1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Chiglaw

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Chiglaw » Fri May 27, 2011 1:38 pm

Only grade out so far is LRW (A :) but I essentially already knew that). Having a mini heart-attack every time I check grades. Any day now my parade is going to be rained on.

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Fri May 27, 2011 2:49 pm

My school won't post grades until all professors turn them in, nor do they give first semester ranks, which truly sucks for trying to transfer.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Fri May 27, 2011 7:49 pm

A in property, B+ in LRW, there goes my 4.0...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 27, 2011 7:55 pm

rad law wrote:
Kronk wrote:
uwb09 wrote:f*ck, below median in Con Law, the GPA free fall is on :(

I studied for two hours for my midterm for Con Law and, even though I think I did well final, I am probably similarly fucked. Which is fine, because I don't think I give a fuck.

Thats the spirit brother.

yep...

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 27, 2011 7:55 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:A in property, B+ in LRW, there goes my 4.0...

:shock: What tier school do you go to? Nevermind, just noticed you are one of the few who actually posts that on your profile. Quite impressive for a T25 school! Even with the B+.... so far.

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 27, 2011 8:01 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:My school won't post grades until all professors turn them in, nor do they give first semester ranks, which truly sucks for trying to transfer.

Well, my school posts one by one, but I can't send anything out until they are all in (on transcript) in any case. But I guess the one-by-one could help me to get an idea of where I should target before all grades are out (at least to rule certain schools out potentially). All the grades for last semester came out within a few days of each other, about a month after the last exam.

With the rank, doesn't your school release median and percentile info (eg. top 25%) for each year? That should be sufficient to let you (and the schools) know what your rank is.. But I do think some schools are obviously easier to transfer out of due to certain grading policies than others.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Fri May 27, 2011 8:17 pm

I like that Illinois gets grades out pretty quick compared to a lot of schools. Ours are supposed to come out next friday, which is three weeks after our last exam. They'll probably be out earlier than that though. And it still feels painfully long.

I had a grade dream last night that I got 3 Cs. But they were all in Civ Pro. I did so bad I got multiple Cs.

NancyBotwin

Postby NancyBotwin » Fri May 27, 2011 8:28 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:I like that Illinois gets grades out pretty quick compared to a lot of schools. Ours are supposed to come out next friday, which is three weeks after our last exam. They'll probably be out earlier than that though. And it still feels painfully long.

I had a grade dream last night that I got 3 Cs. But they were all in Civ Pro. I did so bad I got multiple Cs.

I don't think you're allowed to even think you'll get one C. For you and Blurbz, that's really just not possible. For me, on the other hand.... :lol:

Lawquacious

Postby Lawquacious » Fri May 27, 2011 9:46 pm

uggghhhh.. I didn't think I would have any grades this soon, so I was totally surprised to find 4 of my 6 grades were posted... It is not pretty. I am being median pwned or worse so far. Of the 4 grades only one is an A, and it is for the 1 credit legal research class (which posts as a last semester grade, even though the class spanned both semesters). So literally right now my grades for the year are:

A (4 credits); A (4 credits); B (4 credits); A (1 credit)--- 1st semester

B (3 credits); B (3 credits); B (2 credits); ___ (4 credits); ___ (3 credits)---So far 2nd semester.

The really agonizing thing about this is knowing that for each of those Bs I literally could have been the next in line for an A, since my school only gives whole letter grades. I think with two of the above second semester grades I was probably right on the line. The fuzzy grading policy might have helped me out first semester, but I kind of doubt it-- I feel like I was probably reasonably well within A range for the two four-credit classes I got As in (I got a high A on a mid-term for one of them, and basically had a 100% average for 20% of pre-final work for the other one). I really think that I could get straight Bs this semester (god, hopefully at least no Cs), because two of the Bs I already got for this semester were actually the classes I thought I was most likely to break the A range on.

So it looks like my transfer goals (mainly has been the goal of lower T1 school -> T14 transfer) will not be met. Even if I get As in both the remaining classes I think I would be a very hard sell to any T14 school, and I really think it is unlikely I will get As in both those classes (but hopefully at least one of them!!). I have been contemplating aiming for a T20 transfer, but that is even looking very questionable at best at this point. I may even consider T25 transfer, but that is probably questionable as well (or perhaps entirely out if straight Bs or worse this semester). I would probably literally need to write an addendum with some sort of explanation for the completely different set of grades. I am somewhat inclined to transfer to T25 if possible just out of spite for my feeling that the BS grading here did end up screwing me. But I think I need to draw the line somewhere (i.e. nothing that is basically a lateral transfer) since I am on more than half scholly here and love the climate (but really don't care for the city this school is in). Admittedly, I wasn't as focused 2nd semester as I was 1st and I had some personal issues that I feel distracted me more than last semester, but I still think that with at least a couple of the Bs I got so far I was probably right on the line of an A and would therefore have 3.4/3.4/3.0 so far for this semester if the school did + and -, rather than 3.0/3.0/3.0. I didn't come here planning to transfer, but obviously got my hopes up. I think my case may serve to challenge the conventional TLS wisdom that grades are fairly consistent across the first two semesters. But then again, if the grading system here was more precise (like at most schools) the likelihood of a major shift may have been reduced.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Fri May 27, 2011 10:42 pm

sorry to hear man :( (and yeah, that is a lame grading system)

dibs

Postby dibs » Fri May 27, 2011 10:49 pm

refresh. nothing.
refresh. nothing.
refresh. nothing.
refresh. nothing.
refresh. nothing.
refresh. nothing.
email from professor. grades have been inputted.
refreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshrefreshakdsjflkasdj!!!
nothing.
nothing.
nothing.
email from professor. grades will appear online next week.

