintonius

Silver

Post by clintonius » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:30 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
jay115 wrote:i cant believe you guys still have dreams about finals and grades. i guess i should be more grateful that my school refuses to release grades until winter break is over, or else I'd probably neurotically check for my grades every day as well.

relax everyone!
Yeah, but that doesn't make the advice any less legitimate. Would you people just control your damn dreams already? Jeez.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:34 pm

BriaTharen wrote:

relax everyone!
You lucky dog. 16thish for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 pm

rad law wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

relax everyone!
When did you finish? My last exam was on the 10th.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:25 pm

BriaTharen wrote:
rad law wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:

relax everyone!
Ah finished Dec. 16th. Still 3 weeks for you as opposed to 4 for me. Small consolation.

BriaTharen

Silver

Post by BriaTharen » Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:41 pm

rad law wrote:
BriaTharen wrote:
rad law wrote:
BriaTharen wrote: My school doesn't release until the 4th. This doesn't stop the dreams.
Ah finished Dec. 16th. Still 3 weeks for you as opposed to 4 for me. Small consolation.
The one thing I am happy about is we get them before we go back to class (start up again on the 10th). When do you start back up?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:03 pm

BriaTharen wrote: The one thing I am happy about is we get them before we go back to class (start up again on the 10th). When do you start back up?
We start the same time as you, so we get them a weekish after classes. The 16th isn't a precise date unfortunately. I think I might just wait until all of them are posted and check them all at the same time so I can maybe stress out less.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:31 pm

rad law wrote: we get them a weekish after classes.
even though some profs will probably give out grades before then, that sounds like an absolutely shitty week. you're gonna see on everyone's faces how well they did, and it's probably going to be the topic of conversation for a few days, and maybe a week or two. sounds extremely awkward.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Dec 26, 2010 6:54 pm

dailygrind wrote:
even though some profs will probably give out grades before then, that sounds like an absolutely shitty week. you're gonna see on everyone's faces how well they did, and it's probably going to be the topic of conversation for a few days, and maybe a week or two. sounds extremely awkward.
Yeah, NU starts classes again on the 3rd and we won't get grades until (I believe) mid-to-late Jan. Fucking evil.

jay115

Bronze

Post by jay115 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:05 pm

dailygrind wrote:
i also don't get my grades until classes start. a bunch of 2Ls have told me intersection dynamics will change once grades come out (ie gunners who get B's will stop asking obnoxious questions). so, even if i fail all my classes, i can still hope for a little silver lining.

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:11 pm

jay115 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
i also don't get my grades until classes start. a bunch of 2Ls have told me intersection dynamics will change once grades come out (ie gunners who get B's will stop asking obnoxious questions). so, even if i fail all my classes, i can still hope for a little silver lining.
i think some of the "humbling" already happened in my section after midterms. no one asks gunner questions really though. just a more subtle vibe change.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”