1L grade waiting thread

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
beach_terror

Re: 1L grade waiting thread

Postby beach_terror » Fri May 20, 2011 12:40 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
I alternate between wanting to slap myself for fucking up 2nd semester and wanting to slap myself for being a doucher who's barely happy with top third.

I'm squarely in the top 25% after 1st semester, and I'm not even close to happy with it. We're elitist, it's better than being a lot of other things.

You mean like below median? Cause yeah, I'd like to actually be above median this time around. :|

But honestly, I don't really give a fuck anymore.

I meant that being elitist is better than being a lot of things (like being satisfied with where you are, lazy, etc.). Sorry if it came off differently.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Fri May 20, 2011 1:05 am

Finishing last 1L exam: awesome.

The wait for final grades/class rank: terrible.

The last bar review of the year: epic.

Just another rising 2L here, checking into this thread to partake in the sense of foreboding and pessimistic optimism.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri May 20, 2011 9:23 am

first substantive grade back

heeter-teeter.

nymario

Postby nymario » Fri May 20, 2011 10:43 am

nymario wrote:Crim A/A- : nailed a tough exam pattern when everyone was struggling for time
Torts B+/A- : Easy fact pattern, way too much time -- will be hard to stand out
Contracts A-/A : Confident on the legal analysis and this professor is very much into style, and I think I pulled some off that off too. The legal issues weren't so complicated, but I felt strong on those as well. Maybe a little to much rambling for the A.

Torts in - A+

Very surprised to have stood out in that class, maybe that the prof has hired me as an RA helped -- great feeling about semester now.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 20, 2011 10:45 am

NancyBotwin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:
I alternate between wanting to slap myself for fucking up 2nd semester and wanting to slap myself for being a doucher who's barely happy with top third.

I'm squarely in the top 25% after 1st semester, and I'm not even close to happy with it. We're elitist, it's better than being a lot of other things.

You mean like below median? Cause yeah, I'd like to actually be above median this time around. :|

:?

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 20, 2011 11:17 am

rad law wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
ac1987 wrote:Oh thank god I'm not the only one. Everyone's complaining about getting an A- in Legal Writing and I would seriously kill just to see an A- anywhere on my transcript.

But yeah, I'm screwed.

High five for being mediocre! :mrgreen:

This. I'm struggling to stay out of the B- range in LRW. Thank God I had a good grade in that class first semester.

I got a B- in LRW. The way I look at it, at one point I was scared I wouldn't pass. Makes my B- not seem that bad.

Pretzel_Logic

Postby Pretzel_Logic » Fri May 20, 2011 11:55 am

The way my school weighed LRW (and by that I mean the research portion was the bulk of the grade, an A is a 96, and it was definitely not the bulk of the work) means I'm fairly sure it's impossible to get anything other than a B (median).

Yeah, really glad my balling out in oral arguments helped me out there. Boo.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:18 pm

I'm starting to panic. I just missed median last semester and I worked really hard this semester to compensate for it. So far I have an A- in legal writing, and I can't even be excited about it because I'm so anxious about the rest of my grades saving my GPA (and not to mention my scholly which requires median). Civ pro and con law were brutal, so I'm really hoping the curve will help me. If I end up in the same boat this semester I really don't know what to do. :cry:

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Fri May 20, 2011 1:50 pm

mhd08 wrote:I'm starting to panic. I just missed median last semester and I worked really hard this semester to compensate for it. So far I have an A- in legal writing, and I can't even be excited about it because I'm so anxious about the rest of my grades saving my GPA (and not to mention my scholly which requires median). Civ pro and con law were brutal, so I'm really hoping the curve will help me. If I end up in the same boat this semester I really don't know what to do. :cry:

if you lose your scholarship and are below median at Pitt?

I'd say either consider dropping out or Public Interest (loan forgiveness is a godsend to indebted, below median students).

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:58 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
mhd08 wrote:I'm starting to panic. I just missed median last semester and I worked really hard this semester to compensate for it. So far I have an A- in legal writing, and I can't even be excited about it because I'm so anxious about the rest of my grades saving my GPA (and not to mention my scholly which requires median). Civ pro and con law were brutal, so I'm really hoping the curve will help me. If I end up in the same boat this semester I really don't know what to do. :cry:

if you lose your scholarship and are below median at Pitt?

I'd say either consider dropping out or Public Interest (loan forgiveness is a godsend to indebted, below median students).

I've been on TLS long enough to know that this is the default answer, but I want to get my grades before I start considering something as drastic as dropping out. Hopefully I don't have to resort to that.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri May 20, 2011 2:01 pm

For now, just try to relax. You can't do anything until you get all your grades. If you worked harder, there's a good chance you did better.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:07 pm

beach_terror wrote:

For now, just try to relax. You can't do anything until you get all your grades. If you worked harder, there's a good chance you did better.

Thanks, I'm trying. The waiting is just starting to get to me. Really hoping my hard work paid off.

nymario

Postby nymario » Fri May 20, 2011 2:20 pm

nymario wrote:
nymario wrote:Crim A/A- : nailed a tough exam pattern when everyone was struggling for time
Contracts A-/A : Confident on the legal analysis and this professor is very much into style, and I think I pulled some off that off too. The legal issues weren't so complicated, but I felt strong on those as well. Maybe a little to much rambling for the A.

Torts in - A+

Contracts in too - A, Crim will probably be brutal, since I did well in the classes I thought were less likely As...

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:30 pm

You guys are all douches.

Just putting that out there.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 20, 2011 2:34 pm

Kronk wrote:You guys are all douches.

The fuck you been, dipshit?

ac1987

Postby ac1987 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:40 pm

You mean you don't want to hear about how upset I am that I might get an A- this semester and only 3 A+'s?

Where is your compassion?

ac1987

Postby ac1987 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:43 pm

beach_terror wrote:
NancyBotwin wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
BeenDidThat wrote:

I meant that being elitist is better than being a lot of things (like being satisfied with where you are, lazy, etc.). Sorry if it came off differently.

I'm not sure how this explanation helps, but ok.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Fri May 20, 2011 2:45 pm

aka, DH20man's reasons for starting this thread were a great success.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 pm

bjsesq wrote:

In the NBA thread and pretty much nowhere else. Also, slacking off at BoalTTT.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Kronk wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Slacking at NU is more fun. Less hippies.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri May 20, 2011 2:51 pm

ac1987 wrote:I'm not sure how this explanation helps, but ok.

Seems pretty clear to me.

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kronk wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

Slacking at NU is more fun. Less hippies.

Less sunlight.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri May 20, 2011 2:52 pm

Kronk wrote:Less sunlight.

Great for vamps. Also: less patchouli.

solotee

Postby solotee » Fri May 20, 2011 3:03 pm

nymario wrote:
nymario wrote:

Torts in - A+

Contracts in too - A, Crim will probably be brutal, since I did well in the classes I thought were less likely As...

Racking it in, congrats man!

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Fri May 20, 2011 3:12 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Kronk wrote:Less sunlight.

Great for vamps. Also: less patchouli.

I can send you some hemp to help you fight them off.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”