=/

NarwhalPunter

Postby NarwhalPunter » Fri May 27, 2011 11:05 pm

Lawquacious wrote:uggghhhh.. I didn't think I would have any grades this soon, so I was totally surprised to find 4 of my 6 grades were posted... It is not pretty. I am being median pwned or worse so far. Of the 4 grades only one is an A, and it is for the 1 credit legal research class (which posts as a last semester grade, even though the class spanned both semesters). So literally right now my grades for the year are:

A (4 credits); A (4 credits); B (4 credits); A (1 credit)--- 1st semester

B (3 credits); B (3 credits); B (2 credits); ___ (4 credits); ___ (3 credits)---So far 2nd semester.

The really agonizing thing about this is knowing that for each of those Bs I literally could have been the next in line for an A, since my school only gives whole letter grades. I think with two of the above second semester grades I was probably right on the line. The fuzzy grading policy might have helped me out first semester, but I kind of doubt it-- I feel like I was probably reasonably well within A range for the two four-credit classes I got As in (I got a high A on a mid-term for one of them, and basically had a 100% average for 20% of pre-final work for the other one). I really think that I could get straight Bs this semester (god, hopefully at least no Cs), because two of the Bs I already got for this semester were actually the classes I thought I was most likely to break the A range on.

So it looks like my transfer goals (mainly has been the goal of lower T1 school -> T14 transfer) will not be met. Even if I get As in both the remaining classes I think I would be a very hard sell to any T14 school, and I really think it is unlikely I will get As in both those classes (but hopefully at least one of them!!). I have been contemplating aiming for a T20 transfer, but that is even looking very questionable at best at this point. I may even consider T25 transfer, but that is probably questionable as well (or perhaps entirely out if straight Bs or worse this semester). I would probably literally need to write an addendum with some sort of explanation for the completely different set of grades. I am somewhat inclined to transfer to T25 if possible just out of spite for my feeling that the BS grading here did end up screwing me. But I think I need to draw the line somewhere (i.e. nothing that is basically a lateral transfer) since I am on more than half scholly here and love the climate (but really don't care for the city this school is in). Admittedly, I wasn't as focused 2nd semester as I was 1st and I had some personal issues that I feel distracted me more than last semester, but I still think that with at least a couple of the Bs I got so far I was probably right on the line of an A and would therefore have 3.4/3.4/3.0 so far for this semester if the school did + and -, rather than 3.0/3.0/3.0. I didn't come here planning to transfer, but obviously got my hopes up. I think my case may serve to challenge the conventional TLS wisdom that grades are fairly consistent across the first two semesters. But then again, if the grading system here was more precise (like at most schools) the likelihood of a major shift may have been reduced.

Ugh, this seems to be the trend on TLS lately. Sorry man, hopefully you killed the remaining couple of classes.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Fri May 27, 2011 11:07 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:first grade back.....A

overall GPA = top 10% (as of now)

now I'm waiting on the last 3 grades

if I can get two A's and a A- then I'll be a Kent Scholar

it'll be close but I think I have a good chance

second grade in.....another A

right now I'm top 5%.....and pretty much guaranteed Stone Scholar as a 1L

I need one more A and an A- to get Kent Scholar.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Sat May 28, 2011 12:06 am

liLtuneChi wrote:

Good luck! You seem to be the only person doing well this semester--I hope it holds up for you.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat May 28, 2011 12:37 am

Omerta wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

Good luck! You seem to be the only person doing well this semester--I hope it holds up for you.

thanks

do you go to CLS?

if so good luck to you as well.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:52 am

Omerta wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

I cannot believe you have two grades back already. I don't have a single one!!!

congratz though.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat May 28, 2011 2:05 am

swc65 wrote:
Omerta wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

I cannot believe you have two grades back already. I don't have a single one!!!

congratz though.

I got crim and my elective back. Still waiting on con law and property.

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Sat May 28, 2011 10:04 am

"since my school only gives whole letter grades. "

this is awfully bad policy

Postby 03121202698008 » Sat May 28, 2011 11:12 am

Still don't have a single grade back yet. Other sections have nearly all. WTF!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sat May 28, 2011 11:18 am

blowhard wrote:Still don't have a single grade back yet. Other sections have nearly all. WTF!

Learn to not give a shit brother.

tamlyric

Postby tamlyric » Sat May 28, 2011 11:36 am

blowhard wrote:Still don't have a single grade back yet. Other sections have nearly all. WTF!

Wut!?! :x

Joan Hollaway

Postby Joan Hollaway » Sat May 28, 2011 12:09 pm

tamlyric wrote:

I still have none, IJKL has 2. MNOP will prob get all of theirs last again which is fine by me.

thalassocrat

Postby thalassocrat » Sat May 28, 2011 12:31 pm

Joan Hollaway wrote:
tamlyric wrote:

I still have none, IJKL has 2. MNOP will prob get all of theirs last again which is fine by me.

Are we counting legal practice as a grade then? I was going to say we only have one real grade so far (IJKL). And I know some of EFGH have their LP back too. I was honestly surprised that one wasn't in right after exams, since we had all our assignments back.

viking138

Postby viking138 » Sat May 28, 2011 1:04 pm

First grade in, randomly popped up at like 9pm on a Friday night. Very, very happy with it...but it was the class I thought I'd done the best in so I'm also nervous about the other ones. I did better than expected so I'm just hoping the same will happen for the horrific property exam and the miserable elective final.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Sat May 28, 2011 4:09 pm

Book Award. I already knew the grade, so it's not that big of a deal. Still pleased though. Another line on the resume to distract from my below median first semester performance.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”