1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Giddy-Up

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Giddy-Up » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:19 am

What were your goals:

1. When you started law school;

2. After first semester;

3. Now?

How does median from your T2 do at OCI?

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:20 am

beach_terror wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:I don't know what to do. My GPA plummeted, but I have a good summer job, and last semester I had something bad happen 6 weeks before finals that undoubtedly affected me. First semester grades were good. Do I stay put?

School range and class rank? Also, one semesters worth of good grades is one semester more than over 50% of your class.

t2- went from deans list to about median.

So you finished at median on the year then, or was it just a semester at median?

Its also likely that I will get an offer to stay on here through next year as a student intern, and again, this is a good position in area I want to practice in. I don't know if that changes anything.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:23 am

Giddy-Up wrote:What were your goals:

2. After first semester;

3. Now?

1. to work in the area I'm in at my summer position

2. To continue my GPA and get a job in the area I'm in at my summer position

3. I want to continue law school and be employed when I graduate. I am not straight out of undergrad- and I have a really good resume in terms of the area I want to practice in. I'm not above working two jobs, three jobs, to pay bills-and I'm not above taking any job as a possible stepping stone. I want to at least do another semester and recover my GPA.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:26 am

Don't know whether to be happy or not. Straight A's but my GPA dropped.....

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

SmittenMitten wrote:
Giddy-Up wrote:What were your goals:

2. After first semester;

3. Now?

1. to work in the area I'm in at my summer position

2. To continue my GPA and get a job in the area I'm in at my summer position

3. I want to continue law school and be employed when I graduate. I am not straight out of undergrad- and I have a really good resume in terms of the area I want to practice in. I'm not above working two jobs, three jobs, to pay bills-and I'm not above taking any job as a possible stepping stone. I want to at least do another semester and recover my GPA.

Why not just see what happens with the summer job? If you get offered to stay on, and it seems like they are just going to keep you around, then your GPA no longer matters and you don't have to bother with OCI.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:28 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Don't know whether to be happy or not. Straight A's but my GPA dropped.....

Be happy. You won Lawl Skool.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:30 am

PirateCap'n wrote:Don't know whether to be happy or not. Straight A's but my GPA dropped.....

given that i think almost everyone on here who did well last semester did worse this semester to some degree, i'd be happy with that.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:35 am

traehekat wrote:

given that i think almost everyone on here who did well last semester did worse this semester to some degree, i'd be happy with that.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:42 am

traehekat wrote:

Fair enough. Happiness it is!

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:44 am

PirateCap'n wrote:
traehekat wrote:

Congrats!!!

I imagine we had similar results...slight overall drop, but impossible to be upset over it.

And, of course, the two finals I bitched about the most were my two highest grades.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 10:58 am

NarwhalPunter wrote: Congrats!!!

I imagine we had similar results...slight overall drop, but impossible to be upset over it.

And, of course, the two finals I bitched about the most were my two highest grades.

Nice. Every single one of my grades was within a point of all the others, so the two that I fellt horrible about were still only one point below the ones I felt better about. Definitely can't complain. Hoping it keeps me in the top 10% so that I can grade onto law review and don't have to rely on my write-on submission since it was horrible, but, knowing how tight the 10-20% separation was last semester, I'm not counting on it.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:12 am

PirateCap'n wrote:

Nice. Every single one of my grades was within a point of all the others, so the two that I fellt horrible about were still only one point below the ones I felt better about. Definitely can't complain. Hoping it keeps me in the top 10% so that I can grade onto law review and don't have to rely on my write-on submission since it was horrible, but, knowing how tight the 10-20% separation was last semester, I'm not counting on it.

You can have over 4.0 and not be in the top 10% at your school??

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:20 am

keg411 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

We have number grades instead of letter grades, and they're done on a 100 point scale for the GPA (e.g. a person's GPA will be a 93 instead of a 3.X). I guess my grades, in letter terms are more like all A-? I really don't know how it would translate. Either way, you can definitely have above a 90 and not make top 10% (if that answers the question).
Last edited by PirateCap'n on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:21 am

keg411 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Seriously, I thought you were just being a dick--but how can more than 2-3 people have over a 4.0? Did you pull like straight A-'s? Even then, that's top 5% at my school.
edit:
PirateCap'n wrote: We have number grades instead of letter grades, and they're done on a 100 point scale for the GPA (e.g. a person's GPA will be a 93 instead of a 3.X). I guess my grades, in letter terms are more like all A-? I really don't know how it would translate.

oh that makes sense.

edit #2: yeah, but you go to NU--having a 5.8 is like top 10% there
Last edited by Omerta on Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:22 am

Straight A- at mine is barely top 25%.

PirateCap'n

Postby PirateCap'n » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:25 am

Omerta wrote:
keg411 wrote:
PirateCap'n wrote:

Seriously, I thought you were just being a dick--but how can more than 2-3 people have over a 4.0? Did you pull like straight A-'s? Even then, that's top 5% at my school.
edit:
PirateCap'n wrote: We have number grades instead of letter grades, and they're done on a 100 point scale for the GPA (e.g. a person's GPA will be a 93 instead of a 3.X). I guess my grades, in letter terms are more like all A-? I really don't know how it would translate.

oh that makes sense.

edit #2: yeah, but you go to NU--having a 5.8 is like top 10% there

Definitely not being a dick. Having a 90+ might or might not put you in the top 10%. It's pretty close to the cutoff. Also, no I don't got to NU. I go to Wake. (Nevermind this if that was meant for Desert Fox).

keg411

Postby keg411 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 11:44 am

Thanks for clearing that up :).

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:16 pm

Desert Fox wrote:Straight A- at mine is barely top 25%.

Really? What is your median?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:26 pm

goodolgil wrote:

3.3-3.4 nobody is really sure.

But the difference between us and other schools is they mandate how many of each letter grade. At least 25% of each curved class gets an A-. Up to 37% can get an A-. And there are A+'s.

Giddy-Up

Postby Giddy-Up » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
goodolgil wrote:

But the difference between us and other schools is they mandate how many of each letter grade. At least 25% of each curved class gets an A-. Up to 37% can get an A-. And there are A+'s.

With regards to teh percent that can get an A-, is that cumulative? i.e. in a given class can 37% of the class receive a grade of either an A or A-, or is the 37% in addition to the 25% that can receive A's? Can 62% of the class receive either an A or A-? It has to be 37% total right?

Postby 09042014 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:52 pm

Giddy-Up wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
goodolgil wrote:

With regards to teh percent that can get an A-, is that cumulative? i.e. in a given class can 37% of the class receive a grade of either an A or A-, or is the 37% in addition to the 25% that can receive A's? Can 62% of the class receive either an A or A-? It has to be 37% total right?

Yea sorry, that's A- or better.

Z3RO

Postby Z3RO » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:53 pm

yeah, he means 25-37% get at least an A-.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:07 pm

Well, all of mine are in now. All A's except one A-.

I'll take it! Here's hoping for a law review grade on...

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:47 pm

A in con law and lrw! My 4.0 lives on for now!

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:53 pm

PirateCap'n wrote:
traehekat wrote:

dang. congrats. we are still missing con law for some reason. still waiting on that grade before I start to pat myself on the back.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”