1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
BenJ

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby BenJ » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:15 am

Holding steady and satisfied so far with just one grade in, Admin. Still waiting on Property and Crim, and really nervous about Crim. I was more confident in Property than Admin, so hopefully that is reflected in my grade, although Contracts, which I was most confident in, fucked me over last semester.

Also, of course my Admin professor got her grades in more than a week before they were due (June 8, and it takes two business days to post).

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:47 am

i walked out of exams feeling a little disappointed with my closing performance, but overall satisfied with how i'd performed. hanging around this thread and seeing the weakness of correlation between expectation and result has had a detrimental effect on my mental well being. june 15th cannot come soon enough.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:56 am

dailygrind wrote:i walked out of exams feeling a little disappointed with my closing performance, but overall satisfied with how i'd performed. hanging around this thread and seeing the weakness of correlation between expectation and result has had a deleterious effect on my mental well being. june 15th cannot come soon enough.

It's honestly starting to get annoying.

Property: I had my first ever panic attack during an exam. Ever. I forgot everything at once regarding future interests as soon as I looked at a 7-part future interest question, and it was closed note. I think I ended up taking rabid-unsupported guesses at 4 of them. Wrote waaaaay less for the rest of the exam than I did for any of my other exams because I spent too much time freaking out about those damn future interest questions. I felt miserable, and legitimately expected to be in C territory. Miserable.

Crim law: Had my 36 page outline memorized to the tee. Had all the rules, the common law, the MPC, all sorted out neatly. I had done several practice exams, and was fairly comfortable applying the material. Test day comes and I felt super solid about the multiple choice and threw out an absurd amount of analysis on the 90 minute issue spotter.

B in both classes. It's almost impressive how spirit-crushing law school can be.
Last edited by Mickey Quicknumbers on Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 02, 2011 11:57 am

dailygrind wrote:i walked out of exams feeling a little disappointed with my closing performance, but overall satisfied with how i'd performed. hanging around this thread and seeing the weakness of correlation between expectation and result has had a detrimental effect on my mental well being. june 15th cannot come soon enough.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:35 pm

Mickey Quicknumbers wrote:Crim law

this is the nightmare scenario. my condolences.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:50 pm

Also, my first semester grades directly correlated to how confident I felt after taking the exam, for anyone that gets freaked out by these dudes bombing stuff they thought they beasted and vice-versa.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 pm

beach_terror wrote:Also, my first semester grades directly correlated to how confident I felt after taking the exam, for anyone that gets freaked out by these dudes bombing stuff they thought they beasted and vice-versa.

and together, our anecdotes bring the correlation to 0.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:52 pm

I did the best on the ones I felt the best about. The ones I felt bad or neutral about were bad or meh.

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:53 pm

beach_terror wrote:Also, my first semester grades directly correlated to how confident I felt after taking the exam, for anyone that gets freaked out by these dudes bombing stuff they thought they beasted and vice-versa.

Mine pretty much matched, except for 1 class, but it was really easy.

IMO you can never be safe with a curved easy exam.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:59 pm

How did Muslim law turn out?

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:01 pm

TTH wrote:How did Muslim law turn out?

The final exam just wasn't a law exam. It was a social studies test. I felt good about it, but participation will drag me down. If it was curved I'd be super fucked. Uncurved who knows.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:02 pm

Second semester class, so he doesn't have it yet. YOU HEAR THAT, NU? WE'RE FUCKING WAITING.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:03 pm

mine were pretty close to where i thought they would be. one exam that i thought i might underperform on because everyone walked out feeling good, i did better than expected. one exam that was closed book, completable in an hour, and testing a very narrow, unimportant topic, i did much worse than expected; though in hindsight i should have known i wouldn't do well on that one because i didn't know much about that topic.

i think that the main issue isn't having a handle on how well you know the material, it's having a handle on how well you know the material relative to other people. it gets hard figuring out how smart everyone else in your class is.

TTH

Postby TTH » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:08 pm

bjsesq wrote:

Second semester class, so he doesn't have it yet. YOU HEAR THAT, NU? WE'RE FUCKING WAITING.

