1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gamecubesupreme

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Tue May 24, 2011 12:05 pm

Last semester, I F5'D like mad.

This semester...I probably won't even check it until my friends on Facebook (or this thread) confirms for me that all the grades have been posted.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue May 24, 2011 12:46 pm

Can I transfer out of Berkeley with straight HHs? Just curious.

Omerta

Postby Omerta » Tue May 24, 2011 5:17 pm

forty-two wrote:B+ in Property. I feel like a total jerk for being upset about this, but I was counting on an A and I really thought I got one. There goes my transfer aspirations :(

Sorry to hear that--I wouldn't give up yet though. Wait to see how the rest of them come back.

I thought all of our grades come out at once; did your professor email you your grade or something?

bodhis

Postby bodhis » Tue May 24, 2011 7:38 pm

forty-two wrote:B+ in Property. I feel like a total jerk for being upset about this, but I was counting on an A and I really thought I got one. There goes my transfer aspirations :(

this just happened to me. same grade, same class.

where are you with your transfer applications? i feel like i may as well just send them anyway...

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 24, 2011 8:42 pm

LRW grade is in. Not checking.

emorystud2010

Postby emorystud2010 » Tue May 24, 2011 8:47 pm

how do u know that?

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue May 24, 2011 9:06 pm

rad law wrote:LRW grade is in. Not checking.

Amazed at your self control, bro.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Tue May 24, 2011 9:13 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Amazed at your self control, bro.

Just let it all go man. Seriously.

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Tue May 24, 2011 9:21 pm

I both love and hate my school for making us wait another 2 and a half weeks before they inform us of our grades. I love it because I don't want the next 2 weeks to be a rollercoaster of emotion in which I frantically click the refresh button every free minute. But I hate waiting on it, having no clue what my future employment prospects are until those grades are in my hands.

At least I know my LRW grade since I know the value of each assignment. It was pretty nice to have an A there, but I have a feeling it will be my only one. But I guess I won't know for 2 weeks...

mythosopher

Postby mythosopher » Tue May 24, 2011 11:38 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
mythosopher wrote:If a student's year-long GPA is below 3.1, and the school curves to a 3.3... And that would lose their full scholarship... Although they hate the drama, competition, and antisocial cynicism of law school, they like actually learning about the law. They do have a decent public interest internship in DC for this summer.

Would you suggest that person drop out? Or, rather, any advice in general?

well (1) how much of a schly are we talking here, (2) are you willing to work in public interest for 10 years and (3) what other options do you have?

Scholarship was full tuition.
Public interest had been their dream from day one.
One option is to take out tons of loans from the bank. Other option is to bail on law school and get a job.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Tue May 24, 2011 11:52 pm

mythosopher wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
mythosopher wrote:If a student's year-long GPA is below 3.1, and the school curves to a 3.3... And that would lose their full scholarship... Although they hate the drama, competition, and antisocial cynicism of law school, they like actually learning about the law. They do have a decent public interest internship in DC for this summer.

well (1) how much of a schly are we talking here, (2) are you willing to work in public interest for 10 years and (3) what other options do you have?

One option is to take out tons of loans from the bank. Other option is to bail on law school and get a job.

:shock: :shock: :shock:

That should not be an option. Is there some reason why you can't get federal loans? If you have to get private loans, drop out.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Tue May 24, 2011 11:58 pm

mythosopher wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

yeah so if you want public interest - just take out federal loans, fuck grades, find a public interest job, and then after 10 years you are debt free, have a law degree and are doing what you want to do. I see no reason why you should drop out.

of course, this presumes you can find a public interest job. but I think that in not totally unreasonable. you just have to be aware that you may have to accept a reallyyy shittt salary if push comes to shove.

plum

Postby plum » Wed May 25, 2011 2:21 am

i've been fine up until now, hardly caring about this sem's grades. but i suddenly realized that i could very well have gotten below median on each exam i took. i didn't write much, and what little i wrote was mediocre at best. so now i'm freaked out. grades come out in about 3 weeks.

soaponarope

Postby soaponarope » Wed May 25, 2011 8:25 am

plum wrote:i've been fine up until now, hardly caring about this sem's grades. but i suddenly realized that i could very well have gotten below median on each exam i took. i didn't write much, and what little i wrote was mediocre at best. so now i'm freaked out. grades come out in about 3 weeks.

FWIW, I felt the same way... in Property, I was below the maximum word count by 800 characters on each question (and it wasn't a large word count to begin with). I also was positive that I did not write an "A" exam. But, if you're like me you are just paranoid, i.e. as soon as I leave the test I question what I wrote... it's kind of like when I leave the house I am always worried that I didn't lock the front door, or I left the stove on.

Well, I got an A. Fear not, if you put in the work I am sure you did well.

OGR3

Postby OGR3 » Wed May 25, 2011 6:07 pm

I just got my crim pro grade back, and let's just say that those hundreds of episodes of Cops were good for something!

Dr. Review

Postby Dr. Review » Wed May 25, 2011 6:54 pm

OGR3 wrote:I just got my crim pro grade back, and let's just say that those hundreds of episodes of Cops were good for something!

Clearly, I only watched the same amount of cops as the average law student.
Can't complain though, as operation "Not Make a C in CivPro" was a clear success.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Got Civ and Crim Pro today and was very happy with them. Then got HelLWR grade and realized that class is going to end up costing me law review. Ridiculous.

Kilpatrick

Postby Kilpatrick » Wed May 25, 2011 7:49 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Got Civ and Crim Pro today and was very happy with them. Then got HelLWR grade and realized that class is going to end up costing me law review. Ridiculous.

That sucks. Is law review pure grade on at your school?

Borhas

Postby Borhas » Wed May 25, 2011 7:50 pm

mythosopher wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:

federal loans or a take a break or drop out

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed May 25, 2011 8:17 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:Got Civ and Crim Pro today and was very happy with them. Then got HelLWR grade and realized that class is going to end up costing me law review. Ridiculous.

Sucks man, LRW screwed me as well. The bright side is you were happy with your other grades!

starchinkilt

Postby starchinkilt » Wed May 25, 2011 8:21 pm

keg411

Postby keg411 » Wed May 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I have a grade in that I'm also not checking...
Because that part of the website is down and has been down since 2pm :(.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Wed May 25, 2011 8:45 pm

Kilpatrick wrote:

That sucks. Is law review pure grade on at your school?

No, but I didnt do the write on cause I really dont have the citation skills. Basically I need either 2 A-'s or an A and B+ to have a solid shot at law review. Otherwise I am just doing clinics I think. Still have some hope though.

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed May 25, 2011 9:19 pm

Had to break my vow not to check grades because I need as many as I have for SEMJF. LRW was out. Was expecting a B- due to shitty first memo. Did not get that. Thank you Jesus. Not even joking.

solotee

Postby solotee » Wed May 25, 2011 10:05 pm

Waiting for grades this time around is more painful for some reason. I am trying not to define myself by these effing grades, but so much rides on them :/

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”