Have you guys not got any grades yet? That sucks. I'm regally glad NU told me to go pound sand I decided not to go there.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:11 pm

dailygrind wrote:

mine were pretty close to where i thought they would be. one exam that i thought i might underperform on because everyone walked out feeling good, i did better than expected. one exam that was closed book, completable in an hour, and testing a very narrow, unimportant topic, i did much worse than expected; though in hindsight i should have known i wouldn't do well on that one because i didn't know much about that topic.

i think that the main issue isn't having a handle on how well you know the material, it's having a handle on how well you know the material relative to other people. it gets hard figuring out how smart everyone else in your class is.

a friend who was in my (extremely small-and curved) legal writing section and in my larger classes as well dropped out immediately after taking her last exam. She was top 5% and was astoundingly prepared for these exams as well... I'd have liked her to stay-but I was terrified to go up against her in any exam setting.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:11 pm

TTH wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Have you guys not got any grades yet? That sucks. I'm regally glad NU told me to go pound sand I decided not to go there.

No grades. Fucking shit.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:13 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

a friend who was in my (extremely small-and curved) legal writing section and in my larger classes as well dropped out immediately after taking her last exam. She was top 5% and was astoundingly prepared for these exams as well... I'd have liked her to stay-but I was terrified to go up against her in any exam setting.

WTF, why she dropout?

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:19 pm

beach_terror wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

WTF, why she dropout?

I know, I know. To me-I will never understand it.

Second semester, our legal writing class started to get really, really difficult, and she had gotten one of the 2-3 A's allotted for first semester, and she continued to work just as hard-I'm talking 5 days a week office hours, but would get comments like
"You can't just slack off because its second semester" and she'd get less than stellar grades on her memo's. Apparently she started to just get unhinged and finally couldn't take that sort of critique anymore, she claimed that she was dropping out to be a house-girlfriend because her bf was going to have a "stressful and all consuming career" but I guess she admitted to a couple very close friends that she couldn't handle the legal writing comments.

Which...I find interesting, because we had the same professor, and he used to write that stuff on every. single. thing. I turned in, and would write comments that were so mean I'd cry in the bathroom- but I just powered through it I guess.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:36 pm

Further proof that legal writing is the worst thing about law school

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:39 pm

using pass/fail legal writing as a significant component in school selection is not a bad strategy.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:48 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:Further proof that legal writing is the worst thing about law school

Amen. my legal writing prof once returned a big assignment to me early so that I could come see him about whether or not I'd even pass the class because everything I was doing was so wrong. I was horrified and spent about twenty minutes alternately hyperventilating and sobbing and wondering if I should drop out.

What was confusing about it was that I had gone to office hours every single time they were available and he had basically told me exactly what to write-sometimes to the sentence. I read the comments and they were very, very, mean.

So I printed out the entire paper and went comment by comment and wrote a response- or wrote a question I had. Then I went to his office hours and spent 90% of my physical energy biting back tears. I went through my comments, my questions, and he said he had no idea what he meant by any of them (this was 6 hours after I got this paper back) and changed my grade.

Another time, a case we were working with involved an injury by gaseous vapors- so when I was doing facts, etc. I repeatedly used the language of the case, gaseous vapors, gaseous vapors.

He dinged me becuase "vapors, by their very nature-are gaseous".

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:51 pm

SmittenMitten wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Further proof that legal writing is the worst thing about law school

Amen. my legal writing prof once returned a big assignment to me early so that I could come see him about whether or not I'd even pass the class because everything I was doing was so wrong. I was horrified and spent about twenty minutes alternately hyperventilating and sobbing and wondering if I should drop out.

What was confusing about it was that I had gone to office hours every single time they were available and he had basically told me exactly what to write-sometimes to the sentence. I read the comments and they were very, very, mean.

So I printed out the entire paper and went comment by comment and wrote a response- or wrote a question I had. Then I went to his office hours and spent 90% of my physical energy biting back tears. I went through my comments, my questions, and he said he had no idea what he meant by any of them (this was 6 hours after I got this paper back) and changed my grade.

Another time, a case we were working with involved an injury by gaseous vapors- so when I was doing facts, etc. I repeatedly used the language of the case, gaseous vapors, gaseous vapors.

More than anything, it just seems like this guy's a bitter douchebag. Though, if your friend couldn't handle him, then she most likely couldn't have handled a similar partner.

SmittenMitten

Postby SmittenMitten » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:52 pm

OGR3 wrote:
SmittenMitten wrote:

More than anything, it just seems like this guy's a bitter douchebag. Though, if your friend couldn't handle him, then she most likely couldn't have handled a similar partner.

Yeah, that is the bottom line. I sort of think that if my friend can't handle legal writing- the stress and ridiculousness that comes from a high stress legal career would have sent her over the edge eventually. To each their own, I guess.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:53 pm

final grade in, not pretty, but at least the gpa free fall is over. end result? dropped .14. damnit :(.

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Thu Jun 02, 2011 2:42 pm

Kept my scholarship.

--ImageRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”